Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Stalin samples topic
  • 293 Replies sorted by
  • @bwhitz, I cant believe I just watched that video and thought it looked amazing and "HD" wasnt even turned on! And it still looked HD! I think that's the 1st time I've ever been tricked like that. I cant usually tell right off. Excellent footage
  • A side-by-side comparison hacked/unhacked of these scenes would be interesting. I suppose you would get exact the same results with an unhacked GH2...
  • @bwhitz

Amazing, super quality, real cinema ...
  • @bhwitz

Absofuckingluetely gorgeous. Really awesome look and feel - and the blacks held up amazingly well. Are these settings identical to kae's save for max 50 bit rate?

Cheers
  • @bwhitz
    >Here's my first test shots with the 3-GOP setting... let me know what you guys think!<<br />+1
  • @last_SHIFT

yep, these are kae's exact settings... actually, I think they are the first ones he posted, I'm pretty sure he has revised them since then... Nice work Kae! Also, thanks to Vitally for making amazing footage like this possible! And all coming from a $1000 camera!!!... just amazing how we're able to get such quality for so little theses days!

Thanks for all the support GH2 community! We're on to something big!

@Ian_T

yea, I've also noticed the footage looks allot like Red... I didn't want to say it first, in fear of the backlash (lol), but it is strikingly similar. I was actually going to post this up at RedUser as Epic footage, but I'm thinking I may have gotten death threats upon the big "surprise! It's actually GH2 footage!" reveal. Damn, should have done it anyways... ;)
  • the current settings of @kae for 1080/24pH GOP3, of @kae and @Butt for 720 50/60p GOP6 and @Butt for 1080/30p 105MBit MJPeg see here: seta.zip - all modes including

seta.zip
    478B
    27b8fff519bf9448b115c2252ca55b.zip
    437B
  • @bwhitz

great great looking footage! what in camera settings did you use? (film modes, iso, etc.)
  • @APXmusic

Great work, high quality ...
  • Also forgot to mention that most of these shots are ISO 1250!!! It's crazy good!!! The shots in the subway train are ISO 640! Although... I do suspect that Panasonic rates ISO values lower... ISO 1250 on the GH2 looks like ISO 800 on a 7D. Or maybe Canon rates theirs higher? I dunno, it's great either way! The noise on the GH2 with this hack looks like straight up film grain, I love it!
  • Very very good image, I wanted to know about how the image holds up to the grading. Most people who use the camera image as is won't see that big quality improvement from the stock image. That is why you will see people questioning the hack, but for those that have tried to lift the dark part even only a little bit, will see how huge it is.

@bwhitz
    Just a suggestion. Why don't you post the video in the low gop thread, because perhaps it would more appropriate to talk the technical details their.
  • @bwhitz >>I was actually going to post this up at RedUser as Epic footage, but I'm thinking I may have gotten death threats upon the big "surprise! It's actually GH2 footage!" reveal. Damn, should have done it anyways... ;) <<<br />

LOL... Now that would have made my day.
  • 3GOP 65 Mbit -
  • umm . . . I'm watching the bwhitz clip and it goes all blocky and jerky on me. If I pause and click along the timeline it looks great, but it won't play properly. ???
  • 15 seconds of cinematic motion
    W/ kae's extreme 3 gop (max of 75mbps):

[be sure to download original]
  • @Sage
    wow, amazing, well done

• Shot with "42 mbps" stable settiings
  • @Sage: Oh my! That IS cinematic motion (and BEAUTIFUL colors there!). Excuse me for not reading all recently, but is the 'gop 3' setting the base used for all/most patches now? Is this also what gives this real nice motion? I remember there being a discussion where it was either very nice motion OR very high quality. This looks like both.
  • Sage,

the woman's shot is thrilling. I must say though that camera movement, music, framing, editing do add a little cinematic feeling to those 15 seconds as well, not just 3-GOP motion ;)
  • @Sage Great stuff! Camera movement is excellent!
  • Are people trying different frame rates, or is everyone the same. If so, I'd be very interested to know what are they?
  • @edun

Yes, the 3GOP gives us (what we feel) is more cinematic motion rendering. Some people don't see or believe that it makes a difference... it's in a heated debate right now. :)
  • Thank you feha, edun, chip, bhwhitz, and Butt!

@edun
    With kae's last settings, it is possible to achieve full bitrate quality for 3 gop. (the earlier settings weren't good enough) For most though, a 6 gop with a simple 42mbps entry will be more than enough. At 6 gop, there is hardly a drop in efficiency, and the 42mbps is an excess of bitrate.
    @chip
    I agree on the shot; its a little secret hidden in there ;)
  • If you want to download something ugly. Raw file. Average total bitrate 93.7mb at ISO 12800. Need to be logged into vimeo.
    http://vimeo.com/download/video:59740649?v=2&e=1311586446&h=d1b8c1ee21ad449d9bd2178e05068d99&uh=a81093962c3bd6758d0e4895ea372fb6
    The shots in the following video range from 90-96mb average at ISO 12800. The first shot is the original, the following is cleaned with Neat Video.
    bitrate.jpg
    1307 x 690 - 271K