Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool 3.61d topic
  • PTool v3.61d released

https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

GH2:

Wastly improved Video Bitrate patches.
    Many new encoder related patches for testers added.
    Few minor software bug fixes.
  • 352 Replies sorted by
  • CobyD,
    Yes, you are correct about being able to go back to original settings with that simple method. I uploaded some settings listed in the Extreme thread -- and while it worked, and seemed to give great results, only the 24p would function. If I pressed the record button when not on the 24p setting, it would just reboot the camera. So it's good to be able to test the great new settings and go back if necessary.

Have made my first donation for the cause! Looking forward to seeing this evolve! Great work everyone! And thanks.
  • @CobyD Thanks for the quick response.

@alcomposer I'm going to see if I can haggle the price down to $900 for the kit with 14-42.
  • @sSTEV

FYI - On a side note since you're in town you can get the Voigtlander 25/0.95 for about $150 cheaper here than what they are charging at Adorama.
  • @sSTEV. Yes - the hack enables you to switch back and forwards between PAL (24P, 720p50, 1080i50) and NTSC (24P, 720p60, 1080i60). It also allows the language to be changed.

@Madhatter. I believe you would simply reload the original GH2__V10.bin firmware into PTool and not check any checkboxes except "Version increment". (Note the version doesn't actually increment on the camera - it stays at 1.0)
  • hey @sSTEV what sort of price are you getting it for?
  • Hey everybody, I wanted to know if the hack allows 60i on PAL GH2. I am going to buy one soon while I'm here in shanghai, and I need 60i when I go back to the USA.
  • Hi Vitaly and all -- congrats on getting so far on this great project! One thing I have not been able to find in the forums is whether the hack affects the photographic side of the camera at all, and also, whether it is reversible. If you load the hack, are you able to go back to original programing should you wish? Thanks in advance.
  • @bdegazio I believe Mr. V has stated that AVCHD optimization is first priority, and for the most part, it seems as if this is exactly how he's going about things. He'll crack that first, then move on to the next important thing after, I'm sure.
  • Thanks for the great work Vitaly! I've been using the "stable" (42/35) 24H setting on a fiction project and getting lovely pictures (even at 3200ASA!), but wanted to report that the sound is 2 frames out of sync (ahead of picture). My shoot is all double-system with a slate, so it's no big deal (Just means the editor can't be lazy and use Plural Eyes), but I wanted to report this in case no one had before.
  • @bdegazio

there is no way - until now!
    perhaps with a new Ptool by Vitaliy?
  • What is the current state of research on the 1080i->1080p patch? Has it been abandoned or has anyone had some success with it?

• I may do- I have a 24 MB per second SDHC memory card, I just have look up how too get it hacked and implament the settings with the hack.
  • +1, do it now. It's easy, and quick, and there's enough stable stuff even if you just up the bit rate to 42, its still worth it. And that way, you'll have gone through the process a couple times by the time there's something you REALLY want to try.
  • @chrimsbroome Do it now! Stable is here :) I'm using the settings from this post: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/7646#Comment_7646 . They are conservative - a moderate but substantial increase in video quality - but appear totally stable. I have cannot find a scene that will crash the codec with these settings. Just did an evening of shooting while sailing with these settings - lots of shots of water and wake and no problems, and they pass my "codec death speaker grille shooting" test.
  • Thats good, keep up the good wook lads. I will hack my GH2 when I am sure that enough added features and stable video hacks is implamented.

:-)
  • >so how does this work?

Quite ok :-)
    We are still focused on encoder.

>will there be subsequent versions of PTools as the hacking progresses?

Yes, of course.
  • hacked my GH2 tonight in 10 minutes tops! Thanks Vitaliy, and all the testers! Just used the 42000000 and 35000000 recommended settings for 24H and 24L, Went smoothly, very easy. I'm waiting for a Ciecio7 FD to M4/3 adaptor. Once that comes, I'll get Vimeo+ and start in on some high quality stuff! (Eager to try out the short GOP stuff).

@Vitaily so how does this work? will there be subsequent versions of PTools as the hacking progresses?
  • That would be awesome!
  • I'd also be interested to test MJPEG resolutions beyond 1920x1080. While that was the maximum practical resolution on the GH1, the GH2 is clearly capable of recording reliably at significantly higher MJPEG bitrates and resolutions.

1920x1080 is only a little smaller than DCI 2K 16:9 resolution: 2048x1152. This frame size can be easily cropped to 2048x1080, the delivery resolution for digital cinema format. Shooting at 2048x1152 would also make it more convenient to intercut GH2 MJPEG footage with Red 2K footage.

2560x1080 is the frame size used in widescreen 21:9 cinema displays such as the Philips:
    http://www.philips.co.uk/c/cinema-21-9/30849/cat/

If you used a 1.33X anamorphic lens with a 2560x1080 MJPEG frame size, the GH2 would produce native widescreen video files that would not require post-production stretching.
  • Just load @LPowell's ini and change 480p width to 1440 and 480p height to 1080 and use that VGA MJPEG mode in-camera for anamorphic shooting. With new PTools it works great.

A question for @Vitaliy_Kiselev - why is MJPEG resolution currently restricted to max 1920 and 1080? Going further produces no improvement in resolution? Or just too unreliable?
  • @pwc There is a .ini file in lpowell's post to the right of the two photos at the end of his post:
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/479/100mbps-gh2-low-light-mjpeg-1080p-patch#Item_43
    On the other hand, I can't find a .ini in EOSHD post, just a listing within his post:
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/350/eoshd-80mbit-mjpeg-43-for-2x-anamorphic-shooting/p1
  • @aljimenez Thank you for the translation sir!
  • @aljimenez In the July 23 LPowell post the link to the ini file of the 100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch is missing. As for EOSHD I couldn't find any posted ini files.
  • @APXmusic I think he means there is a thread for posting stable settings, and he listed the link to the thread
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions