Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool 3.61d topic
  • 352 Replies sorted by
  • @Tomaso

The issue is when the initial I and P frames stay low for several to many frames. If it starts low but very quickly jumps up then there is no noticeable quality loss.

Here is an example of a poor start to a video. This kind of bit rate will result in a macro block intensive first second. Examples like this should be avoided. That is why stream parser is so important in testing. Thanks Chris.
    Poor start to video.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 362K
  • @chrimsbroome

What stops the GH2 from being used as a broadcast camera straight out of the box? Well unless you are in PAL land and they require 1080p @ 25 FPS. It won't do that natively......yet.
  • Heres the shots that usually cause me crashes...but not with 32mbps
  • @mpgxsvcd 420 and bitrate stops it from being broadcast. it can be used as a b cam if small amount of footage is used, but no major channel will commission anything intended to be shot on 420, and low bitrate.

if you want a better idea of the tech specs, check here. they are always subjective to the commissioning editor, who has the last word, but it's a good start
    http://dhd.discovery.com/guidelines/guidelines.html
  • Sorry above BMPs are too big
    Here jpegs of 32mbps avchd
    24p.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 788K
    720p.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 384K
    1080.50i.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 683K
  • I applied the patch and so far no issues on testing 24p native and in wrapper. Also 720 @ 60p. I did a 3.3 gig file over 10+ minutes at the 42,000,000 mbits/sec and that seemed to work. Haven't needed to test the 35,000,000 rate as the 42,000,000 has worked.

Question, I'm thinking of testing a 20-40 minute record time with high bit rate. Any issues/concerns for overheating? Will the camera shut itself down if heat gets too much ? Is this a reckless thing to try at this stage?

VK, thanks for the Hack.

• @Mimirsan I see a huge difference in the lower mid section of grass between the 1st and 3rd pics in regards to pixelation. Then again I'm making a comparison between progressive and interlaced. Do you have any before-and-after screen captures (with and without the 32mbps hack)?

(if so, post here please: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/426/gh2-stalin-samples-topic)

• -download the original to watch on 1080p monitor!
  • @sparedog Interesting to see those specs. No idea anyone still used DA88 for audio any more!
  • @Sage

I know you are right for most studios. However, I still disagree. Lot's of scenes in Storm Chasers is shot with Sony or Panasonic hand held camcorders. If your content is compelling enough then they will accept it.

If you showed up to Discovery channels door step with a season’s worth of footage shot with a GH2 from inside tornadoes you would probably have your own show as well.

After looking at the requirements it looks like if you shot it in 1080i/60 with the GH2 you would be fine. I don't see any restrictions for bit rate, 4:2:2, or codec listed on that page.
  • @jfro

Try to view one of your files in playback mode in the camera and you will see the problem with using 42 mb/sec.
  • New issue here with mpgxsvcd 32 mbit settings:

720p60 ex-tele [off] = very stable at all
    720p60 ex-tele [on] = crash after a few seconds, also with less details with small dof

Has someone the same problem?
  • @sage:

Thanks for your video, but I think we need a before - after (original / hacked) comparison to perceive the differences.
  • A suggestion, keep the high-bitrate settings unmodified, and only change the low ones. Then you can shoot the same footage with the original and modified settings to compare without having to reflash (also useful if you need to get a shot on location and the modified setting screws up).

Never do it. Bitrate for higher mode must be always larger (at least 4Mb).
  • @Angry_C
    With all comparions for before/after make special topic, please in Showcase.
  • okay vitaliy, sry
  • @Angry_C

I haven't tried ETC extensively yet. I tried it a couple of times indoors last night and it worked fine.

I actually haven't seen the camera lock up at all since I went to the 32 mb/sec settings and I have taken a lot of footage now.
  • @Angry_C
    "there´s much unsharpness in your screenshots, that decrease the detail level.
    Use f-stop 11 with the pancake and it would crash in FSH (1080i) mode I think.
    Or record grass on the ground with exact focus. "

I tested this an confirmed crash behavior in FSH.

Parameters: FSH (with suggested hack settings), SanDisk Class 10 (30MB/s), manual focus, F11, filming grass. I started recording with the grass completely out of focus (blobs of green). Then brought the grass into sharp focus and panned camera. Crash occurred very soon after sharp focus requiring removal of the battery. If picture remained blurry, FSH crash did not occur.

I did not experience this crash behavior with 24H, 24p80% or SH recording (suggested hack settings), SanDisk Class 10 (30MB/s), manual focus, F11, filming grass.
  • @v10tdi

Can you post your settings file. I want to make sure nothing else is set. Mine hasn't crashed at all.
  • It's not really a .zip file.
    Just rename to .ini
    seta.zip
    884B
  • @V10tdi

As I expected you have lots of other settings(AVC-HD overall bit rate, encoder settings...etc) configured. Just set the Video Bit rate FSH/SH and 24p to 32000000. Don't change anything else and it won't fail. Your settings are what is breaking the video.
  • I only set FSH/SH and 24p to 32000000 and it fail sometimes without ex-tele and everytime with ex-tele.

Now I just wait some days to have user-summary results.

• @Angry_C

Can you post your settings file like v10tdi did?

• Film look test. Used "50000000" for 24H. Runs smoothly, but still a little glitchy in crop mode.
  • > Never do it. Bitrate for higher mode must be always larger (at least 4Mb).

Now you tell me ; ). That's a day's outdoor test footage wasted. Can the settings be made independent eventually?

I want to be able to shoot unmodified 24H and 42mbps without reflashing, so I can shoot the same footage with both settings. So if I set 24H to 42mbps and 24L to 22mpbs, will 24L look exactly like unmodified 24H?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions