Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool 3.61d topic
  • 352 Replies sorted by
  • The first second is pretty much useless - the blip is fairly extreme. Who cares, though? Just think of yourself as a hotshot IMAX camera operator - you have to wait for the camera to come up to speed and then you yell "SPEED". Come to think of it, an IMAX camera can't come up to speed as fast as the GH2VK. Therefore the GH2VK outperforms the IMAX! WOW! Ok, so it's a little out of context...

Chris
  • If anyone wants to share uncompressed video - you can use http://www.sendoid.com/ to instantly share very large files (download their Adobe Air client that work on any platform).
    Of course you need good connection as it uses p2p tech.
  • @cbrandin

:-)
    We'll fix it with time. And remember, you have many other things to try now :-)
    Btw, it is always good to have low starting bitrate for stability.
  • Very true. I remember this was one of the keys to getting high bitrates to work with the GH13. This may actually be somewhat of a blessing.

Chris
  • About 1st sec hic-ups. It's always a good practice to run about 5 seconds of pre-roll anyways (maybe more maybe less). Anyone who works with video typically does that already , so unless Bigfoot suddenly pops out and charges you from the woods....it doesn't really matter.
  • Using just the "suggested values," 720p SH records at a 4-5mb. The attached file shows 720p SH mode with just the suggested changes

(notice: if you are looking at this thread and have this issue make sure that you have the correct number of zeros on the end of your FSH/SH bitrate)
    720p.jpg
    1295 x 677 - 258K
  • @plasmasmp: 720p50 look also on encoder settings topic ...42MBit-rate with B-frames
  • (edit) not an issue
  • @plasmasmp

Try to adjust value a little, lower or higher.
    I tested 720p and all had been fine.
  • Stupid mistake. Missing a "0" at the end of FSH/SH bitrate. You'd think I'd know better by now. I looked at it a hundred times then finally figured out.
  • Raw footage shot with the GH2 and Ptools 3.61d using Vitaliy's recommended settings for 1080 24p. End user settings only.

Footage was shot against a plasma plate to provide a lot of action in the footage to ensure the bitrate was high. Bitrate shits out for the first few frames. Not a big deal.

SD Card is a 16GB Transcend Class 10

Vimeo
    Login to download RAW footage.

Youtube

File: E:\temp\Hacked Panasonic GH2 1080 24p PTools 3.61d 42mbps Recommended Base Settings.MTS
    Size = 174,526,464 Bytes (908,992 Packets)
    Stream: Max Speed = 45,275,110 bps
    Mode = 1080/24pN
    PCR Timing Interval = 0.095 seconds
    Clip Time = 0:00:31.57
    Average Total Bitrate = 44,222,143
    Average Video Bitrate = 42,703,063
    Average Audio Bitrate = 470,168
    Average Other Bitrate = 1,048,911
    Max GOP Size = 3,092,928 Bytes (24,743,424 bits)
    Video Frame Size (Min/Ave/Max)= 25,728 / 227,184 / 772,416
    Panasonic-GH2-1080-24p-PTools-3.jpg
    1406 x 827 - 124K
  • AVHCD Compression

I tried
    FSH: 36 Mbit
    FH: 24 Mbit
    and
    24H: 36 Mbit
    24L:24 Mbit
    for me only these values are enough stable for my SD cards
    works great on:
    SanDisk class10 Extreme 30mb/s 16GB
    and
    Transcend class 6 32 GB ...
    No crashes, tried 40Mbit there was crashes on intense scenes ...
    (faster SD cards might work ...)
    Not much saturation at 36 Mbit, much better than 17 Mbit at 1080/50i ...

Thank you VK

File: F:\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM\00000.MTS
    Size = 366 938 112 Bytes (1 911 136 Packets)
    Stream: Max Speed = 38 614 520 bps
    Mode = 1080/50i
    PCR Timing Interval = 0,095 seconds
    Clip Time = 0:01:17,32
    Average Total Bitrate = 37 965 660
    Average Video Bitrate = 36 805 478
    Average Audio Bitrate = 235 072
    Average Other Bitrate = 925 109
    Max GOP Size = 2 686 080 Bytes (21 488 640 bits)
    Video Frame Size (Min/Ave/Max)= 37 248 / 187 875 / 408 960
  • (never mind, solved)

Also, just to confirm for anyone running Linux/debian variants, PTool works nicely with Wine out of the box.
  • @Ptchaw

Patches for End Users > AVCHD Movie Mode > AVCHD Compression > Video Bitrate 24H

When you click it, a little window pops up and gives suggested values. Edit your settings accordingly.
  • Mr. V. just to clarify . . . 3.61d has "end user" friendly, stable settings, correct? (Along with, of course, properly labeled and easily avoided "tester" settings.) Also, is there a topic dedicated to the finer points of running PTools on Macintosh? I looked around but didn't see one.
  • On Transcend Class 10 32GB cards I get:

FH 35Mbits No Crashes.
    FSH 42Mbits Recommended Settings Crash if heavy scene detail and or Motion. Cannot Write To card.
    24H No problems at 42Mbits it wont crash yet. Seems to be solid. However get some weird artifacts. "Some objects on the scene seem to be dancing in place independent of where they should be statically located."

I will however reduce to 3x Mbits on all modes until I can get a faster card that wont hang.

Only way to wake up from crash is to take battery out.

Thank you Vitaliy, I donated months ago but will again. :D
  • FWIW - Hacked SH footage using suggested settings would not play well on Panasonic Viera HDTV. Occasional video slowdown and stuttering audio. Same footage plays fine on MacBook Pro where video and audio quality was excellent.
  • can anyone give us a standard patch for gh2 hack? or can we use any patch we used in GH13?
  • For testers only.

3 GOP 24P Footage Tests successful with new Ptools is posted here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/335/ptool-3.61d-gh2-avchd-encoder-settings/p4

I'm getting about a 46mbit average video rate with a stable 3GOP.
  • @blues
    You don't need any "standard patch" here.
    Just go to bitrate settings, look to hints and input this value. It is simple as that.
  • @kae

Does anyone know of any other stream-analyzers though? Streamparser will not work with Winebottler because of a bug with NET Framework 4 or something...
  • @kae
    Please try to keep GOP changed settings to corresponding topic. :-)
    As all you are actually doing is reducing quality :-)
  • @bwhitz
    GOP related part of your post deleted.

Consider this topic "GOP free". Use proper ones.

for Wine google at "Wine NET Framework installation".
  • Successfully patched my Japanese GH2 using PTool 3.61d through Wine on Mac, how nice to finally have English menus! Will post footage with the recommended settings tomorrow. Outstanding work Vitaliy!
  • Guys, can anyone tell me precise value after that we got bitrate dropping to very low, like 6x bitrate?
    How about binary search?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions