Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • The originals from the camera is fantastic no matter how fast I pan around. Off course that is 50fps but it should be possible to get better results on 30fps than what I get. Take the start of this video. I need to learn more about codes and setup. What free codecs do you guy use out there? (or even what is worth paying for). The only thing I do mostly is to enhance the contrast and sharpen a touch. But I have had the problems before I started doing that. http://vimeo.com/jojoen/vaset17130006

• In Windoze I use process troublesome clips using AVIsynth and Virtualdub. K-Lite codecs provide all you need. But these are tools for people who are familiar with using scripted programming languages. They are free, and they can do just about anything. Plenty of plug-ins for both -- for example -- Gunner Thalin's 'deshake' filter for Virtualdub is superb, and very configurable.

IMO, to handle AVCHD Lite it is best to create the DGindex and AVIsynth command files with MeGUI (another free tool).

But I am lazy, so I use Cineform for my main codec, Sony Vegas for the final mixdown... Both are commercial packages costing more than the LX7. Both save me time and keep the overall quality high...

Finally, I have stacks of 2TB RAID 1 arrays to store footage for posterity. The drives are cheap. I have fire-proof boxes full of old footage (it will come in useful one day LOL).

• Daniel, I use the LX7 with my two GH1s. When everything is set for 1080p the three cameras look good together. Plan on using the LX7 for a shot where you're not worried about shallow DOF. The lens is good for some lower light conditions, but it won't compare to what you can get out of your GH.

My problem is that I have to shoot my little radio/TV show on 720 because of the clip length. The lower bitrate of the 720 on the LX7 is noticeable next to what I get out of the GH1s. Seems like the clip length is a priority over 24p, but having both and higher data rate would be ideal.

• when will the hack - Vitaliy?

• @DailyFilmFix

I fully intended on using this as a wide camera, or mid-close in multicam situations which will be required. I'm also in the midst of planning a short film in which I plan on using the LX7 as my primary cam. From the tests I've seen, the little F1.4 lens is really impressive.

My guess is, I will have less problems cutting my LX7 footage in with my GHx footage than I did with my HV30 "b" and "c" cams.

Most of the weddings I shoot don't last longer than half an hour anyway... and if I have to run back and hit record on the camera, then so be it. It won't be as bad as shooting with a Canon DSLR where (without ML) I have to run around and hit record on my cams every 12 minutes.

I've made the purchase on this camera already, I should have it very very soon.

• I'm very happy with the camera for video. The problem I'm having is that I haven't figured out the best use for it on my local TV show. For example, this week I decided to use it wide but unfortunately pointed at the window in the radio studio. At 720p, the camera did not handle it well. It would have been better on me and one of my GH1s in the wide position. Next month, I'll get it set up better. Look for the March show link this week.

• I have been mixing Lx7 with my GH3 video footage ... on occasion they mix well but, most of the time they don't work so well. I would like to see some control over frame rate like a 24p mode. I understand it could take a really long, long time for conditions or access to firmware to reverse engineer. So for the mean time it would be good to get suggestions for best settings. I pull my LX7 for close shots (if i don't have time to change lens on GH3) or for low light because its good. I am not the only one who just bought LX7 because its like getting a fast+macro lens with a free camera.

Its clear that it jumps and skips in panning situations and so an all Intra hack of any frame rate would of course be a magical thing to have, or just higher bit rate as others say. There are things you can do though, shooting depth of feild where you have a lot of blur around subject - your codec will handle that excellently and then the LX7 performs great. I also wish 720p would have higher bit rate, its right down in the 7mbit zone - would be fine to use 720p but its not as nice as the top end 1080 even for faster motion shots in my limited experience.

I am honestly just still learning a lot so sharing video - good video and saying how it was acheived on LX7 is great. The best hack is understanding how to get the most of what you already have without waiting for a magic bullet.

To Vitaliy - do you need to wait for a firmware update for LX7 or are you reading whats on the camera to get kicked off? Assuming you have time at all for this. Its Venus engine, does it have same number of CPUs as GH3 does? Is Venus engine just a marketing term and the CPUs are completely different - given that i am too chicken to open my cameras and look at the actual boards inside.

• To Vitaliy - do you need to wait for a firmware update for LX7

Yep.

Venus is marketing term. But LX7 seems to be from same generation as G5.

• @itsjaba: "Its clear that it jumps and skips in panning situations and so an all Intra hack of any frame rate would of course be a magical thing to have, or just higher bit rate as others say."

No. Jumping and skipping is not a codec issue but may be due to optical stabilization, which has a difficult time distinguishing betweeen unwanted camera movement and deliberate movement. The result is that it resists at first to the camera moving. Macro blcoking is what occurs from codec deficiencies. If what you observe with camera panning were a codec problem you would see moving subjects (holding still camera) "jumping and skipping". You do not (unless the subjects are actually jumping and skipping, if you know what I mean).

"I also wish 720p would have higher bit rate, its right down in the 7mbit zone ."

No. The LX7 72060p is 17Mbps, not 7. That is comparable to the 28Mbps for 108060p.

The need for higher bitrates for AVCHD is not as obvious as most people assume.

• Thanks for all your replies - and corrections Markr and Vitaliy.

Markr - the codec data output is variable, so if you shoot a shot where very little is happening - then look at the file Length vs size = rate you can end up with ... see attached report from windows. (Note that other files it confirms the right bit rate almost all the time, just some of these more still long video shots its well under the bitrate. Where i am shooting 720p/60 and geting 7-8Mbit. I saw this happen a few times when the camera is on a tripod ... now with the GH3 it will tend to use the bitrate.

Optical image making pan stutter - great to know. I am in your debt. I started using Nikon manual lenses which obviously don't have OIS and i am getting a good fluid-head so i can see how when OIS is your friend and when it is not.

I see this a lot with live video streaming codecs - and yeah, it can be great to have a lower bit rate and smaller file. You can rejoice ... if the codec did its job but when i look at the image quality, i am not sure its tuned right - could be getting more detail. So ... just imagining how something like the GH2 hack could benefit video quality in future if it happens.

lx7_longvideo_smallrate720.PNG
    291 x 212 - 6K
  • You are correct, vbr can result in lower bitrates than the specfied maximum (I was not sure you were talking about the bitrate minimum or the spec (max)), and an efficient processor does vary the bitrate a lot. And as you say, still scenes do not require a lot of bits, unless there is a great deal of detail.

Most manuals specifically recommend turning off the OIS if a tripod is used.

• My experience has been that the 720p does not mix well with my hacked GH1. The image quality is the problem, I think. Honestly, I've not tried it in a professional setting on a regular paying job. My little TV show is self-shot (with 4 cameras), and it is a very small and frustrating space--a radio station studio.

But I do set everything (except focus with the LX7) manually. My custom film profile is -2 across the board on all cameras and white balance dialed in eyeballed. I'm not sure what film profile on the LX7 compares to "smooth" on the GH1. I used spot monitoring and under exposed a couple clicks (I try to do this all the time). And this week, I just guessed wrong. Look for the example when I post the show.

I have another documentary project starting soon, and it would be awesome to have a hack for the LX7 by that time. And I need to donate, I know.

The fast lens and ability to shoot completely manually makes the LX7 great. If the bitrate was increased and the clip length limit were lifted this camera would be a terrific true "C" cam for me.

• "The wide with the window in the back ground is the LX7 and it looks awful in 720 compared to the other cams" In this video

I would change LX7 to the lady instead the wide shot with two guys and window background

• Sure it is not having problems because of the bright outside light in the window? To me it looks like it tries to compensate for that.

• @DailyFilmFix I stopped fighting the stupid 30 minute limit on my LX7 by buying an FZ200, and I have never looked back. No 30 minute limit, excellent 1080p wrapped in AVCHD. Most of the other features and menu setup are the same as with the LX7. Currently on sale for $429, I wouldn't hesitate...

• Hi fellow LX7 owners,

I have an issue on my camera and can't find a setting anywhere in the manual that I can set to fix the problem. After recording about 1 minute, the camera shuts down all the information on the display; the information such as shutter speed, aperture, battery level, etc... diappear from the screen.

Do other cameras have the same problem? I can produce the problem consistently. Hit the record buttom and simply let it run for about 1 minute without touching anything and all the information is gone from the screen.

Thanks.

• Thanks for the comments on my little radio show. Shooting it myself without monitoring the cameras sucks. Generally as everyone knows, shooting towards a window is problematic. I think a filter would help and I use variable NDs all the time (I wonder if a CP would be a good choice). But guys, the cameras are all in the wrong place on my show. At least, I fixed the previous focus issues!

I'm considering picking up a used kit on KEH (they're now pretty cheap) which would let me go wide (and high) on the two GH1s and use the LX7 between us. The little Kodak zi8 should be traded in on a GoPro, because the gal on the boards is much easier on the eyes than the two of us.

By the way, I'm now fully switched to FCPX. I don't even use Plural Eyes anymore (although I still have it if I need it).

• Dusty, if you hit "display" you can make it appear again. I would hazard a guess that you've hit the button before you started your recording, and that particular "display setting" just makes the info dissapear after a few seconds.

• Bought a used LX7 from Amazon for $277. It will be here tomorrow. It will replace my Canon S100 as my new butterfly cam. We take a lot of butterfly pics, the wife and I. Also bird pics. Anyway, I was going to wait for the Canon S110 replacement but the following features sold me on the LX7 as my walking-the-trails butterfly cam.

-fast lens at both ends. My S100 is a bad 5.9 at the tele end. -quick manual focus rocker switch on the back -Macro up to 1" from lens. That's huge for me. Sure, it won't replace my Oly 60mm macro/GH2 combo for tack sharp large pixel pics but it also goes in my pocket which is what I need while on the trails looking for butterflies. -1080 60p and that nice MP4 1080 30p feature -720p 120fps will come in handy for pretty butterfly wings slow motion. Can't wait to try that out. -physical Macro AF switch on side of lens...very nice I believe that will be. -my FL360 flash will work with it. I hope the the FP TTL feature works with the LX7 -the intervalometer is nice but sadly limited to just 1 pic per min for 60mins...sigh

I read all of the review out there and it seems I'll probably set the LX7 to 800 ISO limit as stuff above that didn't look that good. We'll see.

As for my Canon S100, it's got the CHDK hack and is outside right now taking motion detect pics of birds on one of our perches.

Can't wait to get the LX7. Thanks for all of the tips from pages 1-8 here.

Harold

• Well, I actually got mine a few days ago... and have been having quite a bit of fun with it. Definitely better than I expected, and it's so far met my expectations quality wise. I'm still yet to see it perform in a pro environment, but so far very very impressed.

The call for 24p is I think we need to address most. Panasonic will most likely not release a firmware update, which worries me most... but if they do, I certainly hope we can unlock 24p in full HD here.

Anyway, here's some of the stuff I've shot with my LX7:

And a nice showcase of the slow-mo here.

• 2x bitrate would be nice... only if it improves IQ noticeably.

• Also... for those who want a better version of my first video without Youtube's lousy compression... you can download the file from Vimeo. I've just finished uploading this clip, so I suspect in order to watch it you'll be waiting about ~2 hours. It's my understanding you can download the original file from there though.

OR, and I hope this works (and sorry for the long URL)... you can right click this link and save it straight to your hard drive that way.

http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ap-southeast-2.vimeo.com/videos/154/158/154158397.mp4?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJCX4YKY455TWB7MQ&Expires=1364404098&Signature=Tm4eduw%2B11egZEkRT8XjtaShlRw%3D

• OK, got the camera today from Amazon Deals...used. It doesn't have a scratch on it so who knows what the real story is. Seems to be working just fine. Got the C1 and C2 set up to my liking but I have a question about the time lapse feature and maybe someone like mpgxsvcd will be able to advise me. Here's the issue: The lens retracts after it takes a pic and then, of course, pops out again to take the next pic a minute later. I'd rather it did not as it might startle the birds that I have it set up for. It's out there now doing its thing so we'll see when I check the card later if there are any birds there but if it is possible to keep that lens out during its time lapse function I'd rather do that. Perhaps there is a setting that will keep it active and out during the time lapse process. I'll do the digging myself if I have to but thought I'd ask before I started.

Also, that open/shut lens cap that you can buy on Amazon is really nice and without it I wouldn't have bought the LX7.

Also, thanks to mpgxsvcd for those setting suggestions in your Youtube video. They came in handy.

Harold

• @Daniel_R

"if you hit "display" you can make it appear again". Yes, hitting the "display" brings it back. But if I stop the recording and start the recording a new clip the information disappear again at 1 minute. I tried to toggle the "display" button a few times and started recording after every toggle. The problem still happens and it happens right at 1 minute.

I take it that you are not seeing the problem on your camera. What firmware version do you have?

Thanks for answering my question.