Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official G3 hack development topic
  • 191 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev are you still working on the G3? At least some concrete news on what is coming?

• hallo..News with GH3? when possible to test a beta?thanks..it will be possible to see written information display, after 10 seconds it is now in GH3?..I did a humble donation from romania :-) . thanks svitaliy.... expect a beta release for GH3

• @Pyro

I'll post status update in coming week.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thanks! I think all of us would really cheer for a little info teaser ;)

• @Pyro +1 Yes, Vitaliy, your work is always very much appreciated by many!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I thought you were gonna post a status update this week. Even if you don't have anything extraordinary to tell us, I think most of us are just wanting to know simply what the progress is at the moment. Thanks once again for your work. It's always been greatly appreciated and will continue to be appreciated, I'm sure.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thank you, good sir.

• Happy to hear that...

• I was in awe with the concept of G3 but now I wonder, is the best hack for G3 actually to empty your pocket for a G6? Almost as small & cheap but manual mode and mic input.. maybe a small hack for higher bitrate and no timelimit would be great for G6, easier than make wonders with the G3 I guess?

• G6 is far to be almost cheap as G3 is actually... and G6 haven't Mic input too. Why not G3? haven't Manual Mode in video, it's a nice camera to try and then port this knowledge in another future "castrated" camera. Is not only G3, GX1 is another one. I bought the G3 without a plan to be hacked, I did it thinking in size (wich is notably less) and viewfinder just for few bucks against more expensive GH2. Some people don´t need a very good video quality like GH2 it does... but i think Manual Mode in video must be a basic feature on every m4/3 camera. Is a little egoist think some cameras deserves more a hack than another. You must think in some places in the world 250 dollars of difference with taxes attached and some more devaluated money are much difference indeed. In my country now G3 cost 550 dollars, and now G6 is two times more expensive than G3...and of corse, the salaries are very low. Must be imported, so you must wait a month to get the camera.

• Hello, I am new here so hello everyone. I just got a G3, with a fd adapter and a couple of prime canon lenses. Using the G3 in 'without lens' mode gives me manual control. Hopefully this could be helpful for everyone here waiting for the manual mode hack? Hope I'm posting this in the correct topic heading?

• That's known from the beginning. That's not manual video controls, only manual focus and aperture setting (if lens have aperture ring). What we are waiting for is also ability to set static shutter time.. which is in my opinion more importatnt than changing the aperture. Manual focus is possible with any lens (m43 or not) and aperture can be locked too with portrait scene mode. But it's not possible to lock all 3 parameters at the same time which is full manual controls. Manual controls, as we know it from e.g. GH2, is ability to have full control over theese 3 parameters not only before start of recording but also during it.. This feature lacks in G3 or GX1.

• @JOFO Not only Shutter speed, ISO it would be nice to change in video. If we could use this settings in real time would be even better. I was using some legacy Nikkors Ai/Ais, at daylight 120Hz is not enough, is always overexposed . When I close aperture sometimes give me noise or diffraction. I´m not a engineer, but probably an original Pany/Oly lens must giving information to the camera to shoot well exposed, just changing ISO/Shutter/F-stops automatically according the situation. I shoot bands of rock, to do that I'm using a D700. I'm not videographer but sometimes I like do some informal videos for me. The video quality of this camera is great but can be better with use of legacy lenses (probably adding booster) and some hacks as ISO/Shutter Speed.

• yea, I forgot about ISO.. that is most important for shooting video.. it's uncomfortable for me to shoot with autoISO.. I prefer fixed ISO and manual controling of shutter speed and aperture during shooting when needed.. Hacked G3 video is pretty good but in comparsion with GH2 it's obvious worse resolution. I love GH2 24p footage from first second I shooted with GH2 :) So I use GH2 for video and G3 for stills... It's very usable duo :)

• i very recently got a NOS G3, body-only, no batt, after using a pre-owned G1 for a while

so i edited the G1 fw for the battery thing, but since i only have the one official batt for it im not seeing the effect

the hacking/editing + loading seemed to go off ok tho, so i also did the G3 firmware [which ive had less than a week]

well, some of it

is there a guide to what bits do what, which pairs are better?

should i just enable EVERYTHING .. i dont think so, or should i

yes, there are informative popups, but i only booted Win7 specifically to run PTool, i didnt search on each option as i went along ..

maybe i should have got a GH1, but i didnt, i wanted bigger sensor than in the G1

GH2 or even 3 might be better, i see theres a GH2 book ..