Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official G3 hack development topic
  • 191 Replies sorted by
  • Guys try out 'Galaxian' on the G3 for me. Its over on the ptools 3.66d thread - Please let me know if it works, however, Im not so sure mp4 playback will work in-camera (however, its fine on WMP, Movist, Quicktime, NLE's etc...)

GalaXian is the first hack settings featuring parts of my Cluster v6 GH2 settings. Give it a whirl and report back here.

Driftwood 'Gala~X~ian' . setj.zip
  • I'm trying to port to G3. As the G3 hasn't MP4 playback, MP4 settings doesn't matter... Will let you know, how it's working...

• how to change iso when record video?

• I think that manual iso isn't possible atm.. This patch removes only maximum iso limit so the camera can switch it all the way through 6400. Correct me if I'm wrong..

• @driftwood: so first attempts failed... when I hit the record button, camera switches to video mode and freezes... It's focusing but timer didn't show up and camera doesn't responding to any button. Hard reset is needed (take out the battery). I will be elaborating with settings a bit...

• @JOFO Which modes? AVCHD or MP4 lock up? Try to be more explantory.

• First thing to try: Try to uncheck ALL the Encoder Settings for MP4 mode first - save .bin, install edited firmware and TEST, then if it still locks up, uncheck all AVCHD Encoder patch settings too, then TEST AGAIN. Are you trying PAL or NTSC?

Try each. Let me know.

• G3 doesn't have MP4 mode... only AVCHD I figured it out.. Encoder Setting 1 1080i/p was the cause.. Lowering from 9 to 5 resolved the issue... I have also lowered bitrate to 36M as before, it was giving me write errors when set above 40M.. Will elaborate with this with your settings... Here are some samples...

cap05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 329K
    cap04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 333K
    cap03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 233K
    cap01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 299K
    cap02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 614K
  • @JOFO Looking good Jofo, well done. There you go, youve got a setting working. Now share it wiith the community. Congrats. :-) And whoops forgot this was the G3 thread! No MP4 :-)

• Theese samples was taken before the sunset so light conditions wasn't perfect, but instead of that, result is very good... Decent Leica glass do the job for less light out there :) Here are my settings tweaked a bit to got it to work... Thanks driftwood for your work too... great comunityhere...

sete.ini
  • Previous settings may contain an issue causing freezing.. Here is new one that shall work stable... And attaching a quick comparsion between stock (above) and hacked (below) fw...

sete.ini
    G3_Stock_vs_Hacked.jpg
    1920 x 2160 - 742K
  • I don't get it ! How to prevent the "recording stopped due to the limitaton writing speed of the card" issue, if i go higher than 40M ? I already have the fastest "SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32GB - 95 MBs" card. The patched GH2 serves 244M without a hike ! So what's the deal ?

• maybe G3 has a slower card drive due to cost cutting.. or maybe just need to set proper parameters (buffers or so...) I'm actualy playing a bit with this to figure out, whats the deal...

• Yeah JOFO, would be nice to go higher, cause the G3 is fully capable to do this magic !

• I hope so, that it's not the card drive inside G3... Would love to go twice higher o more too :)

• @JOFO you set AQ=4 OR IQ and Quantiser to 18 - not both. Q overrides the other.

• @driftwood thanx... didn't know that... AQ=4 IQ=18 so I try to uncheck AQ

• Looks promising... Set bitrate to 66M without AQ and IQ set to 18. Resulting AVCHD is about 25-30M average, peaking about 60-66M so I think that it's working. Short clips was recorded without problem...

• Tested latest JOFO's settings file with AQ off, and 66m bitrate. Short clips work ok, but on longer ones, I'm getting write error.. Maybe a tweak to the buffer values is needed to obtain stability???!!!

48M seems to be stable, with AQ off.

• what card type you use? UHS or slower?

• Slower... SDHC Class 10, probably that's the problem...

• Maybe.. after how long does it gives you write error? I will try to do longer recording to see if it freezes...

• I think it depends on the complexity of the scene... On the worst cases I got errors in less than a minute.

48Mbits is rock solid so far...

• Hi. I'd like to start recording video with the wireless remote Pixel RW-221. Since the G3 has no mode dial function to set it to video mode: Will the firmware hack allow you to select video via C1 or C2? Just a question, no request. Thanks a lot.

• Just a question, no request. Thanks a lot.

I'll add it to my list.