Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official G3 hack development topic
  • 191 Replies sorted by
  • That would be awesome and ultra-helpful, since none of the wireless remotes available have an option for triggering the movie mode. Thanks a lot, Vitaliy! As soon as I get paid (for my under-paid freelancer job), I'm gonna donate 20$ or so!

• Hey guys, if i have time i will share my rockstable HBR 72M patch for the G3, it's fun !

• We will wait. Thank you for earlier. :-)))

• So here is my G3 setting based on Driftwood's 'GalaXian' 12/15 GOP patch. Tested with Panasonic 'Gold' class10 SDHC 16GB, SanDisk 'Extreme Pro'- 95MB/s class10 UHS-1 SDHC 32GB.

Setting is 72M/50M, average Bitrate 35-42. After days of testing (dif. conditions, dif. lenses) it's currently the highest stable bitrate setting. I've changed the Video Buffer settings, Auto Quantizer settings and some other things i don't remember... The results are very impressive !

Use only with fast class10 cards, best UHS-1. Enjoy...

setd.ini
  • With a not so fast Transcend class 10 card I got write errors...

Then I tried 64M/48M and everything seems fine. The average bitrate is almost the same.

• The Galaxian with "Bothas" patch and lowering bitrates to 64m/48m setting ok..sometimes the playback freez..or rather the camera says.."the movie couldn´t be found"..after turning tha camera off and on again..everything works..my card 'Extreme Pro'- 95MB/s class10

• In 720 p "sh mode" i can record but not playback the movie in my camera.."write problems check your card" I can playback in my computer,I have the The Galaxian with "mundanos" settings my card 'Extreme Pro'- 95MB/s class10..in 1080 "fsh" all ok!

• Hi Vitaliy! Regarding your great work and, in particular, that video mode via mode dial (C1/C2): I've just donated (see transaction #47U412215X217604B). Thanks again!

• Dear all I am just about to buy the G3 - but does it have manual video when hacked (or should I get my GH2 no. 4). And if it it does have manual video; where is it in ptools???

Thanks Michael

• G3 doesn't have manual video mode a.t.m. Vitaliy have plans for adding manual video mode in the future versions of PTools, but right now G3 hasn't manual video. For video it's better to get GH2..

• At the moment G3 only has some sort of shutter priority mode for video that you can force using the "Anti-Flickering" menu... Not full PASM modes.. It is planed for a future version of the hack, but until implemented you never know how much time it will take or if it will work without issues..

I wouldn't buy a camera based on expected features.. For a video-centric usage the G3 is not the camera to buy...

• I´m totally new to site, found the info in another forum. I´m not really using the video functionality, but I would like to see the chance to edit the bracketing options: Can I use the tool to change the Bracketing options to 3, 5 o r 7 pics with 2EV difference between each picture? Right now, there is only the possibility for 1/3 , 2/3 or 1EV between each picture which is not enough for good HDR series...

• @ReBe

Answer is negative, unfortunately. I know about bracketing things, and this is present in plans, but we need to dig deeper and understand this part better.

• Thanks for your answers - I wish that Panasonic would realise the value of what can be done by bright people. And perhaps lend a hand. Michael

• Oh by the way; any chance of an extended slow motion? It is very fashionable and very expensive... I am sure that I could make more money=donation if I could dazzle customers with (contextually unnecessary) slomo shots. M

• I've used @driftwood GalaXian latest settings and didn't tweak anything. Recording in both SH and FSH mode is working without issues. However ICP of SH files causes "Read error" (FSH ICP is fine). After importing to PC I can play all the clips without any problems.

I'm using PAL G3 camera with SanDisk Extreme 30 MB/s 16GB.

EDIT: Checked everything in NTSC mode. All above applies as well.

driftwood GalaXian G3 Test 01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 585K
    driftwood GalaXian G3 Test 02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 208K
    driftwood GalaXian G3 Test 03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 408K
    driftwood GalaXian G3 Test 04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 475K
    driftwood GalaXian G3 Test 05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 210K
    Clip Info.jpg
    353 x 315 - 62K
  • The GalaXian patch has the same SH file playback issue in GX1.

Cheers:-)

• @mundano / @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I don't think you can turn off the shutter for real stills. SH mode doesn't use the shutter because in this mode the sensor does not capture stills, it just sends the video ... and the camera extracts frames

Sounds pretty bad. Does this mean that there is no way out? Even by hacking G5 firmware .... Or G5 is using electrically different sensor ?

PS: In worst case scenario I could agree to have even lower (SH) resolution, but 10x frames per second is way too many. Post-processing would kill me if I start shooting everything in this mode ...

Thanks.

• I would really like to contribute by doing some testing of my own. But firstly I need to know the significance of each parameter. Can someone point out if there is a wiki with detailed explanation of things like quantizer, GOP, deblocking, etc. And if possible, where can I check for technical spec of sensor and image processor in the G3. Thank you very much. :)

• Hi everybody!

Please, tell me is there any way to get back to the official firmware update?

Thanks!

• Just load official firmware into PTool and leave all unchecked instead of Increment option.. Save firmware and update... Your G3 will be like before hack...

• Thank you! I've just done it. Just to be sure, that I can back up) Now I'm ready for the experiments with hacking my G3.

• First of all, than you Vitaly!! A great job, indeed. I have a question, a very basic one; Does this firmware add new menu items or modify existing ones? THX

• How about flow motion patch, is it impossible for now or just do some based version of FM 2. ?

• @greatart

It is development topic, so, please use proper one.