Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • @ge0rge thanks for the detailed tests, it would be good to see the 45 degrees test with the 12-35 lens @35mm if possible (the one with jitter).

A bit of updates on my side: I went to the shop today to complain, it's been more than 1 month since I gave them my lens and last week I sent them evidence (videos) of the issue, but still no answer, so today I went there and asked them to give me a new copy of the lens. Eventually after a lot of complains they gave me a new one (serial starts with XT3), they still claim this could be normal behavior. I haven't done any test yet with this new lens, will do and let everyone know. Also the guy from Panasonic US replied to me saying that most likely this is a firmware issue, so let's see..

• Hi.

Just registered here to share my experience. Got my lense in GH3A kit 14.03.2013 in Helsinki. Serial number starts with XT3AD..... Did video test on tripod 45, 15, 0 degrees down, 35mm and 12mm focal length in next modes: AVCHD(1080, 50i) and AVCHD(1080, 50p) with OIS On and Off. Same time I bought X G PZ 45-175 lense and did same tests for 45mm (45 degrees) and 175mm (45, 15, 0 degrees) OIS On and Off. All was shot with ISO800, Continuos AF ON, Video Exposure mode P. Then copied the video on PC and played back with Zoom player ffdshow video encoder. Deinterlacing switched on for interlaced clips only. There is easy to zoom in by pressing right-side +/- buttons (like in Photoshop). So I checked 100% and up to 400%.

Here are my subjective results:

• At angles 15 and 0 both lenses are rock stable with or without IOS. I cannot see any movement at 400%.
    • The 12-35 lense at angle 45 has no jitter at 12mm but at 35mm it does have a circular jitter around one pixel when 300% zoom. In 100% nobody would notice it. OIS On or Off does not matter. At 50i it seems less noticable than 50p. Even 2 of my clips had no jitter in 50i but I guess this just proves the jitter is not always there and not related to the mode.
    • The 45-175 lense at angle 45 has no jitter with OIS off. When OIS is On it does have about 1 pixel jitter at 45 and 175 but it is not circullar. It is side to side and has faster frequency at 175.

Also I did a long exposure still shots with 12-35 at 35mm, 45 degrees, 6 sec. I do think the results are as sharp as with same scene and fast shutter speed. Still it appears that with electronic shutter the image is sharper. I did not make many tests with stills because the result satisfied me and I did them before video tests because it was worried me more. I was expecting to find there a blurred result and was happy it was not there. I'm a bit confused why long exposure shots are sharp. Maybe it proves that in video mode there is going something that could be fixed with firmware. But again, I did just 4 shots with shutter speeds 1/25, 4, 4 (mechanical) and 1/50 (electronical). Not a huge statistics.

I was really worried while ordering the camera. At the moment my feeling is that the issue is there but it is not real life issue for my lense copy. But I believe that certain copies may have the jitter more evident. It is a shame if Panasonic would insist that the lense works properly for those users.

I do not publish my clips but if anybody needs them, then tell please which mode, angle etc.. you would like to see.

• @Nakame78 !! WTF Panasonic !!!! ..."can you bring us any video you have?".... probably they are taking time because they do not know what to say .

@Zaz ! i got 3 copy repleaced ( XT2F / XT2G/ XT2H) all with that issue , Tox got XT3 so could be , But there are a lot of people of this forum with XT2 series solid as rock !!

Anyway I'm still very angry

• wow, panasonic b trippin. I will be getting my lens sometime next week and will post my results then. hope you are able to get a working replacement.

has anyone tried this with stills? seems that any longer exposure photo should come out pretty shit with this issue...

• I just got ridiculous news from Panasonic Japan (I am in Tokyo and my lens is with them). After 24 days i gave my lens they said that this is normal functioning of the lens. It's a joke. I am trying to send them the links to the YouTube videos I took (posted here as well on p.11 of this thread), they told me "can you bring us any video you have?" What about using YouTube links and email?

I am shocked

I have to say that this comes from the big shop where I took my lens, they are dealing directly with Panasonic, not me.

Will keep you posted...

• @Zaz good call.

I have this lens now for less than a week, never checked the jitter issue. Just took photos. It's dam fast on AF and with OIS, it's just sick. I was originally planning on an Oly 17mm f1.8, but might explore that option a bit later. For now, this lens does what I need.

• whatever - i need this lens. just called b&h and they said they could put a note on my order asking for serial#XT3 or later... we'll see what happens...

• anyone know if tox's lens is a later serial#?? i know that a lot of XT2.. #'s have shown this problem..

• Can someone sync these video tests to the Harlem Shake song?

• i just bought this lens, and i did the jitter test. ON GH3, 12-35mm @35mm , IS off, on tripod , tilted down 45 degress.

No problem at all!

• David Thorpe review: "You get what you pay for"

• I haven't heard anything from Panasonic yet. Panasonic Japan got samples of the 12-35mm displaying the jitter about a week ago. Apparently they did not know that this problem existed. Hang tight, and hopefully they will find a solution...

• @Kellar42 You can post something

• On a different tack, I've been using one of these on a GH3 with the LA7200 attached and I get high performance and no vinegetting at any focal length. Pretty cool stuff.

• Anyone heard anything back from Panasonic at this point?

• Hi mates for completeness of information about jitter panasonic lenses issue , I wanted to tell you that I had this same problem since September 2012 also on my panasonic 14/45mm OIS zoom check discussion here : http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4771/flickering-issue-on-gh2#Item_11 but at the time I thought it was a problem with my GH2 body, I was one of the first GH2 users who has noticed this strange problem , but no one has ever been able to answer! So thank again johnmw for that ! one more help, since I have not received any answer from panasonic centers , please keep me informed if the problem is solved by . Thx

• From Amin:

"I've forwarded a bunch of emails from users all over the world to my Panasonic US contact who has either replied directly to the user or forwarded their email to the corresponding Panasonic contact in their specific country. At this point, he tells me that they don't need me to forward any more emails. They have enough information to go on, including having the lens from affected user(s) in hand to analyze. So please no more emails to me about this issue. I will update this thread and at Mu-43 if/when I have more info, which hopefully will be soon. John, if you wouldn't mind, please copy this message to the other sites so people know that I don't need to get more emails about this. Thanks in advance."

• I've been contacted by Panasonic US and I sent a few additional sample videos to illustrate the problem. I can't say whether or not the issue will be resolved, but I can at least report that Panasonic Japan is able to replicate the issue, and that they are investigating. Not much we can do but sit tight and wait. Thank you Amin.

• Thanks Amin, I have already been contacted by a Panasonic engineer from US thanks to you! Since I live in Tokyo and my lens is with Panasonic Japan he asked me a few questions and mentioned that he will get in touch with his peers here in Japan.

Great work, thanks again. Will post any news I have of course. By the way I haven't been contacted by Panasonic Japan yet.

• Well, I'm glad to see this issue is getting some traction at Panasonic. I have been delaying the purchase of several of these lenses to see what panasonic's reaction will be.

• @johnmw Is this for any region of the world?

• @v10tdi If you have the serial number of the lens, please email the information to Amin. There is a direct contact at Panasonic who is personally looking into this issue. Thanks.

• I've already sent in my lens to the service center in Texas. I'll update the thread when I hear something.

• Hello -- this is from Amin, I'm posting this on his behalf.

Anyone who is experiencing this issue, please:

-Email me: amin at mu-43 dot com

-Use subject line: Panasonic 12-35 video issue

-Indicate your name and whether you're willing to be contacted by Panasonic directly by phone and/or email about this issue.

If you're willing to be contacted, I will forward those emails to my contact at Panasonic.

-Amin