Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • @umla welcome to the site. I have only been a member for a few months but am hypnotized by the amount of knowledge the people here have. Here are some key pieces of advice: 1. Spend the time to read through this thread. There are 12 pages. Read all 12. 2. Besides GalaXian there are many other hacks. Look for names like Apocalypse, Canis, Cluster, Mysterion, QuantumPlus, and the list goes on. 3. You will see how to load these and also TWEAK these to your liking on instructions on page 11. 4. Manual control is something we are all waiting for but easier to dream about than do. I am beginning to understand from the Magic Lantern breakthroughs with the Canon that a major hack is a HUGE deal and really difficult. @Vitaliy has been working on a hack for more than a year and while it still might be a long long way off the hacks provided by the team are pretty sweet. 5. If you like what is happening here, donate. If you don't have money to donate then donate time, time to understand the site and time to guide other new people like you.

Good luck,

Jakartaguy in Jakarta, Indonesia.

• Hy people - so I am one of this folks who got the cash together for a GX1 after the most recent price drop. (~700EUR with kit lens and 20mm/1.7) - together with a nice leather bag from china and I had the good IQ, resistibility and compact size i ever wanted.

Soo after being a little off topic - i was searching the whole forum for recommended GX1 settings - the only one i found mentioned in relation to GX1 was GalaXian. I will use my coming weekend to run a trial on this. If someone of you can recommend some other/better settings to start with on GX1 please share with me!

I think to run your own settings there should be a little more understanding of the technical detail?!

Otherwise i am very interested in new developments - especially the manual control, if its possible at all?

Big thanks to Vitaliy - i was surprised that there s a big community on a topic like this...

• I'm still excited about it! I think the gx1 shoots amazing quality video with ptool firmware. I would put it up against a red or any other camera during daylight shooting, the only thing holding it back is lack of manual control for low light. If that can be added I think it will be the best thing out there for low budget film making, even better than the black magic pocket cinema camera.

Thanks Vitaliy for continuing to work on the release!

• Wow it is amazingly quiet. Has the GX1 hack locomotive lost its steam? There must be a new generation of GX1 owners with the price drop??

We'll have fixing release, I hope. AFter this I hope that we'll make some old cameras projects more open so someone could add new things.

• Wow it is amazingly quiet. Has the GX1 hack locomotive lost its steam? There must be a new generation of GX1 owners with the price drop??

• With the GX7 announced will this help @Vitaliy_Kiselev you crack the GX1? According to a review I just read the GX7 gives "as good" video as the GH3 but that makes me think, "shouldn't it be better after all these years?". I guess you will need to find out if the GX1 and the GX7 use similar parts before you can apply it to your hack. Looking forward to a GX1 update when you get it, thanks.

• @Badilla Open ptools with the latest firmware, don't 'check' anything, save as one increment up. Flash firmware. Viola, your GX1 is as good as Pany's own.

• Hu. Wierd. I tried to reinstall the formware from Ptool (the same I had from the beginning in the camera) and then at some poit the camera was able to update the firmware. Then the audio meters were gone.... Now Im trying then to re install the original firmware from Panasonic, and it will just won't take it. is there any way to just do a full reset of the camera to start all over again? Many thanks Cris

• Does anyone knows if this is related to the PTool software? I tried to re install the original Panasonic Firmware, but the camera won't do it, is says "no valid picture to play.... CB

No, it is not related to PTool :-)

• I just downloaded the Ptool and created a setup based in one of the ones found here. I am very happy to see that now I can record about an hour, and to see the audio levels in the screen, BUT, I discovered that the video files are sttarting from the number 0 everytime I format the card (the still pictures are in continuous number, thought). Does anyone knows if this is related to the PTool software? I tried to re install the original Panasonic Firmware, but the camera won't do it, is says "no valid picture to play.... CB

• Thanks a bunch, Vitaliy!

• Has it been confirmed that all cheap US GX1 NTSCs have the same issue?

I try to make update soon fixing issue.

• Has it been confirmed that all cheap US GX1 NTSCs have the same issue?

I purchased one a couple of days ago after learning one GX7 = 5 x GX1.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev Thankyou for your reply and for your ongoing efforts!! hope you will manage to fix these bugs.

• And another question: In manual photo mode you have to press a function key to see the influence of aperture setting, iso-level and time. (no real time adjustment of the display) Isn´t it possible to see the true image on the display without doing this? Maybe this can be added to the list as well?

• I have been reading the different messages everywhere and come to the conclusion that the now extremely cheap US GX1 NTSC version for the moment cannot be hacked to PAL?? (PAL/NTSC is greyed out) Is there any work done on this? or news on the progress of this issue? Hans

I hope to fix such bugs soon.

• @santango I have been reading the different messages everywhere and come to the conclusion that the now extremely cheap US GX1 NTSC version for the moment cannot be hacked to PAL?? (PAL/NTSC is greyed out) Is there any work done on this? or news on the progress of this issue? Hans

• GX1 low light test video:

• Hi. New here. Thanks for the Hack! Hacked my us ntsc gx1 but video out still grayed out and only records 29.97 fps video. Any ideas? Update went fine but still no pal option and no 24p. Hope someone can figure this one out. Pedro

• you're welcome.. enjoy your camera :)

• Dear All

the camera speaks now German ! Thank you all for your great help and support ! I am so happy that I do not have to learn JAPANESE ;-)

@ JOFO: it worked after I have set the version increment to "2" - Thanks !

Thank you all and best regards

Can

GX1a.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 579K
    GX1b.JPG
    800 x 600 - 63K
  • @IronFilm thank you for your answer, I hope some day we can have focus peaking feature, I use it a lot in my Canon 60D with magic lantern. Regards.-

• you need to check Version increment option and All languages when patching.. also for GX1 version increment has to be 2 (instead of 1 on other cams). Hacked firmware must be named GX1__V12.bin or similar. two underscores are required. Format SD card before putting firmware file, just to be sure there's no fs incompatibility. Insert SD card with firmware into camera, turn on and press play button to start update process.

• The screen shows this message after start up and pressing of the play botton. Any ideas what this means !?

GX1.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 556K
  • Thank you so much ! This is exactly what I needed ! I have just proceeded as described but the cam is not uploading the hacked firmware - after putting in the sd card with the hacked firmware - there is nothing happening and there is no icon to press to update the firmware. i also tried to press the play botton - without any success :-((( Any ideas ?

Maybe its not working because it is a JAPENESE version !?

Thanks a lot again for all your help and support !