Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Vitaly, are we gonna get a present this Christmas? I see you may have an update for the GX1, I still would love to have manual video mode, I hope so Vitaliy, thanks again and hope to hear some news :-) thanks for all your work

• iDynamic function will do any change to the physical dynamic range, but just pulls down the contrast a little bit, to obtain tiny little more details in the shadows and highlights. I believe the same effect can also be achieved in post-production. Personally I just leave it off.

It is not true, such function works with source raw, you won't pull anything like it from AVCHD file.

• @umla I don't think the iDynamic function will do any change to the physical dynamic range, but just pulls down the contrast a little bit, to obtain tiny little more details in the shadows and highlights. I believe the same effect can also be achieved in post-production. Personally I just leave it off.

As far as the iA is concerned, it's quite interesting. The complete manual video control is still unavailable. But the the iA function do give you a little control over the aperture, even in video mode. Normally, the largest aperture will be used in video recording, even in the harsh daylight. (To keep the exposure right, the iso and shutter speed will be automatically tuned, without the aperture being touched.) However, in iA mode, you can actually control the aperture before recording, or during recording.

• thank you for all your efforts, any idea when this bug will be solved?

I'll try to release update in December.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thank you for all your efforts, any idea when this bug will be solved? It was reported back in April and I am quite sure that I am not the only one still patiently waiting for a solution....

• Is it so, I'm sorry. Thank you all!

• @nidako3412

You can't do anything, it is patch bug.

• Thank you for reply. How do I specifically?

• but can not the item of "video out" and the hack will appear on the menu, it will change remains gray. Thank you to answer someone

Yep, it is bug in patch. Needs quick fix.

• Hi, I am allowed to use this site, we have succeeded in hacking the GX1. Thank you. So, please ask questions. I would like to change the frame rate by the switching of the PAL and NTSC, but can not the item of "video out" and the hack will appear on the menu, it will change remains gray. Thank you to answer someone. (It was converted from Japanese to English using Google Translate.. Sorry for English confusing)

• GX1 freezes by playback.... how to delete file/s (after raising mp4 bitrates), and bring back the normal operation

1. remove battery/reinstall/turn on
    2. take 2 stills
    3. playback now should work of last stills
    4. change view to multiple icons
    5. select "delete multiple files"
    6. select files you want to delete as "usual" => OK
    7. back to normal.... ofcourse a "format card" will clean up all, but so you can save time Have Fun!
  • @intrinsic3d and @MikeLinn ... really awesome videos. You both did galaxian settings and record in AVCHD?

I am kind of new to video and so not really aware of what settings in cam are useful and what is better done in post... Stills I only shoot in RAW and all things i do in post only. so i never use the "automatic" settings the camera offers.

But as they have major impact on video I am getting only confused...

• The iResolution and iDynamic settings in the MOTION PIC menu should have a impact on the result. You use it? and if yes, when?

• What does the iA button do in this - yes it detects a scene but the video mode nevertheless works automatic... so whats the use?

• As you were speaking about ISO-Limit ... does the ISO-Limit of the REC menu effect the ISO while recording video?

you see a lot of questions for a full newbie in camera automatics .. If i am too much off topic please excuse but i need some basic hints how to stop my camera from going rouge.

Otherwise I still prey that Vitaliy can give me some manual control on the GX1 video :)

• Hah! Small world! I recognize one of the fire dancers from an event I shot...with a pair of GX1 bodies! (the one without the hat)

Some of the noise can be removed in post, but yeah, it would be a lot better if you could lock in manual settings. I think after it reaches its ISO limit it will start to push stuff a little post sensor/digitally, which bumps up the noise. But that's just speculation. I will say I think you could have cranked down the exposure a little bit. You can do that before you start the video by selecting +/- exposure compensation in P,S, or A mode.

On my D7100 I found that custom curves help me manage the noise to a degree. But it's also a touch lower noise to start with!

• Here's a sample video of the gx1 with driftwood galaxian hack. It's a night scene of fire twirling shot at f1.8 and it turned out pretty good with the increased bitrate but I think it suffers from lack of manual control. It has some pretty ugly noise in it. What do you guys think?

• That could help, but I'm not 100% sure as I don't own GX1 (only G3 and GH2). Just saw that before somewhere on the forum..

• Thanks @JOFO. Could I reduce the bit rate - would that make a difference? And to the quality? Just want smallish size files to maybe embed in a multimedia book.

• As i remember, MP4 don't span so it's limited to 4GB per recording and with 17M bitrate it's about 30 mins..

• Thanks for this hack, the likes of which I had no idea you could even do! But I was frustrated that I couldn't record longer than 29min 59sec of video, and a bit of searching online led me here.

I have installed this single patch, and when I'm in AVCHD mode I can now get just over 2 hours on a 16GB SD card. However, when I'm in MP4 mode (which I would prefer), the limit is still 29min59sec.

I know someone brought this up on an earlier page, but it seems the issue was left hanging… Can someone confirm that this is definitely how the patch is supposed to work (i.e. limited to AVCHD setting only)?

Thanks

• Ok. I learned myself about hack and process of changes settings on GX1.

AVCHD working good. I have 1080 - 42Mbps and 448 kbs sound. 720 - 20Mbps 448 kbs. Changed Mic level and Volume Indicator. Here everything looks good. GX1 can record now until battery is empty. After 4GB camera create next video fail and recording continues.

Things that is not so good.

1.Found next. MP4 can record only with Audio - 128kbs. In all highest rates REC not starting. Do you have the same?

2.All video files with higher bitrates not play in GX1. But this is not so big problem. Problem is another. I can not delete them in camera. If I delete them in PC camera still see them and GX1 telling me that can not play and can not delete. Maybe this is not files already but during watching photos on LCD comming emty screens.

What rates you recoment for AVCHD - 1080p and mp4 1080p. I want record same video with GH3 and GX1. What bitrate on GX1 will be better for mix them on Editing post. For close quality and etc. On GH3 I will use AVCHD.

• @Jakartaguy First thanks for your helpful answer. Also your guide (p11) HOW TO USE PTOOL FOR DUMMIES LIKE ME - made it very comfortable and idiot proof.

Actually I read all the pages before posting first - but I could not find direct feedback on other settings than GalaX1an. I am just to much noob to judge which of the other settings are better/worse based on detailed technical information. I dont even know in which case AVCHD or MP4 is improved. So only way i have is to rely on other people opinion - or spend days in trials and flashing my cam...

imho a "GX1 settings" thread would be very useful. There are very good threads for GH2 - but this cam is too bulky for me ;)

I tryed the GalaX1an V2 settings yesterday and had a great success. I like what is happening here - so i donated. The also difference in IQ is definitely worth it :)

Just awesome to have this kind of IQ in such small package (GX1+Pana20mm).

umla in Bangalore, India

• Hi! Is this posible already use new hack for GX1? Or this is still not so working. If it working well in PAL, where I can take it and how do everything. Ptool3 - I have already. Thanks.

Also will be good to know what hack have new for GX1. Recording time, quality of Video and etc. Is this real use GX1 with GH3 in one recording project?

• @Micah the hacks I mentioned like Apocalypse, Canis, Cluster, Mysterion, QuantumPlus were (I believe) put together by @Driftwood and they all work for the GX1, just use the same instructions I posted on page 10.

• @Jakartaguy Are there other settings besides GalaX1an? I searched these forums quite extensively, and have seen the other settings you mentioned, but never for the GX1.

I tried the GalaX1an settings with ocean waves and could immediately see the difference. Too bad there's no way to get the MPG mode to span or the AVCHD mode to run true 30p. But otherwise, the GX1 video quality is pretty darn good.

• I haven't used any others but the driftwood galaxian settings offer amazing quality