Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Guys, is the camera unlocked in video mode now? Can we adjust the shutter and F stop during recording?

• Hi! My GX1 after updating firmware do not play mp4 video files on camera screen. In the begining it was with higher audio bitrate only. Now if I will use standart audio and video setting for mp4 still not play.

In PC I can play these files. But for me better if mp4 will be like in original firmware and will play in camera also. Do you have any ideas?

AVCHD files playing well on standard and higher bitrates. For more important records I can use this codec.

• its not bricked you just cant view playbacks and when you do you have to take the battery out when it freezes. I know it sucks maybe the new firmware will fix this I don't know

• Actually, now I think I bricked my camera... When I go into playback mode, the camera freezes even when I turn it off... Help??? And thank you Vitaliy for the quick reply!!

• Hi, I just hacked my gx-1 and now my computer cant display my mp4's. I did tweak the AVCHD settings a bit. Can any one help? Is there a way to unhack it?

• Thanks Vitaliy

• @yskunto

I am sorry guys, I owe you updated version. Working on it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev We know they come when they come, and we're all grateful for your hard work!

Out of curiousity though, will some form of manual mode for the GX1 be in this upcoming release? Or only a future one?

• I am very excited expecting new PTOOL to be released. Success Vitaliy.

• Btw, Ptool fixes will be release soon, sorry for delays and mad life lately.

• anyone know a good hack to load on the gx1?? I'm currently using galaxian but it freezes the camera when I try looking at in camera files kind of annoying.

• Thank you Vitaliy!

• Yep, hope soon.

• Dear Vitaliy Do you anticipate releasing update for GX1 patch anytime soon? I've been counting on your great hack and made jump to 4/3 system but now considering selling it because I cannot use 25fps as I was hoping for. Not to pressure you, and I admit that it's not wise to count on something that doesn't exist yet but I only found out ntsc-pal was not supported after trying the hack. Before giving up on GX1 I thought I'd ask if GX1 is still in your to-do list.

Thanks.

• Hello Vitaliy, thanks for all your work and efforts any news with the PAL/NTSC fix for the GX1 cameras hope you can get that sorted out thank you for your time

• Is this a GX1? Have you installed the hacked software? If so, what settings are you using? GalaX1an definitely works stably. What cards are you using?

There is no hack that enables clips longer than 30 minutes. The camera has that capability natively, but only in AVCHD mode. I believe that's the case for the most of the Panasonic models. See my above comment for more details.

Generally speaking, the hacks are to lower the compression setting, which results in larger files with less compression artifacts. This is most visible in scenes with lots of detail and motion, such as ripples of water on the ocean or a lake. In some cases it helps a bit with high ISO scenes too.

• I'm having a problem with a frozen camera. it takes stills fine. but when I try and take a video, it freezes. I have to take out the battery to unfreeze it. and now it won't even let me go back to factory settings. not sure what's wrong. any thoughts? my two primary desires are to remove the 30 minute video recording limit, and up the bitrate. which is the hack I tried. but it doesn't seem to have worked.
    thanks. Tod

• I'm using two GX1s. It's ok for what you're talking about, but there are some things to be aware of. Same as the GH models (I think?), but I'll put them out there anyway.

First, gotta be in AVCHD mode for running longer than 35mins on non-hacked firmware (each file is shorter than 35mins on hacked firmware). With the GX1, AVCHD mode is interlaced only. It's 30p in a 60i container. MPEG mode will do 30p non-interlaced only. There are no 30 or 24fps modes on the GX1, and there are unlikely to ever be, even with hacking.

Second, there's currently no way to lock exposure in any mode. (VK is workin on this, and it sounds like we may see something in the near future. How near is not certain.) ISO and shutter vary at random with adapted lenses, and ISO, aperture, and shutter all vary with native lenses.

Stock batteries last 2-3 hours in my experience. You can plug it into the wall and run forever (I let one run in a hot club in the summer for 6 hours with no ill effects). However, you'll lose the entire last 4gb file if you unplug while rolling. There is no way to power the GX1 and have a battery in, since the only way to plug external power is through a dummy battery.

Other than these things, it works great! They're cheap enough to buy a bag full and have every angle covered. And the image quality is quite good. I find that in MPEG mode, with a little sharpening, the detail is superb. Add a hacked firmware to lower the compression, and things are amazing. Plenty of examples on here if you search a little.

• Has anyone here sucessfully used the GX1 as a B cam/C-cam with a GH2/GH3? I'm looking to purchase a GX1 as a cam to sit on a tripod at the back of the church/ceremony during weddings.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Happy Newyear! One more person to thank you for all your efforts, hope you soon will find some time to fix the PAL/NTSC issue... after that the cheap (US bought) GX1s will really be great and compact videocameras for European users as well..... Thanks in advance for this!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks so much for all your efforts, I have being considering another purchase like the GX7 and GM1 but honestly the GX1 is more than enough for my daily needs except for the video, the gx1 has all the right buttons to easily access all it's features. I'm definitely goin to contribute to your paypal, because all your hard work has made our cameras more useful and I'm grateful for it, thanks again Vitaliy and hope to hear back from this thread soon.

• I hope. December was quite mad. I need to fix PAL/NTSC first. Must be in January.

I think after this I'll try to prepare and release firmware info so others can work on it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev hope you are doing well, I was wondering if we are gonna get lucky with manual video for the GX1, thanks Vitaliy and hope to hear from you.

• @djhessler I second that! Would love to see an update Vitaly