Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • A Sedna example in shooting our new short movie...

• thanks for 50p. there is not much about pal options 25p comparison- maybe one day. Span50 looks promissing in this

• Okay, I will definitely test 50P as well.

If I shoot the footage and put it up on the server, would anyone else be willing to volunteer to extract I-frames and post them? I normally only compare stills from intra-footage so I am not used to having to deal with that.

• @thepalalias. 720p60, FSH, and HBR 30p

• @thepalalias I vote for both 50p and 60p. They are both needed. Even for us Europeans (and Chinese, Australians and Africans etc.) using 50 Hz, 60p is attractive for a tad more slo-mo. OTOH, it's unnerving to always re-format if you need the 50 Hz frame rates too.

Since 60p seems much harder to optimize, it's fine with me to test that first. AFAIK, 50p can be stable with GOPs of 3, while until now 60p only works reliably with 6. So, the feeling of motion might be different.

• @thepalalias I vote for 50p.

• @LumixUser Ditto. It was just unexpected, like when someone says "Panasonic DMC-GH2 Camera" instead of "Panasonic GH2 Camera". It is part of the name but you get used to the shorthand.

Long story short: it was just the way it was abbreviated that confused me. I would have understood if it were "ver." or v followed by a number or the full word. So now that you cleared it up, it should be easy to follow.

• Also, I figured I would hold off on Cluster until I can compare v1 and v2 against each other.

• @Ebacherville Constructing a reliable spanning test will be tricky so it will not be the first test. I will see what I can do later on.

@LumixUser Obviously you are not doing it wrong, it is just that since version is not required in the name to identify it, I tend to omit it (and others may do the same) so it did not occurr to me. Thanks for clearing it up. I have been gravitating toward short names (like omitting Quantum X from the start of them) a lot recently.

• Another vote for spanning.. I'd love to have something like Mysteron that spanned.. even if it required different cards etc.. Especially if we can make it work on the GF line.. I'd love to use GFs as B cams for interviews etc. SPanMyBU wouldn't even span on my GF2.. However I didn't have a sandisc 30mb/sec card.. had a Transcend class 10.

• So, the current plan is that the first test will be Cake, GOLGOP, Sedna AQ1 A and Sanity at 60P, with and without EX mode using a Rokkor 58mm at f/4.0 at high ISO in Standard with -2, -2, -2, -2. If the response is good, I will repeat with 50P. Sound good?

@LumixUser What is the "V" for in "Sedna AQ1 V.A".

@Onionbrain Thanks!

• Mysteron successfully works on GF2 and GF3.. Great footage from these little cameras.. seeing over 107mbps recording to class 10 transcend cards.

• For those of you who are not getting card write fails, check your data rate. On the first attachment, that's walking around. I have about 3-4 files that made between 1 and 2 minutes before fail. Files are usable. Notice the data rate, 146-164 for avg to high. Then look at the 2nd, which was a failure after it spanned 1 time and then failed right as it got to 4gb. Both of the charts are from the end of the file when they fail.

I'm really curious as to those who say they getting write errors Sandisk 30Mb/s cards or other type 10 cards, what are your data rates? Maybe your recording something that isn't near the upper limits of these settings.

@YOSS.... I use Cine sometimes also, -2, -2, -2, -2. I can try that along with other lens, but if I find out some settings work and others don't, then I'd probably go down to something easier on the camera of bite the bullet and get a couple 64GB cards.

Maybe I'd use just specific settings that work for family, but for client work, I need a little more variation and reliablility.

On buying the disks, it just rubs me the wrong way to buy a camera for $700-$900 dollars and then pay $200 for a little 1 oz piece of plastic that's made in 1 pass by a machine. Lot more work and parts to make that camera. Just saying.

sedona_fail24h_drive.jpg
    1298 x 687 - 575K
    swedona_fail24hWalk.jpg
    1292 x 692 - 602K
  • @driftwood, I thought I saw two new files?

• @jfro. -I did a test on Mysteron 24h (14mm / f8 / shutter higher than 150 / standard 0,0,0,-2) i always format the card after inserting it on the cam. Moving the cam on buches & trees. I manually stopped after 3 minutes & something.

On the iso test I only got a speed error over 3200 I think.

I use standard 0,0,0,-2 because I usually don't grade. I shot stock footage with the GH2. So no compromises with clients. Have not used it yet on productions.

Your smooth could be the issue due to it's higher "latitude" & noise.

I'll do another test Monday or tuesday walking, over trees / bushes trying to span.. I'll let you know.

• @thepalalias Great job on that!

@luxis Thanks! Kessler Crane Pocket Dolly with Electra Drive. Photo attached.

_MG_9454.jpg
    900 x 600 - 152K
  • Today I was using 14-24 at 14 at f8. I was using 14-140 on my other came at 14mm at f8 also for a comparison while driving. For Sedna B, ISO was 200, 24p, & shutter at 50 with smooth -2 -2 -2. Everything manual. Sunny dat with variable ND filter on lens.

I realize that everything is in focus as this point, so that's part of the problem.

@YOSS When driving with same settings, the majority of time I'm not getting failures, it's mainly walking through gardens and bushes with the steadicam. That's sort of my torture test. I have a failure last year on a slider shot on a job during the time when trees are blooming with the sun overhead. Don't like failures in field so try not to use settings that aren't very very reliable. Don't have much problem with talking head shots, but..... outside is a different story.

• @luxis I was wondering the same thing. It looks like a slider but no jerk.

• @onionbrain great footage,grading and most important-story : ) i was distracted by it away from my pixel peeping...and maybe there is a lesson to be learned from this ; ) btw, what do you use for this smoooooooth movements?

• Hi @jfro I'm using mysteron on a Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s 32GB from B&H - Have tested (trees & bushes) and real shots with movement (driving shots) only used it on with the 14-42 (it's my wider lens). Got shots over 3 minutes.. never a writing error. Have used 24h, 30HBR & 60p.

I got errors on 80%. I like it more than sedna because with sedna I basically couldn't use 60p. Only 50p worked fine.

• @Onionbrain For what it's worth, this one was 5 mbps (plus another 1.4 mbps for audio).

I think Vimeo may have given a warning while uploading, but I haven't had anyone mention playback issues as of yet. The original upload was 12 mbps 1080P but Joanna's account did not support the extra resolution so I re-converted and re-uploaded before posting here last night.

• @peternap Thanks, my friend. As far as I'm concerned -- Sedna is more than good enough for prime time. I've already used it for production purposes. I've only played with Mysteron on the side -- and -- it's also been outstanding. Barring unknown technical glitches with Mysteron -- I'd be confident to take either on a shoot.

@Mark_the_Harp Thank you. Yes, exactly. The house was built in 1909, and when you get close to it you can see it was someone's dream home built with love. It's been abandoned for decades -- a calendar on a wall I saw through a window read "January 1978."

@exilenorth Thank you.

If you're having problems with Premiere -- there's a darn good chance the issue is with your hardware. Premiere has become damn good these past few years -- and I've never had an issue with these hacked GH2 files and Premiere.

Regarding export (doing this from memory), I export directly from Premiere ("export-media"). Choose H.264, and then select the "HDTV 1080 24p" preset (again, I'm doing this from memory, so allow for some inaccuracies). There are tabs in the center of the window. On the one with video options, select the frame rate of 23.976 (the default is 24, and there's a difference), set aspect ratio to square pixels (default is something else), set the profile to "high." Beneath that select variable 2 pass encoding (the default is 1 pass, and 1 pass is faster but can get ugly). I think, think, the default target is 24 Mbps. For Vimeo if you go above 10 you get stuttering issues. I think, think, Vimeo requests 3 Mbps. At the very bottom there are three boxes that can be checked. Absolutely check "best quality," and leave the other two boxes un-checked ("use previews" and I forgot the third one). These are the essentials for 24p encoding from your GH2. You can mess with audio bitrate -- but the above should do the trick.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions