Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @Bueller have you tried mPlayerX? It's a free app on the app store. Never fails to play my hacked mts files.

• I shot Myst Burst with the LA test gang on Sunday. I tried playing back in VLC player on my Mac Pro but it couldn't handle it. I found an interesting and awesomely efficient video player for the mac called Bino. It's really meant to be a 3D player but handles a lot of different types of files. It is also a little buggy (like quitting the program sometimes locks it up) but when it does work it does so pretty efficiently. I would download the latest stable version for the mac BINO 1.2.1 (there is one for Lion and one for Snow leopard). Here is the link if you want to try it. Also it does do 3D conversion really well (i.e. Side by side to anaglyph).

http://devernay.free.fr/hacks/bino/

• Loving the Quantum stuff @driftwood !

Little acoustic shoot from a friend on Quantum X v2.

• @karl You can save yourself some trial and error by checking here first.

http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/gh2-hack-reference/

• I tried Mysterion as my first patch setting (using a GH2 with SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 64GB), but it turned out to be unstable for me. When using NTSC FSH 1080i60, the camera freezes and needs power cycling after few seconds of recording. NTSC SH 720p60 seems stable, also with ETC. 1080p24 HBR stopped recording randomly after 5 to 500 seconds. 1080p24 24L and 24H were recording stable, but 24H exhibited strange artifacts a few times. MJPEG 1080p30 or 1080p25 recording was stable.

I guess I'll try GOP3ZILLA next, 70 to 100MBit/s is probably enough for what I want to do...

• @Zaven13 go to M and do the changes you need then save custom setting(still under the M) to : C1 , C2 , C 3.it works for me.

• Absolutely everything is stored when you save to a C button...except the shutter speed. Odd, right? It just stays at whatever last speed used, even after a power off and on

• I have been trying to configure GH2 with custom settings for C1, C2 and C3 cust.set memory but it doesn't seem to take effect for some of the settings. For example: I use C1 for photo with SS=200, C2 for 24p with SS=60 and C3 for 720p SH with SS=125. When I switch to each respective memory, all three show the last shutter speed value that was used and does not change with each memory setting. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

• @Fohdeesha Thanks. You're not the only person that's mentioned that issue with grading so I am sure it is something that @Driftwood is keeping an eye on for the next release.

But since you aren't using SH mode, sounds like sticking with Sedna should be easy for the time being.

@GH2_fan Like I said, Sedna Q20 C may perform better and the difference is subtle, so I would try it if you haven't yet.

In terms of what makes it less stable, Manual Movie was originally designed to work at lower bitrates than 24H - so it all begins at the design level. Some experiments were done with intra at 50P but they most definitely did not span, and efforts to develop SH mode have focused on GOPs ranging from 3 to 12 and above. These have been more stable. For many months last year, almost no Driftwood SH settings worked properly on my cards (SanDisk 16GB 30MB/s, 32GB 45MB/s, etc.) and I relied exclusively on Sanity for that. It's been a pleasant surprise to have more options luck this year.

HBR (as you probably remember) was only added to the GH2 with the last firmware update. Some have called it a "Panasonic hack" but this may very well be conjecture. What we do know is that we have not been able to push it as far as 24H and that there seem to be additional challenges associated with it. On top of that, it's a newer mode, which means that there has been less time to figure out what small issues keep it from working. See my above comments for how long it took to get SH mode working properly, then add on the fact that determining what will and won't span (and on what cards) has been an even greater piece of trial and error, and the scale of the problem becomes apparent.

Now, if I knew much more than that, I would probably be trying to work on visual settings of my own, but that's not my specialty. I'm just telling you what has been circulating around the forum. :) I will keep an eye out for other settings with good spanning HBR support.

• Oh, and NTSC

• @thepalalias 24h on a gh2, the regular mysteron. Never had that problem with sedna

• @thepalalias Well, may I ask, what is it exactly that is not keeping stable recording in Manual Movie and HBR modes as 24p??? I really do like Sedena Q20 'A' and recording at ISOs 3200 at least would be nice, ISO12800 is pushing it but the former cant even hold on a couple of minutes :(

• @GH2_Fan There are some that are as stable in HBR as they are in 24H, but just be aware that the design limitations pretty much guarantee a lower image quality for it than for 24H. I will keep an eye for other settings that span flawlessly, but odds are you will have to use one designed for a lower bitrate.

Still, I wouldn't mind finding one that comes really close. :)

@Fohdeesha It's important to keep clear on these things, so I thought I would ask for more information. Which mode(s) were you using? 24H, HBR, FSH, SH? PAL or NTSC? At the moment, my approach (for footage where I want the high bitrate codecs) is to use Mysteron when I need spanning SH mode but Sedna for most of the rest.

• I thought I'd post this here as well. I've only used sedna, but the other day I thought I would test out Mysteron. What I discovered when grading was horrible...while trying to pull HSL keys for secondaries, it revealed the awful, awful blocking and odd chroma encoding going on at higher IRE's. Another user also reported this when trying to key some greenscreen footage. his key showed the same blocks at high IRE value areas.

If you look at the key range, it's huge. I normally pull perfect keys from skies (flat or not) with about 1/5th of the range seen here. But even with this loose of a key, it's barely keying half the sky, and it's just pulling the huge encoded blocks. Pixels right next to eachother that should have nearly the same luma and chroma values, are totally out of range of this gigantic liberal key, Rendered this patch totally useless for me, back to Sedna. I hope the new series does not have this same issue as well

Look here - http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8394/desktop2012041923092188.jpg

• @thepalalias Thanks for letting me know, however I do want to record with as much detail as I can and there will be times that I want to have continous recordings like interviews or performances, yes it is PAL as I am in PAL land :D So it is essential for me to record in 50i and 25p.

It just seems that 24p is somehow the most stable, isnt there any way for anyone to somewhat 'fix' the other modes to have the same stability as 24p within the firmware??? I will make donation! :)

• @GH2_fan i am using the same card and have no issues with mysteron it should span on 24H 24L and SH most likey HBR too but have not tested it yet since it is not something i need. i did have issues with the SH or FSH(or both) with sedna a1 b on this card whereas Mysteron/SH runs even on on class 4 15mbits san disk card without too much panning and extreme detail.

• @GH2_Fan The Sedna setting have been optimized first and foremost for 24H. In other modes, if your scenes have too much detail, you may run into problems on any current card.

But for SH mode, I normally use Mysteron (which has very similar image quality and is the settings that Driftwood has pushed most recently). As you can see in this table, it spans properly in SH mode on the cards I have tested so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AsA0NmRowmMQdGFIbkJuQWRTbzlTODVjV0dsUkpydkE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

If you want to use HBR mode in Sedna Q20, I suggest trying Sedna Q20 C. On the 64GB card I recorded 17 minutes of spanning footage before it ended the recording on me and I had to start again. The other Sedna settings I tested so far did not span in HBR.

I have not been testing HBR very much. Is that the mode most important to you?

UPDATE: You are using PAL mode, right? Just want to make sure I am checking the right settings.

• @thepalalias Well i dont know if it's the card. cause I got it from Amazon, in 24p it happens to record just fine without it stopping, only in Manual Movie and HBR Modes it stops sometimes randomly. When recording at ISO 12800 it just cannot get past 1min and a few seconds, the same goes for all the ISOs until 400 where I am able to record for a few minutes until it stops, that file also becomes unplayable in the camera and not allowing me to delete it.

To remind you, I am using Sedena Q20 'A' on a Sandisk 16GB Class 10 95Mb/s SD card, I think it's so ridiculous that I've spend alot to try and record high quality footage as I was not able to with my previous card but I still happen to get the same results! :( This needs to be fixed.

• @luxis @ssh however the original question was far more likely something to do with the patch or a camera fault... : )

• @luxis f/8 is the diffraction limit, lenses typically perform better @ f/5.6 hence the above recommendation for the maximum sharpness, and yes, you are right, this is completely OT.

• @ssh don't go over f 5.6 seems a little extreme...maybe can move these to another topic

• @DaleCampbell @jhero Yes, don't close your diaphragm beyond f/5.6 (M43), you will get fuzzies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

• @ssh So you mean to say don't go above f5.6?

• @ssh would that explain a completely straight line down just the left hand side?

• @DaleCampbell M43 is diffraction limited at around f/5.6. Avoid f/11.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions