Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @Zeven13, I've used your hybrid for several projects and it works great. No problems at all. Zip. Filled two 32GB cards on one shoot without any errors. I think I have the Sedna Q20 and Sanity 3.

This is one I did with 24p. I also used Shian's ColorGhear.

BTW the lighting was difficult because they were switching between floresent lights and warm lighting and my white balance was off. Still looks pretty good though.

• @Zaven13 how can i try these settings? do you have a link for it?

• @peternap All my thanks!

@adamquesada My thanks! Sedna or Mysteron (that I assume was an experimental version of "Canus") are both great and I've already used both in footage for productions.

@modernhuman I agree on Vibrant and use the settings you noted. The "dynamic range" complaint is a myth from people who refuse to understand levels/curves adjustments. Vibrant is very mildly blurring the chroma channels -- meaning it's creating the closest thing to 4:2:2 footage you can possibly get off this camera (and the colors handle better than "Standard" in post). And, that's why it's the cleanest (relative to noise) profile on the camera. And, because it's cleaner you can raise mid tones and shadows to higher levels -- resulting in more usable detail (broader dynamic range) than other picture profiles.

Regarding Smooth -- it's exactly Standard with mid tones raised slightly.

@shian See above response. And, relying on any single "plug-in" doesn't replace actually learning the fundamentals of color correction and enhancement.

• @luxis. I am attaching the zip file for the settings. Try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. Thanks again to @driftwood, @Ralph_B and @Vitaliy for their great work.

Sanity4-Sedna A Q20 hybrid.zip
  • @onionbrain okidokie will be testing vibrant then! ;) for Mysteron 4x-2?

• @Zaven13 cool! thanks! will try it next.

• whats the recommended setting for vibrant? 4 X -2 ?

• @luxis @PixCanFly

I use -2,-2,-1,-2. Saturation at -1 seems to be the "sweet spot." -2 on saturation and it looks exactly like an HVX200 (a camera that records 4:2:2 color). 0 on saturation is a bit heavy handed.

• Hopefully, I can get back to more testing this weekend. But the test I performed last weekend (posted here), shows that Mysteron is VERY close to Sendna A AQ1. @thepalalias tests above also show the same thing.

• @rajamalik I just forwarded you what he said about it and asked not to pressure him about the settings. But it's all good. :)

I quoted what he said for you - he's so busy he didn't even have time to post and asked me to do it for him.

• @dbp > "I'd follow the whole "shoot flat, grade to whatever" workflow if I was shooting Red Raw files, or even AVC-Intra 100 10 bit 4:2:2, which grades far better than any GH2 hack."

That certainly is a valid point.

• @proaudio4 Glad those tests are of some use.

• EDIT: Here is a good starting point for discussing Color Profiles and Film Modes, all in one place.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/461/gh2-film-modes#Item_84

• @onionbrain thanks for the insight. I'm finding everything you're saying to be true, regarding Vibrant. I've been doing high ISO, high dynamic range scenes, heavy grading, etc. and Vibrant just holds up the best to everything. I compared the 5D (Neutral profile -2, -2, 0, 0 and Technicolor -2, -2, 0, 0) to the GH2 and thought it looked overly washed out and maybe favored green a bit too much. The GH2 color is a way more accurate, actually. It's kind of reminds me of Kodak film vs Fuji.

I've only had my GH2 for a month, but I can't believe this camera isn't getting more attention. It's really amazing. This camera is 700 dollars!

• @Zaven13 Many thanks! I will give this a try asap. I was not finding the time to figure out how to create a hybrid myself. Too much flying! The issue with the hexacopter is that it's wide angle-everything-in-focus high-detail and high-movement. Even on my 64gb 95/s card sedna 60p would stop after a min or two. Sedna 24h has given no issues and spans every time. Amazing how much more data it will have when on the hex...

• Messing around with Driftwood Mysteron settings.

• @thepalalias lol on the new topic attempt. All of this is relative to Driftwood's current patches -- let it go. Besides, you need to be a computer programmer to get the search function on this forum to work as we'd expect it ("+" signs, etc.)

@modernhuman Well, Technicolor is supposed to look "washed out." We'd all love to have Technicolor for the GH2, but we don't, and it's an issue of maximizing results with what we've got. With the hacks, especially the very high bitrate Driftwood patches, we're in a very unique situation relative to production cameras. Vast essay in a sentence -- we've got a reversed Technicolor Cinestyle -- meaning we capture something that looks about finished but we can pull details out of mid tones and shadows to a surprising degree because of the less compressed streams. This is the opposite of Technicolor's Cinestyle -- that, in theory, captures everything and you apply curves or levels adjustments to increase "contrast."

Basically, we're in a new situation here -- and we need to think "new." Just because some old workflow endorsed by some celebrity producer works for a Red or Canon DSLR -- doesn't mean it's the right thing to do with a hacked GH2.

• No, you're all right. I evidently have no idea what I'm talking about, and no experience or knowledge to back it up... I'll just sit over here in the corner in awe of your bodies of work. I certainly wouldn't want to pollute the conversation with my ignorant interjections. How stupid of me to include curves adjustments or color theory in my system, I mean people might actually have the tools and knowledge they need to realize the full potential of their images. What was I thinking when measured the GH2's dynamic range, and showed my students how the GH2 varies from what we're used to with video and film? Clearly, I need to rethink my approach. I should probably give back all the money I've been paid over the last 7 years for doing grading and image enhancement on what probably amounts to a 10th of the DVDs in your collection.

I should definitely renounce everything I learned from the world's most knowledgeable expert in image enhancement, and instead only pay attention to this forum, cuz what the hell was he thinking, performing miraculous restorations of all those classic movies, pushing digital image enhancement to the point of legendary status, making the digital filmmaking revolution possible. What a moron. I couldn't have learned anything from that guy. Certainly not anything helpful to any of you.

No, I should definitely move back to Phoenix, and drive a cab for a living, I'm clearly in over my head.

• @conscius that looks great! Did you dial in that white balance in camera or in post? There's some blockiness in the compression especially the background, don't know if that's the Q20 or maybe the ISO glitch, but otherwise very nice.

• @shian Not sure what exactly happened to set you off as I don't keep up too much here anymore. Too much garbage to sift through and I just don't have that kind of time. But just wanted to say please don't stop doing the amazing work you do. The education you've been providing has proven to be priceless to me. And while I'm still working another job (which I love) to pay my rent. True professionals like yourself have given me the tools to get paying gigs that are at least supporting this ridiculous cinematography vice that I can't seem to control. The tutorials are awesome. Learning so much. Please keep it up. Your work is amazing.

• @shian, I didn't do anything in post. This was de whitebalance I have chosen in the camera. But in movement I don't really see the blockiness. Can you tell me something more about that ISO glitch?

• @shian So -- a few people disagree with your pronouncements regarding a picture profile -- and your reaction is two paragraphs of you justifying yourself?

The world is big enough for different opinions and workflows. Are you?

• @shian @filthy where can I watch the tutorials?

• @modernhuman obviously, what is lost is lost so if you indeed need all the highlight (might not be necessary for a sky for instance, if your subject is in a dark area) that is what you have to expose for, with the means you have. However, exposing as far right on the histogram as possible (without loosing vital information) does yield very good results in my opinion. Better than the other way around.

• @konjow Tutorial are on shian's site: http://colorghear.com Not sure if they're public though. Might only be accessible once you purchase his colorghears. Which by the way is a friggin' steal of a deal for all you get.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions