Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Help me find specific settings topic
  • 142 Replies sorted by
  • Hello,I am looking for a very good and stable setting with max 44mbs. Any ideas?Thank

• @Albi Have you tried the 'GH3matrixonaGH2' setting in the Driftwood threads - see page 1. It wont go above 72Mbps and is Intra. Its not too bad and employs the same matrix as the GH3's 4x4 matrices.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/60/8facc51492defb5d559f491b9a9add.zip

• I recently filmed a performance in a small venue where I had no control over the lights. I used the most recent (sharp) drewnet hack with a 50mm canon FD lens on 720p. I noticed in post that the lights caused my video to come out choppy. Meaning each time the lights changed it would split the video in 3 horizontal bars. Still great quality but wtf.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hack that would work best in a live music setting with constant changing lights and what not?

• Horizontal bands from flashing lights are a rolling shutter artifact. Hack settings won't change that.

• How do you fix a rolling shutter?

• Most CMOS sensors have rolling shutters. The alternative is to buy a different kind of camera with a global shutter.

• Hi guys - 1st time poster. Just moved from a Canon R20 camcorder (yuck) to my first DSLR ever, the GH2.
    I'll be unboxing it later in the afternoon. I've done lots of research and I'm tech savvy but with my lack of DSLR experience I'm expecting to run into hickups. My goal is to record efficiently with no hickups while achieving the best quality possible.

Region = USA
    Storage = Transcend 64 GB SDXC Memory Card
    Lens = GH2 Kit Lens

I need a recommendation for a STABLE hack/patch that will be used for the following purposes =

(1) Church Sermons (1.5 HRS Non-Stop)
    - 40-72Mbps?
    - Good Sound (patch?)
    - Must be able to record non-stop without crashing weekly
    - 1080p 24fps

(2) Youtube VLOGs (8-26 MIN Sessions)
    - Good Low Light
    - Good Sound (patch?)
    - Good facial definition
    - Good keying capability
    - 40-72Mbps?
    - 1080p 24fps

(3) Documentaries/Short Films (recording time varies)
    - Cinema Quality
    - Stabilization Control?
    - Clip Review/Preview
    - Good Low Light
    - Good Sound (patch?)
    - 40-72Mbps?
    - 1080p 24fps /w the occasional SLOW-MO 60fps @ 720P

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

• I have been using Aquamotion, Sanity and FlowMotion for some time now... I now need a different patch. Looking for long record times. Sanity v5 lets me record for 2 hours and 20 minutes on a 32GB Sandisk card. Any other thoughts for patches with a 24L mode that allows for longer record times?

• @EurekaENT If you're looking for one setting(patch) that will do all that, I would definitely go with GH3matrixonaGH2 by driftwood. Scroll up a few posts back on this thread to see Driftwood's brief description along with a link to the .zip file. This is the first setting I've seen that I feel gives an appropriate cinematic look to documentary style footage. It's quite amazing - a really world class look.

• I am seeking some assistance. This is my first post on this very helpful board.

I work primarily with a Canon 5DII and 5DIII. All my tight and in close shots and people shots are done with these cameras. I prefer the FF aesthetic despite the shortcomings of the Canon cameras. But I wanted something with more detail and clarity for the wider shots. So I purchased a GH2 recently and the Panasonic 20mmF1.7 and 14mmF2.5 pancake lenses. I will probably use the 14mm most the time for my wide shots unless I need the F1.7 for low light.

I do primarily documentaries and videos with the intention to appear as cinematic fiction. I have the Sandisk 64gb 95mb card.

Which hack would be best (in terms of image quality and being a match for the 5DII/III) for wide shots given that I never intend to use it for close up shots? I will be shooting both indoors, outdoors, and in bright and dark lighting. I appreciate that a single hack may not be sufficient for the variation of the environments I will be shooting in.

Thanks in advance.

• Any of the recent popular hack settings deliver very high image quality in most shooting scenarios. The differences in picture quality are subtle. You'll only notice differences in extreme scenarios, like ISOs above 2000, or above 640 with ETC mode, or major exposure adjustment in post. The differences between hack settings are mostly about bit rates, card requirements, and support for spanning in each of the GH2's different video modes with different cards, lenses, and settings. There are also stability differences for certain modes, especially 720/60p and HBR 30p.

Check the popular settings and pick one that meets your requirements. My advice is to spend less time pixel peeping, and more time planning and shooting. But do compare the GH2 footage and see how it intercuts with the Canon's. You might decide to do more with the GH2 for the sake of consistency and simplicity.

http://personal-view.com/talks/categories/hack-top-settings

• What is the best cinematic hack, with best quality image (I have 95mb/s 64gb card) I just need to know.

I'm shooting a short tomorrow with quite a lot of VFX and I tried some hacks and from what I've read Canis Majoris is the best? I also tried Sedna Q20 which I liked but I'm not sure...

Can someone assist?

• Hi guys.

I am a newbie. I just purchased a GH2 camera and I want to get the most quality from it. I saw some videos on youtube and I decided to use driftwood for videos. But I wold also like shooting photos.

Are these patches out there improved only for videos or for photos also? If are improved for photos also which patch is the best for taking photos?

Thanks!

• @panda82 None of the patches improve still photos. The quality is still great though! :)

• Hi again.

Can I hack the camera with an Sd Card class 6 with patch from driftwood ?

• Hi. There has been a lot of talk about high bitrate hacks as most of new topics have been mostly about those. I've been using quite old patch from 2011, Kae's 3gop patch which should be about 60M at 24H if i´m right.

I've been browsing a lot of topics here, but haven't found no patches at all around that bitrate and if i have found, like the two on the first post in this topic. Can't seem to find any info if stable or not. I might try the cbrandin 44M/32M(spanning) GOP12 AQ4.

There was some appealing look to Kae's 3gop patch, maybe i´m imagining things. Are there any other new stable patches around that bitrate? Or maybe even lower, when going to record events.

= >

• @256colour Kae's patch is indeed old, it was using Panasonic's firmware ver 1.0 - you can read more about that FW version and patches for it in the Faqs:
    http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq
    Otherwise, the link on the mostright column up "top settings" will track you easy to many stable patches.

@panda82 After loading the choosen patch into Ptool you can save the hacked firmware to any SD card and flash it. But for recordings, better use the cards with speed recommended by Nick Driftwood. Slower cards than recommended will usually not work well- either spanning problems or camera freezing will occur. Class 6 won't work for most of driftwood's patches. Read his first post related to the patch you attend to try.

• Hi This is my first post. I've had trouble trying to find the right patch for my uses.

I have two annoying sandisk 32gb extreme 45mbps (and four 8 gig sandisk extreme pro 45mbps) cards and I was looking for a patch that would let me span when shooting 25pHBR and not eat up all the space in my card. ( I do a lot of gigs and weddings with very long takes). I understand that the cards I have are only effectively 22.5mbps because of the gh2's issues with UHS-I. Also I was wondering is the 50i really 50i or is it progressive in an interlaced wrapper like the gh1? If that's the case then I reckon I could make do with that and convert to progressive in post. Might give me more freedom with patches. Any help would be great. I've already tried Sanity but it didn't span with my cards. Got decent record time though.

I guess I'm looking for a patch that is optimised for 25pHBR (or 50i if I can convert it to 25p without any issues) that will span on a sandisk extreme 32gb 45mbps and will still leave me with plenty of space on the card. I also need 720 50p but they'd be for shots no more than a couple of mins.

• @Kev, check the topic titles here and you should find something to suit your needs: http://personal-view.com/talks/categories/hack-top-settings

The GH2's 1080i mode is really 1080i. HBR mode is progressive video formatted as interlaced. http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage

Don't confuse bits and bytes. Your cards are rated for 45 MB (megabytes) per second, and can do around 20 MB per second even without UHS mode. That's well over 100 Mbps (million bits per second).

• @Kev
    I see balazer answered you most of questions quicker than I was typing :-) Yes, mind that 1MB/s = 8Mbit/s. And read this part of Faqs regarding the SD cards:

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq

And what I can tell you from my own experience, Balazer's patch "Cake v2.3" might be good one for your needs. Try it and see yourself. That patch spanned just every time on my GH2 and IQ is also excellent

• Newbie question:

I make instructional videos only; no art. I need decent slo-mo, at human movement scale only (no bullets hitting lightbulbs). Running, jumping, etc. I do not want to do any correction in post (to the footage, I mean, talking about lifting shadows, changing exposure). I just want the best 720p for my needs, straight out of camera directly.

All I need is the cleanest rendition of human movement, and only at 720p. I have GH2, second system sound, Panny 25/1.4, CV 12/5.6 on adapter, and Lumix 14/2.5, ancillary gear.

I have watched footage from Sanity, Driftwood, and others; I would very much like other's input on this. The camera will only be used for video; I shoot other gear for stills. TIA, KL

• Hi, all. I've finally acquired a fast memory card (the Sandisk Extreme pro, 32 gig), which means that I can probably handle one of the higher-bitrate hacks. I'd like to give the card a good shakedown, so I have a few questions. Such as:

Which of the higher-bitrate hacks would be best to try out? Flow Motion failed with a slower card, so I could try that one, but is there another that offers lesser macroblocking?

Any suggestions as to what I should photograph, to really stress the cameras?

I'd also like to test spanning, sound recording, and whether exhausting the battery will damage the recording. I'll probably just aim the camera out my window for a full day for these.

Suggestions?

• I think I have installed the "No adverse affects" hack; the camera had firmware 1.1 installed on delivery, and I followed all the directions for adding this hack to it in Ptool, and loading onto card, following mpgxsvcd's excellent video. The update looked like it was doing something (took ~45" or more to complete). What's the quickest/simplest way to check that the hack is installed? I did read all the GH2 FAQs before posting. What I am hoping for is a setting or function that does not appear in the Panasonic 1.1 firmware, but does in "No adverse affects".