Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Help me find specific settings topic
  • 142 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood @bmcent1

Ok guys I just received a couple of SunDisk SDXC 95MB/sec, now I think I can use any hack I want finally, so please my last two questions:

Aerial videos with wide lens and sharp detailed subjects like trees buildings architecture reflections on water ecc..., I do not want to see digital sharpening artifacts, I do light grading and color correction, footage is not action style, it's more landscape slowly moving, like on rails dolly. What patch ? Sedna AQ1? Q20? others ?

Landscape Cityscapes videos, documentaries, stable or some some camera movements, not action movements, color correction and medium grading in post, subjects could have gradients (sunsets, skies) and also have details like old walls, dense nature foliage... what hack do you suggest ?

About spanning, when does it happens ? what to do ?

Ok that were 4 question, sorry ehe

Thanks a lot guys, I tried the No Adverse Effect but I need a little more quality, with this patch I don't see great gradients in the sky when I pan the camera, and lot more visible if I grade them..

• this is done with "No Adverse Effect"

and graded in Final Cut Pro X

• my footage sedna q1:

• lens tamron 60mm canon....

• Hi, wondering if anyone can help

Looking for lowest noise possible in a low-light indoors situation with minimal lighting

Basically all static shots

Shooting 1080 25p w FD 1.8 / 50mm

The mood of the film suits if its fairly dark, but it's set in the day time, so it still has to look like day

Would like to know best patch for least possible noise and low light performance. I know the gh1 is the best low-light camera, but I'm just trying to make it as best as possible

I appreciate any help/advice from anyone. Thank you.

• How do I use Pulse audio and Sanity 5 at the same time?

• Hi,

I just joined and contributed via PayPal. Thank you to Vitaly and everybody who has worked on these cameras for all of us.

I am new (as in brand-spanking new) to video. I hacked the G2 with an lpowell patch, and I got some decent results filming lizards off a tripod. So I got excited and bought a brand new GH2.

I found the "best GH2 hacks in one place" thread, but there is WAY too much information there for me, given my current low level of technical knowledge about video. I will learn more eventually, but at the moment I just need advice on a decent patch to get me started with the GH2.

I am interested in documentary-style video, although much of the time I will be shooting off a tripod. I will be shooting wildlife, and also documentary scenes in the streets of a city. I will need decent low-light performance from time to time. I want a good balance between high bitrates and long record times. I am also interested in time-lapse photography. I am also interested in guidance in the menus of the camera as to what the different settings are. Is this possible? I kind of fly by the seat of my pants with the G2, because the menus don't tell me anything.

Thank you very much for your help.

Bob

P.S. If this is posted to the wrong sub-forum, could you please move it for me? Thanks.

• Hi. I used following patch from the first days: Gop3zilla with Sedna matrix - 25HBR . Today I installed "GOP3ZILLA_SednaAQ1C_V2.1_BETA2.zip" . seems to me I answered to my Q by myself. :)

• @robbie75vr

If you saw "Great Gradients"(change in the value of a quantity) in the sky then you would see a lot of banding. I think you just used a term that means the opposite of what you are trying to say. However, can you show us an example of a sky shot? Your video didn't seem to have any of those in it.

Oh yea. Personally, I thought the video you posted looked really good even just watching it on Vimeo without downloading it. Nice solid colors and I didn't see any fixed pattern noise at all.

Great job. Your film looks interesting.

• Hi guys, I am new in gh2. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. What does these settings means.

E1 Quality=512 E1 Table=4 E2 Quality=422 E2 Table=26 E3 Quality=422 E3 Table=26 E4 Quality=486 E4 Table=6 F1 Quality=454 F1 Table=2 F2 Quality=224 F2 Table=36 F3 Quality=224 F3 Table=36 F4 Quality=454 F4 Table=8

• June 25th, I start shooting the feature film Saving Dinah (see http://savingdinah.com and http://www.facebook.com/groups/407980299222552/) with the GH2. It's a three week shoot. Lenses are mostly Canon FL primes. I shot the screen tests with Cake 2.3 to avoid spanning issues. So, I'm looking for recommendations about which patches might be recommended for the main shoot. Like in most features, we have day and night shoots, and the usual mix of shots including closeups of the actors. One sequence, a brutal dog fight, is being lit with three or four alcohol camp lights. There are no lengthy (over 4 minute) shots planned. We have adequate lights. Little compositing in post is expected, and only the usual color correction. Green screen is limited to video in TV sets.

The release of Saving Dinah will include theatrical using D-cinema projection (2K), and of course all the usual distribution windows thereafter. We're not planning any transfers to film.

Recording media is SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s.

As we all know, there is a range of patches available, and all seem good. But, given this site is the GH2 patch brain trust, what choice or strategies would "you" adopt in my situation -- and why?

In advance, let me offer my appreciation for any recommendations offered. We're in a new, new world of film making here and everyone's thoughts are invaluable.

• G'day,

I am primarily a photographer who is transitioning into video. I shoot with a Pentax K5 and primes and recently purchased a GH2 after becoming somewhat frustrated with the K5's video performance. For video, the GH2 is a revelation after the K5 especially with the firmware magic that has turned such an inconspicuous little camera into an amazing piece of video gear.

I'm about to begin shooting a documentary on local identity, Baba Des (see photos below). There will be an interior sitdown interview and also some outdoor shoulder rig and Glidecam shots. The interior interview will be fully lit with a large softbox and some rim/hairlighting. The lighting will allow 160 ISO @ F2.8 - F4.0 (1/50th sec)

For white balance and exposure I will be using a WhiBal card, Seckonic L358 incident meter and Tiffen Colour/Grayscale chart.

After some experimentation I have decided to use 'Smooth' all at -2 as I want to avoid colour over-saturation and allow at least some leeway in post - Unless someone has another suggestion.

Lenses used will be Pentax primes including the SMC-50mm F1.4, and FA31, FA43 and FA77 Limiteds and DA15 Limited and a Pentax K > m4/3rd's adapter.

I have two SanDisk Extreme Pro 64g 95mb cards and will have a laptop onsite for data transfer to an external 2TB drive so I am not too concerned about file sizes for the sitdown interview.

So far I have tried Sanity 5, EOSHD Unified 88mb and have just began using Flow Motion V2.0. Flow Motion seems excellent for retaining detail.

The documentary will be shot at 25fps/1080P (Australia PAL).

My question is what firmware settings could anyone recommend as being most appropriate? I may go with Sanity 5 when out in the field (train trip and inner city walk) but I'm thinking some fairly high bitrate settings may be preferable to retain detail his clothing, jewellery and paraphanlia around his house during the interview. Would one of Nick Driftwoods high constant bit-rate settings be suitable? I don't know? - Cheers

_IMG8647.jpg
    797 x 1200 - 380K
    _IMG8464.jpg
    797 x 1200 - 365K
    _IMG8585.jpg
    1200 x 797 - 358K
    _IMG8668.jpg
    1200 x 797 - 249K
    _IMG8672.jpg
    1200 x 797 - 357K
  • Hi guys, Which settings do You recommend for holiday shots, mainly landscapes, cities, ocean and mountain? I guess it doesn't require such a high bitrate patch but correct me if I'm wrong. Please advise which shall I use? Thank You!

• @pundit For high detail and high bitrate I would recommend Driftwoods Sedna AQ1 hack. Defiantly will give you a lot of detail.

Also did you take thoses photos with the GH2?

• @DeShonDixon Thanks. Not the GH2. The photos were shot on a Pentax K7 just over two years ago. I now have a Pentax K5 which has a much better sensor. However while the K5 can shoot video the GH2 is far superior for video. The lighting was a single 43" Photek Softlighter fitted with a 300w/s monobloc flash. I'm using the Photek Softlighter again for lighting the video interview but it will be fitted with 4 x 85watt spiral fluorescent globes with a little bounce fill on the shadow side and some rim/hairlighting. I want to try match the lighting from the photoshoot as closely as possible but with the addition of the rim lighting.

• @pundit The Pentax K7 takes great photos!

• @DeShonDixon Thanks I'll let it know! However the is K5 better especially in underexposed regions where its ability to retain shadow detail in low ISO RAW files is amazing.

How does Sedna AQ1 perform in HBR 25 (PAL)?

It appears quite a few of these patches are biased more towards the GH2's 24fps cinema mode than HBR.

As I am in Australia (PAL) I will tend to shoot at 25fps 16:9 @ 1080p for documentary work.

For film, shorts etc. I will probably use 24fps and maybe experiment with 2.35:1 cropped from 16:9 @ 1080p.

• @pundit It should do pretty well, but i'll double check that for you. I'll get back to you on that as soon as possible.

• @pundit Actually driftwood just told me a better patch right here

dc4fd6b7d2d04717e1e8124158a771.zip
  • I'm having trouble importing my mts files into after effects. Can anybody help me with this?

• @pundit Sorry its been changed again but this is best for PAL

d3c835ad3d151dca5bbed81ee82538.zip
  • I'm shooting a concert at a cafe next weekend for a band. I've been testing lots of hacks. Here's how I'll be shooting and what I'm looking for:

-With Zeiss Primes wide open between F1.4 to F2.8 -ISO up to 640, preferably not beyond that. -My longest take may be up to ten minutes. The show shouldn't last more than 30. -I have one of the new 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s cards. I will probably purchase a 32GB 45mb/s this week before the show. -I will probably take several 720p/60 shots for later conversion to slow-mo. -I'd like to reduce noise as much as possible. -I'm shooting the entire concert static with a Sony EX-1 and using the GH2 for close-ups and handheld coverage, so I suppose long takes aren't necessary. I can stop recording and start again and cut to my EX-1 coverage. So I have a back up.

Let me know if you need more info, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to use Sedna A but the only issue is spanning, which again is not absolutely necessary but would be nice. I'm testing Sedna spanning right now with my 16GB 45mb/s card to see how it does.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: My 16GB 45mb/s card does not span the Sedna A 24H setting but it does span the Sedna 24L setting.

Also, the much debated question: should I shoot smooth or nostalgia? There will be a lot of shadows and I don't want the shadows full of noise.

• @spikedurben Use Sanity 5 and Smooth

• Hi,

I am shooting aerial video most of the time and uses alot of panning, may i know which patch will be good for panning without jello effect ? Sorry for my newbie questions.

Thanks

• @silver This is a noob forum no need to be sorry. But uh I would probably use Sanity or the Flow motion patch