Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Help me find specific settings topic
  • 142 Replies sorted by
  • which the best patch so far for the GF2?

• Just want to ask, how do i disable the time stamp on the lower left hand corner during playback on my laptop, i had been running thru the menu, but just can't find it.

• Hello, I've previously asked this question, but I still don't understand a few things with hacking, sorry:( So, first of all I use my GH2 for shooting videos in cities and landscape, mostly wide angle. I have a pretty fast card (SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s) but don't want to have lets say 150mbit/s settings because they simply consume too much space, though I'd like to be my video quite highly detailed. I rarely shoot stationary objects from a tripod where everything is static, but with a little bit of move (e.g cities again) from handheld, which can be considered as there is a specific amount of movement in my videos. That's why I would like to know more about GOP, but I still have no idea about how does GOP work? I've read a few topics about it but still don't know which settings should I use. Currently I use Driftwood Cluster PAL 12 GOP/ NTSC 15 GOP 72mbit, which is told to be "long". Is this a correct choice regarding details and movement according to Your opinion? (Yes, I know that I should see if it is good or not, but I don't know if maybe other patches would work better) I beleived (If i got things well) that long GOP can help if there is movement in the video, is it correct? What setting would You recommend for me? Thank You in advance,

Regards, Tom

• Save The Noobs! Seems to be about 10:1 questions to answers in this thread unfortunately, altho a lot of the questions about settings are subjective (and in the wrong place?), maybe that's why.

@spikedurden How did your shoot go? The GH2 hack faq (http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq) specifically mentions your SD cards as not recommended; "The SanDisk Extreme HD video 30 MB/s cards are apparently being discontinued and replaced with “Extreme HD Video” or just “Extreme” 45 MB/s cards. Early indications are that the new 45 MB/s cards perform similarly to the old 30 MB/s cards in the GH2. 45 MB/s Extreme cards are not to be confused with the old 45 MB/s “Extreme Pro” cards, which are not recommended."

PP

• @Tomee21 This is @Driftwood 's opinion it should help you out.

Ok, I'm going to go on record here. As I get asked all the time what are my favourite personal shooting settings. Mysteron 24p is my fun patch and the burst mode is pretty killer but it will stop recording at some stage.

All round Settings: 24p - Sedna A Q1 as an all rounder, though A Q20 provides great lower bitrate performance. It has the edge over Quantum 9B. Plus it took me an age developing & experimenting with matrixes for finer Chroma/Luma.

Night: 24p - Canis Majoris 'Night' Setting. I just love it for my evening Dusk to near Dawn Shots. However, I may release Day AM after further evaluations.

Documentary/Event Shooting: All REC Modes: Cluster v5 12/15. And I will soon be adapting some new matrix ideas for this. Currently the Q target is 16 and stays on it on motion water tests beating all GOPs greater than 1.

Green Screen: 24p/720p - Crossfire 'Green Screen' setting has worked very well for me.

I love all my 2012 settings regardless of what people think. They all serve a purpose else I wouldn't have bothered. What is critical is YOUR feedback, this is why I upload all the settings that I am solely satisfied with to test further in the public domain. I refuse to believe that one man can judge which is best and I do indeed LOVE and LISTEN to your feedback - it IS taken on board. Whether I reply or not. I get a ton of emails, and PV pms everyday so sometimes its difficult.

I'm very impressed with bkmcwd's 3GOP 24p modes too - and they look superb with Sedna matrix from my own tests.

To be honest, I'm not happy with any HBR/1080i/720p modes and I have personally found it difficult to find exceptional results in these modes through a variety of GOPs.

Intra SH/FSH: 720p50 as you have seen in early Driftwood Intra releases is pretty good. However, 720p60 cannot work for more than 4 seconds at Intra. Both 720 modes when adjusted affect 1080i/HBR modes (well documented in the past). 1080i/HBR Intra isn't too bad for both 30p/60i/25p/50i, however, the longer GOPs 2 (Mozes has done good work here), GOP3 see Driftwood settings, 6 Driftwood, bkmcwd and Lee Powell's are good, 12/15 GOP cbrandin or Cluster and RalphB's 18 GOP (I think Im correct?) have their followers.

When it comes to flowing detail @LongJohnSilver 's severe test (fine detail underwater) has killed many a setting including my own. I would recommend filming in 24p Intra in this situation and pro-up to 29.97fps in post. But its just a fix. I would like to see how CLuster v5 gets on with that scene before dedicating more time to these settings. Reports from drewnetwork suggest that Cluster v4 12/15 GOP handles detail and motion very very well... and Cluster v5 should help accomodate detail even further. I am looking to refine the matrix further for Cluster for these Long GOPs and sort out the laws of P and B frames (Ps really should be bigger than Bs I'm afraid and I don't believe they should share the same matrix).

A HBR Shootout, 720p Shootout and 24p Shootout is probably unfair as some people provide settings for lower bitrate consumption but as you know I always test for quality that is my objective and for that matter, bitrate always seems to be king - though a good sampling with P and B frames can get very good results. Maybe we will never get there... before the next camera comes out. But there's a whole choice of great settings out there be it cbrandin's, bkmcwd's, Lee's, Ralph's, Cake, mine and more... Whatever works and rocks your senses - use.

• @DeShonDixon That answers a hell of a lot of the questions anyway, nice one. And obviously thanks to @Driftwood for his opinion in this case!

• @PeterParkorr haha yeah! Thats why I posted it. People rarely check the noob forum. So I just assume they would look at that and most of their questions would get answered. Yup all credit and thanks go to @Driftwood he has a great personal opinion haha.

• hey guys, i have recently upgraded from GH1 to GH2, and still digging my way through the plethora of new patches available.

however, i need a quick short term solution as i'm about to shoot a music video clip for a friends band (nothing serious just a bit of fun), and just looking for a similar patch to lpowell's peak reliability which i was happily using on the GH1

i'm using 95/mbps sandisk cards now (i was using 30mbps cards on the gh1), and shooting this clip in 720p/50. its going to be shot all outdoors in the sunlight. i don't need anything crazy, just something solid and reliable, similar to the peak reliability, but hopefully a step up since i'm now using GH2 and 95mbps cards.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

ps. as a side note on the 95/mbps sandisk cards, is there anything wrong with using a 8gb or 16gb card? in the FAQ's there is only 32 / 64gb cards listed, is that purely because a 8 / 16gb card will fill up too quickly with high quality patches, or is there also a performance issue with the smaller cards? i will be using the cards 99% of the time with very short takes, and be able to transfer card contents to a laptop quickly and easily during my shoots, so storage space is not an issue for me.

thank you :)

• @m_c a 16gb is fine I use a 16gb if you want a reliable patch that will also give you a sharp image I would use Orion v4d on driftwoods thread.

• thanks deshon, i'll check out the orion v4d patch

good to know about 16gb card, how about 8gb card though?

• I've never used a 8gb before but yeah it should work to but if you wanna be like suuuppperrr extremly safeee. I would used Sanity 5 its never failed me before but I've only used it once. It gives pretty sharp footage but I would much rather prefer driftwoods hacks cause there super extremely sharp to me personally and his hacks are always reliable for me depending which you use. But yeah if your trying to be supper safe use Sanity 5 if you got your laptop by and stuff like that use driftwoods hacks you should be safe. But I use a 16gb with driftwoods hacks and I never have problems.

• just gave orion v4d a little test this afternoon, def liking the looks of it.

so there is definitely a difference in performance between the 8gb and 16gb 95/mbps cards, not just storage space?

• I just bought a GH2, after give up a sony a77... I didn't hack it yet. I'm still trying to understand how to do it before to do, and trying to learn how the settings works... I think I'll have to expend few hours reading this forum and wikipedia.... but I'll do it....

but anyway, I would like to get an advice of what patch could work better for me... or at least what patch should I give a try first!

I bought this camera mainly to use it in my motorcycle tour, so I expect to record a lot of landscapes, shaky/handheld footage, and Timelapses (using gh13/timelapser).
    I think the timelapse function was the icing in the cake to me to decide to buy this camera...I'm looking foward to test it....

I think that besides the timelapses, I'll never record more than 4 minutes straight... But I need a reliable/efficient bitrate, as I will be abroad most of the time and sometimes will be hard to unload the footage from the cards... so I have to save space....and battery...

I got some 32gb Sandisk Extreme cads - 45MB/s and also got some 16GB Integral class10...

What patch should I try?

Thanks!

• @m_c yeah I would think so I've never had a 8gb before but im pretty sure the 16gb out performs it

• @cogumelo Give @driftwood 's Cluster v6 a try.

• I ask for help. This weekend I´m going to participate in a DSLR shootout aganist 5DmkIII and Nex-5, I would like to do my best with my GH2. My question is: What is the best setting for resolution and detail right now?. I used wonderfull settings, but do not know what´s the best for pixel-peeping. Many thanks to all, and specially to Nick and Vitaly.

• anyone got any other recommendations for GH2 that are similar but slightly better to GH1 max latitude 75mbps?

• @m_c There are many settings out there for moderate bitrate /hi quality. Try GOLGOP, Cluster, Flowmotion, Cake, cbrandin or Sanity (in no particular order) and see which you prefer - then there's also the wide variety of Intra settings available but will use much more bitrate...

• Jello is a sensor issue, not something that can be fixed with settings. Jello is less when shooting 720p than it is with 1080p. Also EXT Tele mode has less jello.

• Just decided to hack the GH2. I've been reading the humongous amount of information and wisdom you have here but I'm completely lost. I'd like to find a patch that suits what I do but dont know where to begin. What I'm interested in is:

• Shooting PAL, 25fps 1080P.

• Using ETC mode primarily.

• Lots of pans and movement.

• 10-15 min of continuous recording.

• Looking for a good balance of quality and reliability, with the focus on reliability.

• Would use 95mb Sandisk card.

If someone has a recommendation on what to try, I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks!

• Where it says codec I meant patch. :P

Edit: And didnt realize I could edit. :(

• I am looking for a stable patch that provides a high bit rate and the ability to directly playback in cam without the need to switch it off first. I am also wanting to implement the Pasadena sound settings.

I am more interested in stability and direct playback than push the camera to its limits. As far as the sound hack goes I am just trying to limit or eliminate the Automatic Gain Control (AGC).

• I would like to know if there is any patch or setting that records real 2fps on the card... something that writes JUST 2fps on the card for timelapses...

• Hi everyone. I've had a GH1 and just got a GH2. I have some questions as far as all of these settings go.

I'm really liking what I've seen from people using the Orion v4b patch. I think that a lot of it looks like big screen / feature film quality with is amazing!

Does anyone know if this patch retains all normal camera functionality.. e.g. playback in all modes, spanning, ect...? If not, does anyone know what is the highest quality patch that does? What patch would also give you the best quality at reasonable bit rates, would it be Sanity 5?

Basically, I would like to know what patch is going to retain all normal camera features while enhancing them as much as possible. If the Orion patch does this, that's perfect. What is the difference between the Orion v4b and v4d patches?

I'm currently running a SanDisk 16gb 95 MB/s card which I just purchased with the GH2. I have the 14-140 and 20mm lenses. I will mainly be doing music videos, with some possible low light shots for nightclubs.

Also, when hacking my GH1 I would just make sure "prevent version compare" was checked when loading a new patch, and I wouldn't rename the firmware filename, I would just save it as the original firmware filename. When loading a new patch / firmware in the GH2 do we still need to rename the file each time as a higher number for it to take effect, or can we just overwrite the original?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Hmmm... really having a tough time deciding which patch I want to use. Orion V4b is really good, but the file sizes are just too big. Aquamotion v2... Flow Motion v2... can't decide which one I like better. Flow Motion does not allow for in camera playback of MJPEG though. Then there's Sanity v5... why are there so many hacks? Wow, this is really frustrating! I want to pick just one to use, but can't decide. Thoughts anyone?