Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias so sweet ,..thank you for u r response my dear friend,...i have been using mysteron for past 24 hrs. at my view i didnt find it having more details like sedna aaq1 does. but, instead it has lower noise and responsive in post production i pushed exposure to +90 stops and its still responsive no white or over light patches anywhere.my big doubt is do i need to keep sedna aaq1 if i need to take more detailed and sharper shots...or mysteron is close enough and i dont need sednas at alll,...this is my doubt.....

• @Rajamalik I am looking through my footage from a couple days ago to see if I have any that are close enough to be useful. Otherwise, it goes on my to-do-list just as soon as I finish the music video that releases this week for Joanna St. Claire.

• Here is a reference PNG for the noise level/detail level of Orion, Factory and Sedna AQ1 A and Sedna AQ1 C that I did a few days ago.

Shutter 1/50 ISO 1,600 WB 4,500K f/4.0 Standard -2, -2, -2, -2 EX 24H

Shot using Rokinon 58mm f/1.4 MD mount with Fotodiox adapter in a tiny isolated closet illuminated only by the light source visible in the frame. The tripod shifted slightly (since there was no room to move) but everything else stayed the same from shot to shot (no lighting changes, etc.).

@No_SuRReNDeR I do not have similar Mysteron footage to compare to, but as you can see, the low light performance compares quite favorably both with Factory and with Orion. Which patch were you comparing the noise level to?

Factory - Blue 32GB-0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Orion - Delkin 633x-0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sedna AQ1 A- SDXC 64 -0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sedna AQ1 C - Black 32-0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Driftwood Thanks for the fantastic patches you made, especially Mysteron. I think it's currently the best patch in terms of dynamic range, colours and noise. Tested it for two days now mostly in nostalgic and smooth, underexposed 2-3 steps and the result is amazing! I'm very excited about your future releases, especially in terms of colours and curves. :)

• anyone tried mysteron vs sedna A in sharpness and details??

• @driftwood Thanks for all your hard work. Your efforts are so appreciated

• @Driftwood Same question as Paglez : are you working on the Big Breakthrough towards a 4:2:2 codec replacing 4:2:0 ? (Exciting...) As concern picture styles ("film modes" in Pany language) I still stick to "smooth" which offer the best latitude in most situations. However I have noticed that some specific green shades are not correctly rendered in smooth mode. None of Pany modes are really satisfying.

• @onionbrain No I filmed it in SMOOTH -2 -2 -2 -1... I am aware of the blue noise issue...

I had a .9 ND filter on to deal with the highlights maybe that's why it looks like nostalgic a bit.

Blue BD didnt help obviously...

• LUTs, probably.

• Colourspace. Do you refer to 420/422.? Could you change this parameter?

• @MikhailK "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT"

Had that come up on a shoot today giving Mysteron a try with 64GB Sandisk. Without formatting, or trying to shoot a smaller clip (which I couldn't as it wouldn't record) I just turned off, pulled the SD card & put back in and it was good to go.

• Canis & Cluster v2 are still being tweaked... been so busy looking at colourspace...

• @driftwood

Thanks for explain, I forgot to say I shoot it on 50p (Standard -2x4). News about Canis Majoris?

• @onionbrain I ran into files that show up as 0kb-long on slower cards before. (I have since moved on to the 95MB/s 64 GB SanDisk and haven’t had this problem.)

I might be completely off in my understanding of this new option, but that’s what I gather from its description in the tooltip and from what others have been saying about it.

• Absoultely. Indeed, my 24p Intra patches will just stop and write the file under normal circumstances. Just remember to record a small 5-10 second file after a spanned recording. Simple.

• @Mr_Moore

Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense if you've experienced "corrupted files when it tries to span." However, I've never experienced "corrupted files when it tries to span."

• @onionbrain

I'm not certain I understand the logic of this new feature

The logic seems to be fairly simple. Which high-bitrate patches the GH2 may record corrupted files when it tries to span (and fails). You can prevent this from happening manually by stopping the recording, but if you forget to do it, you may end up with corrupted/missing footage. This option allows you to set the maximum recording time limit manually.

For example, Nick’s Orion patches record just under 5 minutes of footage before the GH2 needs to create another 4 GB file. If you manually set the recording limit to, say, 4 minutes, the GH2 will gracefully stop recording before it fills up the first 4 GB file and your footage is guaranteed to be good.

• @No_SuRReNDeR

It looks like you filmed that with Nostalgic, and your issue is with the blue "chroma" noise. Blue noise on nostalgic is a problem -- it handles blue worse than any other profile.

None of this relates to Sedna. Sedna neither fixes nor enhances the blue "chroma" noise issue.

Your options are to try Normal (or Vibrant, that slightly blurs the chroma channels, thus reducing the appearance of noise), or to use Neat Video on that clip -- and Neat Video should do an excellent job with that clip.

• @MikhailK Deselect the Recording Limit setting in “Patches for testers” > Extra in PTool 3.65, and you’re good to go. (Don’t forget to select the “30min limit removal” option if you have a European-market GH2.)

• @MikhailK

This is the new feature with 3.65d. I turned it off when I messed with "mysteron" and had no problems.

Go down to the red skull options (for testers, or whatever), and I believe it's the option at the very bottom.

I'm not certain I understand the logic of this new feature -- but -- these guys are the pros and they know what they're doing.

• The record time related patch setting of pToools 3.5d can be set to any you like, I could have changed it, but everyone will probably set it to whatever they prefer. The safest 24p approach is probably 237 seconds - just under 4 min FAT limit before it makes new file. From my tests I recorded 2 x 4Gb 24p files, then a small recording, followed by 2 HBR recordings immediately followed by 12 minutes of 720p60 which I stopped manually. The new patch does need fully testing though by all span fans.

• @onionbrain,

Your advice works but now I've discovered a new glitch with the 64 gig 95 MBps Sandisk card. Al teast with my current Mysteron patch.

1. When this card is empty you can record 29m 59sec. But...even if your first record lasts only a few seconds and you stop recording then... then your next record starts right from the beginning!

So, you won't know how much space is left! Gh2 will tell you that you still have the same 29m 59sec left.

This glitch is discovered in 24H and 24L. All the same. Strange that 24L tells you that you have 29m 59sec left...

@onionbrain, @driftwood, I'm afraid that this thing has something to do with pToools 3.5d or the new patches (at least Mysteron).

• Sedna just kills my cards...and noise, ughhh.... it looks really nasty on my GH2 even 160ISO Here is RAW quick 3 clips shlepped together I did for work-(Science Instructor) no CC Log and Transfer Final Cut Sedna A --- First shot is H mode but it kept crashing on the 30mb sandisc other 2 were on L ..14-42 w/ND filter at I think F 5.6 or somewhere near the sweet spot.... I'M switching to mysteron tonight.

-NOTE this was just so she could show a colleague and NOT my actual edit obviously....

• @Kihlian Sedna 50p and 25p is best and always has been. 60p and 60i / HBR is always the problem setting. Mysteron brings back high quality when the detail is there for the 60 modes but not so stressed on less quality. Not as much stress on 50 modes at all, but because of shared settings with 60 its had to take a hit. Nevertheless its not so bad for long recordings. :-)

The thing about Mysteron is; if detail is there, the i, p and B frames will begin to climb and more of the bitrate will be eaten out of the available sandwich. So its a fairly comfortable patch which should work on ALL settings. The 24p is summit else though... running Sedna very close and probably better on the noise levels with the analysed deblocking of i frames.

@MikhailK the workaround 'record small video after long one/or span on 65Gb card' has been known for months and is everywhere on personal-view.

• @Kihlian Great test. Back to Sedna A...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions