Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @jrd that's weird 'cause they actually support Cineform in MOV wrapper, not in AVI. At least it do in Windows, maybe it's different if you use the Mac version.

• @Kihlian What didn't you like about it?

• @peternap From mi very short test (I loaded Mysteron try it 5 min the same day that was released and then turn back to Sedna because I had a shoot the next day). The bitrate was very low and the image was not so sharp like Sedna A, but how I say have to make more accurate tests..

• @Kihlian I was shocked at the bitrate in 720-60 too and that's what I shoot most in....but it doesn't seem to have hurt the image quality in that mode. I think sometimes we put way too much value on high bitrates. Sanity is my choice for image and stability in 720, and has a higher bitrate, but still not as high as Flo Motion and IMO, a better image. Nick may have found the magic button with this.

• @driftwood, guys,

Could you please help me with one spanning problem.

As I said before, I tried Mysteron patch and everything worked fine. I use SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC UHS Class 1 95MB/s 64GB.

I tried to test it on spanning. Several files (each is about 4gb) were created but my card hasn't been fully recorded. I know there's still some space.

Then when I tried to record something more and it said: "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT". And of course, all the spanned files cannot be played/erased on GH2 as well. Format only...

I do realize somebody faced this problem before. Could you give me an advice on fixing it?

• @MikhailK I encountered that problem recently too, but on my Transcend 64GB SDXC. I did not try to solve it, I just switched cards. Anyone have any ideas?

• @Mikhailk, @thepalalias. "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT". I had that problem. Copy what you have on the card to hard drive and reformat the card. You are good to go.

• @MikhailK I have also had the cannot record file number exceed limit error. Everything that was already recorded worked fine though and there was quite a bit more space on card. Also, I know for fact that I have recorded many more spanned files before. For me it has been occurring with sedna aq1. I never had this happen before with Orion. I also noticed that it seems to happen when you stop a long recording with spanned files then try to start a new recording. I have never had the camera just stop recording on me. all on 64g 95mb/s.

• @Zaven13 Yes, I did that when I got back home. But I was thinking more along the lines of resolving or preventing it in the field instead of addressing it after the fact.

• We are forgetting Driftwood's announcement about Canis Majoris. Nick what's about this setting? Are you left its developement? tell us anything, please!!

• @thepalalias. I understand. May be there is a limit to number of files that can be recorded on these cards. As we record, delete and re-record, the file numbers can get into hundreds and reaches a limit. It is a good practices to reformat these cards periodically or after every shoot. Also having some spare cards just in case.

• @MikhailK

Yes -- you've run straight into the only glitch I've encountered with the 64 gig, 95 MBps Sandisk card.

This is NOT a patch issue -- it's an issue of this camera with this card.

No files are damaged, and there is only one known not-too-annoying fix.

This error happens after you've recorded a spanned ("long") recording and then turn off your camera. When you turn it back on and hit record -- you get that error.

The fix -- is to record a not-spanned clip before you turn off the camera.

So, for example, if I recorded a 20 minute interview, before turning the camera off I'd record a few seconds of something/anything.

If you forget this trick -- your only options are either A) use another card, or B) offload your data from the card and then format the card.

I've avoided this little glitch by having four of these cards -- if I forget -- I just put in another. But, if other cards aren't an option for whatever reason -- the trick above will stop this glitch.

Again, there's no data loss and this issue isn't specific to any settings ("patch"). It's just a pain in the ass -- and, luckily, the ONLY pain in the ass I've encountered with these cards.

• @thepalalias, @Zaven13, @liquidify,

Thanks for your thoughts. Actually I had the same problem with Sedna AQ 1. I did format my card a lot of times. And this is the fact - "it seems to happen when you stop a long recording with spanned files then try to start a new recording"! Al teast it happens with Sedna AQ1 and Mysteron.

Yes... format helps... but just to start recording from the beginning of the card. But what if you've got a lot of precious footage on your card already? You still have some space and WOW - Sorry, man...CANNOT RECORD...

I also never had this happen before with Orion or any other previous patches.

@driftwood, Nick, any thoughts on this issue?

• @onionbrain,

Thanks for your advice. I'll check it out. Strange... In case your advice works I'll have one question - am I the only one (after @onionbrain) who has found out this "fix precedure" only now?

• @MikhailK

Yes, it works.

No, it's been posted somewhere in this forum before.

• So, here a real comparison between Sedna A and Mysteron.

All two shot at ISO 400 with canon FD 17 at f 5.6. I have heavy saturated the images. I see much more macro blocking on Mysteron!

Sedna=68.000 Kbts/s

Mysteron=18000 Kbts/s!

Mysteron.png
    960 x 540 - 392K
    Sedna.png
    960 x 540 - 706K
  • @Kihlian Great test. Back to Sedna A...

• @Kihlian Sedna 50p and 25p is best and always has been. 60p and 60i / HBR is always the problem setting. Mysteron brings back high quality when the detail is there for the 60 modes but not so stressed on less quality. Not as much stress on 50 modes at all, but because of shared settings with 60 its had to take a hit. Nevertheless its not so bad for long recordings. :-)

The thing about Mysteron is; if detail is there, the i, p and B frames will begin to climb and more of the bitrate will be eaten out of the available sandwich. So its a fairly comfortable patch which should work on ALL settings. The 24p is summit else though... running Sedna very close and probably better on the noise levels with the analysed deblocking of i frames.

@MikhailK the workaround 'record small video after long one/or span on 65Gb card' has been known for months and is everywhere on personal-view.

• Sedna just kills my cards...and noise, ughhh.... it looks really nasty on my GH2 even 160ISO Here is RAW quick 3 clips shlepped together I did for work-(Science Instructor) no CC Log and Transfer Final Cut Sedna A --- First shot is H mode but it kept crashing on the 30mb sandisc other 2 were on L ..14-42 w/ND filter at I think F 5.6 or somewhere near the sweet spot.... I'M switching to mysteron tonight.

-NOTE this was just so she could show a colleague and NOT my actual edit obviously....

• @onionbrain,

Your advice works but now I've discovered a new glitch with the 64 gig 95 MBps Sandisk card. Al teast with my current Mysteron patch.

1. When this card is empty you can record 29m 59sec. But...even if your first record lasts only a few seconds and you stop recording then... then your next record starts right from the beginning!

So, you won't know how much space is left! Gh2 will tell you that you still have the same 29m 59sec left.

This glitch is discovered in 24H and 24L. All the same. Strange that 24L tells you that you have 29m 59sec left...

@onionbrain, @driftwood, I'm afraid that this thing has something to do with pToools 3.5d or the new patches (at least Mysteron).

• The record time related patch setting of pToools 3.5d can be set to any you like, I could have changed it, but everyone will probably set it to whatever they prefer. The safest 24p approach is probably 237 seconds - just under 4 min FAT limit before it makes new file. From my tests I recorded 2 x 4Gb 24p files, then a small recording, followed by 2 HBR recordings immediately followed by 12 minutes of 720p60 which I stopped manually. The new patch does need fully testing though by all span fans.

• @MikhailK

This is the new feature with 3.65d. I turned it off when I messed with "mysteron" and had no problems.

Go down to the red skull options (for testers, or whatever), and I believe it's the option at the very bottom.

I'm not certain I understand the logic of this new feature -- but -- these guys are the pros and they know what they're doing.

• @MikhailK Deselect the Recording Limit setting in “Patches for testers” > Extra in PTool 3.65, and you’re good to go. (Don’t forget to select the “30min limit removal” option if you have a European-market GH2.)

• @No_SuRReNDeR

It looks like you filmed that with Nostalgic, and your issue is with the blue "chroma" noise. Blue noise on nostalgic is a problem -- it handles blue worse than any other profile.

None of this relates to Sedna. Sedna neither fixes nor enhances the blue "chroma" noise issue.

Your options are to try Normal (or Vibrant, that slightly blurs the chroma channels, thus reducing the appearance of noise), or to use Neat Video on that clip -- and Neat Video should do an excellent job with that clip.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions