Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris

There is a huge difference between shooting a commercial with a different camera than what you are advertising and showing stills that you imply have come from one camera but they are actually from another camera. One is just marketing. The other is fraud.

• In terms of All-I bitrate in 7x mbps range, let us not forget that SMBU v1 did some very cool things with that, and they compare very, very favorably to the All-I mode on the 5DMarkIII.

And then let us think about how effective the stock 24H was on the GH2 vs 40-50 mbps hacked settings on the GH1.

Will the All-I mode be as good as we like? It remains to seen, but there is every reason to set the bar high based on what has already been done.

So I think the codec quality will meet or exceed SMBU v1, and if it does not, I will be disappointed and will voice that.

Now I get to wait and see what reality turns out like: fun or disappointing. :)

• it degrades the precision of the encoded color data, particularly in near-black shadow details.

And that quantisation starts in RAW even before the encoder gets hold of it but the encoder really does play favourites with the data and low luma loses out big time.

I am doing some examination of frame grabs in Avisynth using the histogram("luma") function to show how much high luma detail is being favoured over low luma detail by different patches. One thing I am noticing straight away is how much the GH2 AVCHD encoder puts all the data into highlights and abandons low luminance sections of the image. I think this makes sense when you have bitrates around ~20mbps because perceptually you will notice low luma areas less but now that we have the hacks and very high bitrates it is very annoying to see the encoder still throwing so much data into highlight detail that you can't even resolve while still starving out low luma regions.

@Rafa I think the choices Panansonic engineers made in the GH2 AVCHD encoder targeting high compression techniques to achieve nice looking low bitrate modes actually probably gutted its potential for higher IQ at high bitrates(with difficult material). I don't think it is a 8bit/10bit thing at all. Bluray movies look pretty damn good and they are 8bit 4:2:0. You don't need 10bit to achieve high IQ you just need a good encoder. I do blame the encoder because 170mbps of h264 should produce an immaculate picture everytime and it would if the patch makers had more access to the encoding engine.

Hopefully the encoder in the GH3 has been radically upgraded and we can haz access.

Time will tell.

• It's really premature to assume that 72mbps won't be enough. For one thing I think that the key will be how well the processing does it's job. I'm often reminded of how good the image from Sony FS100 looks despite not really having a very high bit rate. There's more to it than raw bit rate.

• @LPowell Great exposition on the problems of using flat profiles when you have just an 8b code. From 10b up makes sense, but with 8b in fact you are losing DR.

• @danyyyel

Yep...You are right....I see it, even on the 720p downloaded vid. I cycled it 13 to 15 sec and looked closely, its possible that the sun was in that area under the letters LU maybe...there is a slight blowout under the letter T too, but the rest of the clouds are fairly mellow, interesting.....it indicates a lot of light in those bright areas. (sun?)

The thing I dont understand is if this is a promo video, why is it soo crappy, I mean I have seen loads of 720p vids that are better than this on youtube, its like they compressed the ass out of it first, then uploaded and youtube compressed it even more. Its weird that a promo video would be this bad, probably the original shots are great but the end result is mangled...much more so than it need be, even on youtube.

• 72mbps is nice, but can it do 172? If it could I'd buy it.

• @Astro At 14 second when it writes lumix gh3 debut in big. Now I cannot judge a camera from some crappy youtube video, but I was just pointing it out.

• At this price range i'll accept any increase in DR that they can give. The GH3 looks like it's already going to give us so much more as a device that i'm not going to be too harsh on them if they don't give us a perfect camera. We're getting so greedy now when it comes to cameras and really after a slow start all of a sudden the cameras are coming fast and heavy with new improvements. Seems like Nikon, Sony and Pany are all in on this market.

• @RRRR

I meant in the Panasonic Video...

• @Astro

Hehehe :)

re: the canyon, what I think danyyyel was referrring to was the still where highlights were intentionally let go; the shot was exposed pretty brightly. IN my opinion that shot showed some promising highlight roll-off... But I won´t analyze this any more now. Time to let it go and wait.

• @kholi No I am pretty certain that thats definitely Imogen Heap, no one else has those eyebrows and jawline....plus the video is in her channel on youtube, and thats her.

@danyyyel Did you download the video in 720P from youtube?... You can with Netvideohunter in Firefox, anyway the quality is not great, but I did not see any blown out highlights in the clouds on the opening canyon shots that you mentioned a page ago. Maybe I am missing something, but I am used to treating/avoiding the blown out highlights in the GH2...and I did not see them in that canyon shot even tho the 720p version was pretty crappy overall in terms of compression.

• @kholi are you sure? I mean, how much would you bet on it?

• @RRRR

It's not her, just someone inspired by her. =P

• @svart For me DR was always the missing link. That is why I did a test on the gh2 vs 7d DR below.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1795/dynamic-range-test-between-gh2-and-7d/p2

For me everything has to reach a certain threshold. True 1080p for resolution, very good 800 Iso to good 1600 iso for low light and at least 12 stop of DR. Unfortunately until now, you see people just focusing on resolution and low light. If a camera is not 4k or is not noise less above 1600 iso they go mental. What I am happy now is that general Joe is seeing the importance of DR (thus putting pressure on manufacturers). Perhaps because it was the last missing link after resolution, lSO, sensor size to achieve the film look. For me (photographer) DR is like matter, the more you have it (untill a certain level), the more your files have that richness (difficult for my English to explain).

Now everything has a threshold, once you reach it, it is just marginal gain. When the day we reach about 14 stop I think it will be a threshold (12 is still very good). Using a d800, I would call it near human vision and over and above it would start to get cumbersome because the image will absolutely need a lot of grading.

• @Kholi Having high DR is fine, but the way people plug on about how they aren't going to buy the GH3 unless it has XX stops of DR isn't constructive. What ever happened to buying something because it just looked good? I think too many people confuse technical specs with actual quality. While one can be used to describe the other, they are still two different things. And ARRI was definitely going for a film replacement with Alexa and DR is definitely part of that, but the roll-offs are much more important. As Lpowell mentions, the roll-offs are logarithmic in film and the eye and in CMOS they are linear. That's why you can technically have 12 stops of DR in both digital and film and it'd still look like digital and film, because the roll-off in one is linear and the other is log.

• The only thing that really annoys me about the music is that I can´t remember who it is... I know, but can´t remember the name. Aargh!

Strike that: I solved it!

Im pretty certain it´s imogen heap:

• @Soup

No, I liked it too.

And I love that the video opens with 'fuck off'.

• Am i the only one who liked the music in that vid?

• Yeah, they could never set that shot up again with another camera. NM.

• The GH3 is clearly stuck to the hood of the car in the pic link below, however, it looks to me like a G5 might also be stuck onto the trunk. If you look closely it appears to be the silver version with a black grip (though it could also be a sunlight reflection I suppose). I wonder if a G5 was also used in the wide interior shot that shows a bit of blowout on the face/sky when shooting up from the dash, it just looks way too different to be the same camera. I think the graded outdoor shots look fantastic, with very nice highlight roll off. The train shoot looks like it was either graded to make highlights pop or was ETTR. Cannot wait to pre-order this little beast, Panny did exactly what I was hoping they would do to improve upon the GH2 - Make a more solid pro level of chassis, boost DR, add higher 1080 frame rates and a better bit rate right out of the box. This is all very encouraging. Can't wait to see what the remaining surprises will be.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/Bildschirmfoto2012-09-14um133839-1.png

• @svart @kholi

Hollywood lighting techniques were perfected in the film era and are optimized to make the most of the physical properties of film media. Digital image sensors differ from film in at least two important ways:

• Film responds logarithmically to light as does the human eye; image sensors respond linearly.

• Film preserves color data in analog detail; image sensors are digitized with coarse quantization.

The RGBG photocells in the GH2's image sensor are digitized to 12-bit precision in the camera's RAW still photo files. As with all digital sensors, this linear 12-bit range must be scaled by a logarithmic gamma curve to make the results look natural to the human eye. Image editors that work directly with RAW color data allow you to manipulate the dynamic range and color balance of the image in its original linear data format, before it's converted into a lower-precision format with a gamma curve that suits the human eye. This can produce image quality that rivals analog film.

With JPEG and AVCHD encoding, the GH2's 12-bit RAW data is remapped by the Film Mode's gamma curve and compressed down to 8-bit 4:2:0 color depth. While this does not reduce the camera's dynamic range, it degrades the precision of the encoded color data, particularly in near-black shadow details. Image editors that work with 8-bit color data are limited in the extent they can manipulate the dynamic range and color balance of the image without producing unsightly banding and digital quantization effects.

The "flat" gamma profiles that are popular with high-end cinema cameras produce high-quality results only so long as the image sensor's color data is preserved at near-RAW precision levels. If you attempt to mimic these low-contrast profiles on an 8-bit 4:2:0 camera like the GH2, its low-precision quantization will produce lower quality results than profiles that make use of the full dynamic range of the image sensor. That is the brutal reality of 8-bit color spaces.

There is one case, however, where reducing the dynamic range of a GH2 video can improve image quality. If you use fill lights to illuminate the shadows, you can boost the level of the darkest details above the coarsely quantized bottom end of the histogram. That will enable the AVCHD encoder to digitize shadow details with far better precision, and post-production grading will reveal much less noise and banding in the shadows. Using fill lighting in this way mimics the ability of cinema cameras to lift the pedestal of their gamma curves and flatten the DR of the recording. Since the GH2 lacks a pedestal adjustment, fill lighting is the best way to achieve this effect.

• @vicharris Oh, I have no doubt that sort of thing goes on. I just think in this case the footage (at least the video clips at the end) is actually from this camera, for a number of reasons. We'll see when they release the short film and accompanying footage, though!

In contrast to the Nex 7 video you were in (or the Nokia IS demo video), I believe this was genuinely shot with the A99:

• @Cde My last comment was more directed towards the thoughts that no company would do such a thing. That's just plain silly to think that way. I've seen footage shot on a red and messed with in post to look like a less cameras footage. You never know what happens when they film these things. OS not 100%, camera failure. I've seen it. We'll see when the finised version comes out. I've seen many industry professionals fooled by this. Not saying it's cool, just saying.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions