Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • All other wishes as above + 1. metal (sturdy) body ... 2. headphone jack 3. DC jack, no funky DC couplers ... 4. Remote control similar to Lanc ...

• How about a couple of really simple things like:

A registration pin receptacle on the mounting screw.

USB mode for tethered stills shooting and processing.

• Focus zoom while outputting to HDMI

• +2 on focus peaking

• canon/nikon like eyecup holder
    • live audio output jack
    • 1080p24 1080p60 720p120
    • hdmi output for all video modes
    • 13 stops DR from raw photos
    • 11 stops DR from video frames
    • programmable s-curve
    • custom profile… like canon’s.
    • disable digital sharpening at the lowest setting
    • separate codec parameters per each video mode
    • no weather-proof
    • wireless TTL
    • yes focus peaking
    • electronic control port for focusing and zooming
    • body price under $1K
    • better menu design
    • afs is afs. afc is afc. duh
  • My wishlist:

• Good body price, option with no EVF and screen (GH3 CE)
    • 1080p60, 1080p50
    • Improved sensor with white filters, 14 stops DR
    • Consumer oriented, not pro oriented camera interface
    • Focus peaking, realtime RGB histogram with RAW based mod
    • 24Mbit top bitrate for any mode, no internal camera settings

But

• Wi-Fi direct with special application available for Win, Mac OSX, Android iOS
    • Application must allow 1080p live feed with feature set identical to UltraScope
    • Wi-Fi 802.11ac high speed mode option
    • Applications allow tune every aspect of internal image processing using nodes
      This includes curves, sharpening matrixes, color LUTs, etc
    • You could also tune any encoder parameters
    • Working with global and local profiles that can be loaded and stored on external storage
    • Ability to remotely capture stills and video footage (up to 100Mbit only)
  • @DouglasHorn "How about a couple of really simple things like: A registration pin receptacle on the mounting screw."

Yeah no doubt I think that was my first WTF? moment.

• @stonebat - why the backlash against weather sealing? I can think of a lot of situations where it would have been really beneficial for me and none where it would have hurt. Losing the articulated screen is a small step back in usability, but it could be mitigated in most circumstances by allowing an offboard HDMI screen in any still or video mode.

Add to my wish list:

• Allowing offboard HDMI screen in full quality in any video mode
    • Fix the video record gamma shift
    • More unique clip filenames than Clip #1 - like Canon. (This would be easily implemented and extremely useful.)

• What the heck -- accept timecode

• +1 for built-in timelapse capabilities with electronic shutter. 50/60p would be also nice, and I think we are likely to see that. I'd like to see ND filters, too, but I doubt it's gonna happen.

As for RAW, 444, AVC intra etc, come on guys, that's all just a mere percent in perceived image quality. Don't be fooled with figures. If that comes - which I doubt - with the SAME sensor that'd be an illusion of progress. Real headway means PHYSICAL improvements first and foremost. Better sensitivity, lower noise, more dynamic range. Less rolling shutter would be highly appreciated, too. But since that's a wishful thinking topic...

Holy Global Shutter! I summon thee, descend on us in thy glory!

• Firmware SDK.

• @douglashorn

I don't have weather proof lenses. And the weather proof feature will raise the body price.

• This is the stills camera with video strapped on, Gh3, yes?

• Nice wishlists. This is what I think we'll likely see:

• Headphone jack
    • 1080/60P

Bit more unlikely, but still possible:

• Usable LCD (Higher resolution and/or focus peaking)
  • Better low light performance without the red banding on the GH2. 720p 120 would be icing on the cake.

• I love the gh2 but after playing with a Nex 5n I see some things that need to be added, like focus peaking, better low light and 60p (60p is the sole reason I got a Nex 5n for slow motion stuff).. The 5n lacks in areas also like no mic input, and the screen only goes up or down.. no flip out. 422 would be awesome, I'd upgrade in a heart beat if the gh3 added 422, focus peaking, 60p and better low light.

As for the camera body, its about as small as I'd like to see it get, I'd actually like it a bit larger for grip ability.. but the trend seems to be making the camera body basically a lens caps now.

• Realistic wishes: 1080p60, High Quality HDMI Output, Slightly Better IQ, Custom Picture Profiles

• I also want an option for a user to choose between fast yet noisy and silent but slow autofocus. For instance, 20mm panacake is quite fast but very noisy in live-view mode. But when I actually push record button it is now optimized for silent performance at a cost of becoming sssslllloooow. There are plenty of shooting situations (a concert for example where I get my audio from mixing console) where I don't care about focusing noise but need the fastest performance instead.

Also there is a time lag between when I tap the touchscreen and when the camera starts to refocus whereas half-pressing shutter button refocuses instantly. I need one-tap - immediate refocus mode. Shutter button is kinky as accidentally pressing it too hard stops recording and for reportage genres one-tap fast and immediate refocus is a must.

• The news are unfortunatly not runing so high

• The news are unfortunatly not runing so high

Do not worry. Global shutter in GH2, and later GH3 was just favourite idea of Andrea (43rumors author).
    He likes it :-) So, "global shutter definitely will be in GHx" and "glabal shutter unfortunately won't be present in GHx" will be constant quests on 43rumors in the years to come :-)

• How much is this cam going to cost? I am putting a certain expectation with it for reason to upgrade. The MkII to MkIII upgrade is a good example of not upgrading. It needs to be worth it.

1080p/60, 720p/120.... 10bit: 422 Better Lowlight. Better DR.

If its going to be weather-sealed, then Panny is looking at this cam beyond 'Consumer'. So, we can expect 'more' then. We have to also consider the new BM cam. People will look at how much more you get with that $3K. I don't think Panny can go too high with this cam if they don't unleash the features.

• @pvjames

I think we will see it for around $1500 and the only important new features will be 60fps, weather sealed and better image processing.

• clean 23.98 1080p hdmi
    oled viewfinder

• Interestingly, Focus Peaking, and a log like profile, would cost nothing implement. without 1080/60p I don't imagine many people upgrading from GH-2? 720p/120 would be cool. DR is nice, but I wish someone would copy Alexa in the highlight roll-off. I'm not as concerned with shadow DR, since most likely you will crush the blacks any way. But to my eye, the highlight roll off with yellowish fringe to white, is the tell tale of a video camera. What gives a film look is the subdued highlight. TV manufacturers, like to pump the contrast and saturation up to prove to the masses they have high quality. Like have a huge 12" base speaker in your trunk. It's loud but is it quality sound?

• Interestingly, Focus Peaking, and a log like profile, would cost nothing implement. without 1080/60p I don't imagine many people upgrading from GH-2?

First, no one cares about small bunch of amateur filmmakers :-) They'll be fine with new casual users.
    As for peaking, it still can be done properly. Looking at various pro monitors I highly doubt claims about how easy it is to implement.
    No ordinary customer want log profiles really, as no one of them intend to grade it later.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions