Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @artardi Agreed. Your "HDR fix" is interesting. Was this done in post? If not, I am also like @thepalalias very interested. This guy almost looks like he was hand drawn.

• Hi @Driftwood and @onionbrain,   Turning back to the question of an appropriate Picture Profile. Guys, if you remember, our "Low Gop" threads were actually born for taking out as much as we can out of GH2 in order to get a maximum image quality (especially in terms image details). Though we all realize we can't make GH2 to have 4:2:2, but the latest Nick's setting have gone to far already. So now we're pretty close to get the RED's quality. Some say GH2 has already beaten RED in terms of image details.       I mean that I did like the tests done by @onionbrain. But from my personal view it's not right when we say that Vibrant is a winner or we should use Standard. What I mean is even you, Nick, told us before that your favourite image Picture Prof was Nostalgic. I'm sure that you chose it because it has the BEST dynamic range this camera can give. This profile is my favourite as well. Yes, Nostalgic has the BEST dynamic range "with an ass-load of noise". But...think, guys. The amount of details is astonishing (especially with Nick's latest patches). Red chanell is pretty good. Even Standard can't do the same. And I'm not even talking about Vibrant, which is TOO saturated and TOO dark (even if you set contrast or color to -2). And even if you try to increase/decrease brightness/contrast or make a color graiding in Post, you won't be able to restore details that you lost during the shooting. Some of you will say that Nostalgic is too unsaturated, but why don't we use color grading later on?   All what I said is my personal view. So I'm not trying to thrust someone's opinion.   Nick, guys, maybe we should try to move Sedna (or next patches) in the Nostalgic way and try to get rid of the yellow tint and the blue channel problems?     Thanks.   Mikhail

• @thepalalias sorry u r right is just a kind of tone mapping.

• @liquidify yes was done in post with photoshop frame by frame.

• Hello there, this is my first post here. Just a few word to thanks Vitaliy and all others that are contributing to make the GH2 such an incredible little camera.

I tested the Orion v4d 2 days ago, and I was able to record 24 minutes with no interruptions. The camera spanned for this entire duration: one still shot -2-2-2-2 but with very few details (one candle in the dark lighting two girls chatting).

Thanks for the hard work!

• @MikhailK Hi, of our tests on latest patches (Orion 4b and 4d dark matrix v3) the profile with best latitude that is better suited for Resolve post and large screens projections still is Smooth -2-2-2-2 at 320. We actually didn't notice much of difference between -2.0.0.-2. That was the profile setup that, in our tests, was closer to a neutral kodak film. Frames reminds more of a 160nc more than the Fuji h.

• Well in the spirit of sharing vids while we anticipate further amazing work from Driftwood, I thought I'd add mine.

V4b Orion

• @terry2 Which lens did you base your tests on? There's wildly different results between native, legacy and cine primes.

• gf2 driftwood hack anamorphic on Vimeo!

sankor 16c Orion v4d

• @itimjim Zeiss lenses, CP2 (rented) and Duclos Zeiss (owned).

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 11.21.05 AM.png
    1919 x 1077 - 2M
  • @itimjim twilight shots in 640

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 11.18.00 AM.png
    1919 x 1078 - 2M
  • @itimjim none is graded, these are screenshots of the original footage.

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 11.18.27 AM.png
    1919 x 1076 - 2M
  • @Sulph: it spanned? Which SD card did you use?

• @MikhailK "Some say GH2 has already beaten RED in terms of image details"... I wouldn't go That far... Red does a cropped 2k against a downsample of the gh2... so it's a good war... But as latitude we are not that near, I don't know if it's the raw factor or the sensor or both. Now, if the gh2 was outputting a real 10bit that would be different (also, if I'm not wrong, there is the "real lines" thing). I'd say that on a big screen It'd be difficult to see the difference between something shot at 2k on a Scarlet and 1080p on a gh2 (both with same lens). AT the end of the day, film laser print is around 1800pixels wide at the most (if I'm not wrong).

• Yes sir_danish, it spanned. I was using a 32 Gb Sandisk Extreme 30MB bought 1 year ago on Amazon.

• @terry2, I agree with your thoughts on RED. Sure it's about 4k to 28k and not 1080p. But when people, who used RED, tried to downscale some 4k footage to 1080p, it was very hard to notice any difference on the image quality between GH2 and RED. Ok, let's leave this subject with RED.

What do you or other guys think about my thoughts on Nostalgic?

• @Sulph: Weird. I use two Sandisk 64GB 95mb/s cards, but no spanning here. Anyway, that doesn´t really matter.

• @MikhailK Look at the screenshots I've posted and references. So far, it looks like the solution to have "everything" recorder and flat to be later graded still is smooth -2-2-2-2 (at least with our lenses Zeiss). But if anyone has better infos is super very welcome.

• @mikhailk I'm in agreement regarding the maximizing of one patch specifically for the nostalgic profile

• @terry2 I know kholi uses Zeiss lenses and he was starting to recomend the standard and cinema profile.

• Used Cluster v1, in my super slow motion test 720p/50fps

• @Greek_m43 Did You shoot with manual or auto with all tv background behind? It so impressed to me.

• @terry2 @mikhailk Just a quick note before we leave the RED topic. I mentioned this in another thread once before, but to get the most direct comparison between RED and GH2 sensors, take a 2K RED crop vs GH2 in EX mode1080P. The frame size will be a few pixels different, but both will be 1 to 1 at the pixel level as opposed to rescaled.

• Heh, I blew up my van with Quantum v4b:

• @Halvalla ha, like it.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions