Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @hawk312 this is a known issue with the gh2. when using the indoor lights preset (3200kelvin) this will be a lot less. When grading watch out for the red curve it can throw in a lot of poop. For outdoor shooting some people shoot with 3200kelvin and readjust the color temp in post. Some talk about 85% less problems in the red gamma. Also Underexposed areas suffer the most =) hope i helped!

• @klem007 Yes, not aware of it, I've clipped the RED channel many times. There's something going on here.

I need to find the time to get back to some testing. I've been buried in work and also a music project.

I'd like to give this whole noise discussion a good rogering with some controlled tests.

• @pop24 Did you use Neat video or similar in postpo? Is very very clean images. What settings did you use?

• @driftwood cinema all -2??? u prefer cinema over smooth??? never tried before tried only smooth and nost all -2,....i think i missed one,.. ;(

• @driftwood which is the best profile setting,...why we keep noise reduction -2 all the time? is it useful or necessary to keep noise reduction filter to -2 even in higher iso?????

• In camera noise reduction is cheap and kills details. With the high bitrates possible today much better results with denoise in post.

• @stray thank you, I check out if I found a thread about editing, I hope I can get my workflow going and be able to contribute with something helpful here. I will keep following this thread also, I am very interested in Driftwood settings and anything I can learn from this. Best luck to all of you.

• Driftwood. For class 10 You Don't have nothing ?ALL PRESENT DRIFTWOOD SETTINGS are for extreme memory card? I tried v5b Hybrid Matrix and 25p HBR freez my camera .

• So... does the camera work better with a 3200ºk bw? should i always shoot like that and use a 85 filter outside?

i thought it would be the other way around just to get rid of IR polution..

• Gonna take either Pictoris or Orion to the Cebit tomorrow and the day after. I bet that'll be interesting.

• @Rammstein Pictoris v5d, I guess, I use the VBR version. All my cards work with all settings and I'm very happy :-) It should work for you also.

• From the tests I've seen posten on vimeo the Dark matter V3 is the one that gives the least ammount of "blue noise" in the image. Is this patch usable outdoors in bright light or is this one made for only low light situations?

• @Giovassi @Rammstein I have SanDisk Extreme HD VIDEO 30MB/s 16gb Class 10, tryed the Quantum X (v4d Orion) CBR with 'Dark Matter v3' Matrix, in 25p HBR camera freez, have to remove battery..

• @Kihlian I tried the same card (which I have in my vast collection now!) and tested HBR 25p without problems. Check your install procedure first. See stages 1 to 8 on page one of this thread and check ptools, check you havent accidentally overwritten your panasonic v1.11 firmware, check the settings. Finally, some cards of the same make and model are genuine/made to the calibre... some are not.

• @Driftwood I found your choice of picture profile quite interesting! I also like Nostalgic but some say that it gives a yellow cast over the image... What are your toughts about it? Do you find it the best setting combined with your patch?

• @Meierhans thank you for the info,.. then why we shoot all into -2?? same reason recently i started shooting in +2 sharpness thats just because of the orion v4b and its capability,....we reached far most i feel,..a boon for budget film makers,..the new intra matrix orion v4b,.. nost -2 is very nice,.... what u think?? did u tried v4d??

• Hello, I just tried v4c with 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro. GH2 stops recording randomly (27 seconds, 160 seconds) in 24P mode (files show 144kbps). In HBR mode no problem, bit rate is 74kbps. Does this excellent patch require 90MB/s Sandisk for 24P? Thank you...

• Quantum X v4 Orion test that I posted yesterday ( above ) I used a 16 gig, 30md Sandisk Extreme Class 10 had zero problems. I use SDFormatter V 3.0.0. once completed then I put back in camera and format there as well, takes about 3 seconds to do both. No problems, and yeah I can see playback in camera monitor.

• Here's a commercial I made with v4b Orion constant bitrate. I used Samyang 35mm 1.4 and my camera settings was -2+2+2-1

• @BillC My last test used short clips but after 10 seconds, none of the following cards had given me any trouble in 50p SH mode (while Span... V1 had trouble on many of them in 6 or 7 seconds).

Transcend Class 6 32GB Blue. Transcend Class 10 32GB Black. Transcend 64 GB SDXC Black. Delkin Elite 633x UHS-1 16GB.

4b, 4c dm1, 4c dm2, 4c dm3.

• @davidhjlindberg, looks great! Nice and crisp, great colors too. What profile were you using? Did you transcode with 5DtoRGB and do any grading before editing?

• @Oedipax Thanks! I was using Nostalgic. Forgot to mention that... Nope, I think 5DtoRB can only transcode single files, and not groups, right? And if that's true it would take too long time.

• The paid version does batches - I was mostly asking though just from a workflow standpoint. The clips feel like they had a lot of latitude in the shadows while still be well-exposed for the white snow, so I was wondering.

• @paglez general i use neat video at 3200 iso. i use one denoise profile for all my videos.

• dark matter v3 nostalgic -2-2-2-2 another grading test. This time i pushed the footage pretty far. Love the details kept in the image!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions