Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • @bkmcwd, REF: "GOP3ZILLA + sednaAQ1A + Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2" --- My set-up - GH2, sandisk 64gb 95mb/s sdxc card.

The hack picture wise is performing very well with great picture quality and a decent 'documentary' recording length. It is spanning in HBR PAL mode. In 720p SH mode is doesn't span. EX tele mode seems fine but only tried in HBR mode.

@thepalalias, I don't think the audio patch is working properly. It's very noisy a lot of background hiss that is even visible on the meters.

Thank you.

• @edgenumbers What mic level? What environment? What mic? How many bars on the meters?

• @thepalalias,

-What mic level? ALL- -What environment? Quiet living room- -What mic? Camera's internal- -How many bars on the meters? 1-

Thanks,

• One is still in the normal range for that. The meters have been changed. The lowest noise level ever possible on the camera (so far) is -72dBFS. The first bar lights up at -66dBFS. If you had two bars in that environment on mic level 1, that would indicate an unusual noise level.

However, if you want to make two recordings at Mic Level 1 in the same environment (1 with the patch and one without) I would be happy to see if you are experiencing something unusual. That issue has not shown up for the other testers so far (quite the opposite) so I would like to see what you are experiencing.

• @thepalalias, Appreciated. I'll do some more testing. These combined settings are very new to me.

• @edgenumbers Understandable. Good luck!

By the way, 1 bar on the old meter was somewhere over -30dB so that's equivalent to between 3 bars (-36dBFS) and 4 bars (-24dBFS) lit up on the new meters.

If your noise level ever gets to 4 bars, you'll definitely want to change something before you record. :)

• @bkmcwd Really Enjoying "GOP3ZILLA + sednaAQ1A + Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2" ! It is reliable and still retains a lot of quality while giving more record time. Thanks for the patch, I will be sticking with this one for now.

• GOP3ZILLA + sednaAQ1A + Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2:HBR NTSC: I set the camera on my dash board and drove for a while,it spanned successfully looked very good, got about 12 minutes/file. Liking it so far, shooting a night in the city shot tonight; we'll see how she does in the dark

• @bkmcwd

checked GOLGOP3 with Sedna A matrix again. Attached Streamparser grabs from a death chart (static, of course). B-frames show an uneven cadence. In comparision GOLGOP3 4.2 produces a very even cadence on the same chart. Too, in HBR mode GOLGOP3 4.2 produces I-frames around 930K average size.

Just FYI ...

golgop3_SednaA_24H_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 46K
    golgop3_SednaA_HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 43K
  • @towi I guess to get sedna to work with these, and produce even cadence on death charts, the initial quantiser will have to be put up a bit, or maybe lengthen the gop itself (this is an odd idea, and I've no idea why I'm having it, I guess I miss the 'maximum image quality' thread ;)), both of these solutions would defeat the point of golgop. Guessing this by the way sedna slices things so finely and what @driftwood has said about the matrix in relation to quantiser settings. I think I've had some odd colour issues with Sedna A AQ1 today in deep blues (nothing too major but they seem to um.. drift), no problems with the HQ matrix on Golgop as of yet, apart from the unreliability of HBR.

• @Stray

"no problems with the HQ matrix on Golgop as of yet, apart from the unreliability of HBR"

too bad... I'd love to use the HQ matrix on GOLGOP3. But I really need 25p ...

What I do like about the HQ matrix is it is quite sharp without beeing harsh and at the same time it shows less flickering on fine edges than the stock matrix with motion.

Maybe bkmcwd can make a stable GOLGOP version with the HQ matrix? :-)

• "Maybe bkmcwd can make a stable GOLGOP version with the HQ matrix? :-)"

Indeed, but I think that would basically be gopzilla. I'm going to try and make an oldschool long gop low bitrate setting with the HQ matrix, so I'll be gone for a while.

• @Stray

"I'm going to try and make an oldschool long gop low bitrate setting with the HQ matrix"

check this one (GOP=9 for PAL & 24p/ GOP=18 for NTSC): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/45726#Comment_45726

• cheers will do.

• Original clip color correct with vegas pro

• @ all

I am sorry that my reply is late.

@royfel

Thanks for feedback! :-)

If my settings fit HBR, I inquire more.

@edgenumbers

Thanks for feedback! :-)

Is it better to have enabled it to also span 720p? However, I think that the B frame becomes quite small.

@leejb4

I will be glad if I have you be pleasing. :-)

@towi @Stray

Thanks for feedback, mate! :-)

"Maybe bkmcwd can make a stable GOLGOP version with the HQ matrix? :-)"

Probably I can do it.

Simultaneously, shall I combine SednaAQ1A also with GOLGOP3-13? I do not understand the difference in each matrix yet. Therefore, my being able to do it is only stabilizing the set together with a matrix. For me, the thread of Nick is too quick to follow in a flow. :-(

If some matrices are combined even if it gives up low qp which can be used, what kind of merit is there concretely? How can I even understand it?

• @Stray @towi

I have the point at which I am wondering about the matrix. The B frame becomes quite large in spite of being qp which is not so low, when a custom-made matrix is combined. On the other hand, when not having combined, it is low qp and the size of the B frame is also stopped. How is the difference in this B frame considered? Which is good?

• @bkmcwd you know, I 've no idea really. The fact that B-Frames can seem to get quite large with these matrixes even on static shots does concern me. However, I guess as the matrix is cutting things finer, so this could be a good thing, and we're getting more out of B-Frames (in terms of motion/differences) than we ever did with the stock matrix. So, as @driftwood said you get more out of a higher qp value with these matrixes I would reckon that its a good thing (if I'm right about what he's saying and why he pushes the q20 versions over the AQ1 as being good enough). Its a question for him really, @driftwood ? Maybe we need different matrix values for P and B frames.

• @Stray

Thanks for your reply. :-)

"I guess as the matrix is cutting things finer, so this could be a good thing, and we're getting more out of B-Frames (in terms of motion/differences) than we ever did with the stock matrix."

Yes, I also guess as you do.

"Its a question for him really, @driftwood ?"

Indeed. And I also looked the what he said about q20 and AQ1. I think this situation is for INTRA settings. For 3GOP, probably we can use lower Q setting, I think.

"Maybe we need different matrix values for P and B frames."

I got it. I can do only stabilize the setting with custom matrix. At first, I try to do with SednaAQ1A and HQ matrix.

Thanks again, mate.

• @bkmcwd, I think you are right there is no need for 720p to span. Do you think this combo setting is as good as it can get or does it need tweaking?

• @edgenumbers

" Do you think this combo setting is as good as it can get or does it need tweaking?"

Honestly, I am not sure. Much more tests are required. However, since this is not bad, if some problems occur while using, it should be then solved. :-)

• Is there a way to get the info back from the bin file?
    I am trying to get my own patch, and it was on the good way.
    But some how i did make a mistake and saved in the wrong ini file, things are total messed up now.
    I am more than a week fucking around to get those settings back, but it dont work anymore.
    Ad least, not the way it was before, there is one setting that i dont remember, $$$$$!@!

I even got V-Frames ad the moment.

But i have still the saved GH2__V12.bin, sadly enough, i cant open it in ptools :(

v-frame.png
    1297 x 683 - 141K
    v-frame streamparser.png
    746 x 398 - 122K
  • @bkmcwd Shot with GOP3ZILLA with the sedna matrix today (just a family day out). Very impressive results, I'm quite amazed. I only shot in 24H though. Anyone else tried this setting ?

• i'm digging the GOP3Zilla-Sedna-Pulse settings as well. only basic test across the board, but rather solid so far. really wanted to have good/awesome 24/HBR/60 modes. Cake 2.0 was giving me rather odd behaviour in shadows/dark spaces but it was rather impressive otherwise, too. have to play more outside then perhaps share something...

• @Stray

Thanks mate! :-)

I am making the GOLGOP3-13 version now, and it had almost been done.

"Anyone else tried this setting ?"

Users of my settings are always silent. ;-)