Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1, GF1, G2: Reliable In-Camera Playback Settings- Version 2
  • Reliable In-Camera Playback Settings - updated for PTool 3.55d

As you've no doubt heard, the latest version of PTool 3.55d liberates all previously unhackable versions of GH1 and GF1 cameras. In addition, it provides several new patches that I've been able to incorporate into the Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch, making it more versatile than ever.

To make use of these new features, download PTool 3.55d from the following link:

https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

Version 2 of the Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch supports the following features:

* Works on all Panasonic GH1 and GF1 cameras, both hacked and unhacked.

* Switchable between NTSC and PAL modes, in all interface languages.

* No 30-minute AVCHD time limit, all compatible batteries supported.

* In-camera playback available in all video modes.

* 40Mbps FHD mode - AVCHD 1920x1080 24p/25p video (interlaced)

* 40Mbps SH mode - AVCHD 1280x720 50p/60p video (progressive)

* 35Mbps HD mode - MJPEG 1280x720 30p video in 4:2:2 color

* 30Mbps VGA mode - MJPEG 960x720 30p video (iPad-compatible)

Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch Settings File:

This zipped INI file can be used to apply complete patch settings to firmware loaded into PTool 3.55d. To use, unzip the INI file into the same folder as the PTool application. Launch PTool and load the firmware for GH1 v1.32 or GF1 v1.22. The settings contained in the INI file will automatically be installed in the "J" button at the bottom of the PTool main window.

Note that with the following PTool Settings File, you may at any time re-install the original Panasonic GH1 v1.32 or GF1 v1.22 firmware into the appropriate camera model. You may also copy each type of patched or original firmware to separate SD cards, and use them to quickly switch between patches as often as you like.
    LPowell - Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch v2.zip
    624B
  • 54 Replies sorted by
  • Iam not able to play back in camera when the bitrate spikes (I think). Is this just the speed of my SD card?

• One more thing I noticed that MJPEG mode seemed to have much less rolling shutter? Is this because of this patch or is this a codec function? I have never experienced this before if anyone has a rational explanation I would be delighted. Definitely sticking with mjpeg mode but anything above 400 ISO gives a lot of noise, even 400 is noisey. Thanks got I have a focal reducer/speedbooster on its way.

• Sorry to rehash an old thread. This preset is very nice thank you very much the gf1 is a nice little camera but loe most panasonics I stay on a low ISO for a nice crisp image with little noise. Just need a fast lens. I wondered if there is much point and will I keep play back in camera if I switch mjpeg mode to 1920x1080? Or will it not improve image quality over what we have here which is a little over 720?

• I try t5 moon on gf2 cards with 4GB sandisk class10 and the image is well detailed, more clearly, the flow varies depending on the lens used I got some error because of writing cards, but I think the quality was great

• thanks for your fast reply Lpowell.

In fact, i have 3 GF1. 2 are hacked (both Reliable v2 and gop3 v2, and the last is not hacked).

• @krixoff Unlike the GH1, the GF1 lacks 1080p24 FHD mode and only records at 30fps in 720p60 SH mode. No hack can give the GF1 these capabilities. It's still a very capable camera, however, and I recommend using it with my Fast Action 3-Frame GOP patch:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/223/gh1-gf1-g2-fast-action-3-frame-gop-patch-version-2-#Item_20

• Hello,

i want to thank Lpowell for your patch.

But i got some issues.

i can't see AVCHD FHD option in my GF1. I have only SH, H and L.

i can see in your first post description:

• In-camera playback available in all video modes.

• 40Mbps FHD mode - AVCHD 1920x1080 24p/25p video (interlaced)

• 40Mbps SH mode - AVCHD 1280x720 50p/60p video (progressive)

This patch should add AVCHD FHD mode. I can't see it in my quick menu or menu option both of my GF1. Why?

And i would like to make some slow motion video. WHat's better? this Reliable In-Camera v2 or Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch. And what video mode should i use for that? i heard 720p60 if that 's possible (only with Reliable In-Camera because of doubles frames?)

Thanks in advance

krixoff

• @LPowell: First of all thank you for your work. Are there any differences between the first version of the Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch and Version 2? Which are the differences? Is it useful to update? Was version 1 native 25? I am using Pal. Thank you

• I just discovered that if you use the Reliable In-Camera Playback in a GH1 then run the footage through Neoscene to convert it to 4:2:2 the audio is not in the resulting .avi file. The audio is present before processing with Neoscene and plays back in the camera. With a stock GH1 the audio is present in after processing with Neoscene. Do you think a setting can be changed in Ptool to allow the audio to work after Neoscene?

• Here is an verry good patch by LPowell working on GF1 : http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/34560#Comment_34560

108 Mb/s en avchd!

Don't forget check "manual movie modes"

Thanks LPowell!

• @Anentropic Sorry, the hack can't make the GF1 do what GF1's can't do.

• just re the batteries, I'm asking because here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004VXAUO8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1) it sounds like the GF2 is more fussy than newer G3 about 3rd party batteries and wonder if that's what the description of the patch refers to.

• what does it mean "all compatible batteries supported" ? can display the juice remaining of 3rd party batteries?

• Does this mean with this hack the GF1 can do 1080/24P (or 25p) @ 40mbps ?

Or some modes from the hack are GH1 only?

• AVCHD and MJPEG have little to do with one another. AVCHD is the latest generation of inter frame video compression while MJPEG is a codec based on a photo compression codec that is almost 20 years old. That's why AVCHD can do much better than MJPEG while at the same time getting bitrates that are orders of magnitude smaller.

• I've just discovered that GF1 records pretty well on ISO <=640. Above it, there are lots noise. But I still don't know why all my videos have <16Mbps bitrate in AVCHD. The same scene in MJPEG has full 45Mbps, Canon 550D also similar.

• Try AVCHD

• I don't get it. I've read a lot of good opinions that GF1 records pretty nice after hack. But what I see is a piece of crap (sorry). http://cl.ly/1A2S3I202L3M1j0I2y0d Up: image, down: video, ISO:1250, MJPEG, 45Mbps. What can I do to improve quality? I thought GF1 (after hack ofc) is only slightly worse than Canon 550D on 720p. But the difference is huge.

• Any ideas what's going on?

• Unfortunately bitrate is still low even on highly detailed scenes. What is interesting, maximum overall bitrate is 54Mbps. http://cl.ly/3x10203K462n1e1M2O13

• I'll try tomorrow in daylight (now it's night in here :P). I'm a little bit confused because GF1 produces lots noise even on ISO400, so I thought that it's bitrate problem.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Good catch, I fixed it. Guess you can see what I've been obsessed with lately!

• @LPowell

You meant GF1 :-) Not GH2.

• @Kozbi Try some test videos of dense shrubbery and see if bitrate doesn't increase. The GH2's AVCHD encoder will produce high bitrates only on well-lit, highly detailed, sharp-focus subjects.

• It changes nothing. SH videos have still about 13500000.