Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • I just want an option to disable the whole fu... touchscreen. It sucks! I don´t want it. My GH1 don´t had it and I never missed anything. Now I often accidently touch the screen when filmen and something weird happens. For me it is witless.
  • @domino Or do you mean software?
  • @Dom
    Are you sure you're focused? Are you trying to manual focus? Is the focus hunting?
  • Hello
    First excuse my poor english
    I am an old man and I try to use a GH2 as a film camera. So is it any body to help me to change the soft of my camera?
    I am OK to pay the new soft
  • @Mark_the_Harp Sorry, I just noticed your question. Not exactly, but likely uses similar technology...what happens is that you set a time frame for a clip, 2min, 3min, 5min, etc, and the camera will constantly record clips of this length until you press a "tag" button. If you press "tag" in the first half of the current clip, the camera will save the current clip and the prior clip. If you press in the second half of the current clip, it saves the current and next clip. Once a clip is not the current or prior clip, it vanishes :)

The POV cameras from VIOSport have this function and it is incredibly useful for recording things like fishing when nothing can happen for long stretches and action comes unexpectedly, but that action tends to be preceded with things you want to remember.
  • @ambergris Nice idea - in some audio recorders this is implemented but a bit differently: continuous buffering, but without saving it to recording media - and when you press record, the device starts recording to the media and includes an additional few seconds before you pressed the button as well. I guess this could be useful in some circumstances, such as capturing explosions or lightning or other unpredictable phenomena? Is this the sort of thing you were thinking of?
  • A way to disable the moving of the focus square when (accidentaly...) touching the screen would be very welcome.
  • >I would have to believe this would be less work to implement than the fairly useless face tracking feature and would be an incredible asset for Pros.

Looking at code they never changed core face tracking things for years :-)
    As for implementation - it is easy to do for Panasonic (or any manufacturer with already implemented CA and distortion corrections).
  • "One thing I want to see is lens profiles that you can make on computer and store on your card."

This combined with anamorphic adapters would be golden. Panasonic could very easily ship a calibration card (say a black grid sheet) you take a photo of the card and then the camera could have the option for automatically processing CA and distortion and then save the lens profile on your SD card. I would have to believe this would be less work to implement than the fairly useless face tracking feature and would be an incredible asset for Pros.

Unfortunately they are too worried about disabling 3rd party batteries.
  • QUOTE: shrigg

As a production videographer, the things I need most are:
    1. Focus peaking in red like the AF100 has. I have to get focus right or else I'm sunk!

I agree. Peaking is very important. Getting reliable focus is the single biggest problem with DSLRs.
    Every camera that shoots video should have peaking. But the people who design DSLRs just don't get it.
  • One thing I want to see is lens profiles that you can make on computer and store on your card.
    They must include all CA and distortion correction info (working for manual lenses).
    Lens name, year of manufacturing, etc.
    You must have ability to assign Fn as modifier to set used aperture that will be stored in stills and video meta.
  • >Would it be possible to create the ability to continuously record and shed clips of a predetermined length and save only the clips you want saved using a sort of "tag" function?

No. You must just make custom software solution to trim MTS files without recompression.
  • Here's an odd request that I don't know is possible, but would make a world of difference for what I shoot (and I'll be the first to call idiot on myself if it is already possible on this camera...)

Would it be possible to create the ability to continuously record and shed clips of a predetermined length and save only the clips you want saved using a sort of "tag" function?

• Is there good reason to believe that offering a 1/48th shutter speed would provide perceptible improvement over 1/50th?
  • I'm going to chime in again for an adjustable "crop factor," at least in movie modes.

There is a whole world of c-mount lenses out there, fast, cheap, and good enough for 1080 video. Some have tiny image circles, some almost fill the four-thirds frame, but very few completely fill the frame.

It would be really useful to be able to crop just inside the image circle, so you could use the full field of view of these lenses and get optimal matching to the camera. Since the crop would be performed before it goes to the in-camera downscale to 1920x1080 and the camera's encoder, we could get very good results. (The only way right now to use the whole lens is to crop the already encoded 1920x1080 in post, upscale the crop back up to 1920x1080, and re-encode. Yuck!)

This has to be possible, since the camera is already doing it! It's cropping a 4976x2800 subset from the 4976x3456 sensor, de-Bayerizing it, and downscaling to 1920x1080. All the entrerprising hack programmer needs to do, it would seem, is to change some constants--the locations of the corners of the crop window. Easy!

For example, for a crop down to 98.7% of the full resolution, take the 16:9 rectangle with 4912x2764 pixels that extends from (32,18) to (4944,2782).

If you can make this happen, please include the ability to reposition the center of the crop rectangle. Tolerances in cameras, lenses, and adapters are sloppy enough that the image circle is very obviously off center for most lenses, as people who have experimented with c-mount lenses have seen.

Maybe at first, the crop corners will have to be selected in ptool and therefore hard-coded into a custom firmware, and perhaps accessed by going into ETC mode (though I observe again that curiously, ETC mode
    is the one mode where the downscaler is skipped--though it obviously is cropping in ETC mode it may not be easy to add a scaling step.)

But as a longer term dream-feature, it would be super cool to be able to adjust cropping from the camera's user interface, something a lot like the interface that you use to select the focus assist area: a rectangle of variable size and position, superposed on the live view image.

Thanks Vitaliy!
  • laws of what?

;-)
  • >is there any way of improving the crop mode, regarding the video noise?

No, use simple logic and laws of physics :-)
  • I suppose it's impossible, but is there any way of improving the crop mode, regarding the video noise?
  • Any chance of shutter speeds from in increments of 1 from say 1/2th second all the way upto 1/130th second. If this was possible it might be a way to get around the band line problem.
  • > lower contrast picture profile

+1 Lower contrast profile like the Technicolor Canon profile would KILL!
  • How about making the iExposure activation threshold much much less? :) That would make the GH2 the absolute best DSLR in regards to dynamic range too! Especially if coupled with a lower contrast picture profile.
  • yes 24p with 1/48 shutter might also help to minimize the strobing since i didn't notice it that much on my old GH13 with native 25p checked and 1/50 ( i live in europe )... just a thought
  • >#5 is a must for me too.
  • Hi Vitaliy! Thanks for your hard work, I just donated.

As a production videographer, the things I need most are:
    1. Focus peaking in red like the AF100 has. I have to get focus right or else I'm sunk!
    2. 1080p60 or 1080p50. Overcranking 1080 footage would put this cam right with the F3/FS100.
    3. Default to exact 180 degree Shutter speeds based on video framerate (24fps = 1/48, 25fps = 1/50, 30fps = 1/60, 60fps = 1/120, 120fps = 1/240, etc) = even nicer progressive footage.
    4. Lower ASA's to minimize need for ND
    5. Selectable English language (My GH2 is in Japanese)
    6. Electronic ND? (I am dreaming now) :)
  • Hi Vitaliy.
    It can be expected changes in improvement GH2 as still camera? ( .jpg - removing yelowgreen veil, etc.)