Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks Nick,
    Hey, I see SPANmyBITCHup 24H is at 76Mb/s. Are the i-frames large enough to support decent detail with minimal visible compression artifacts? I take the i-frames average are just short of 400KB?

Also, I see you're using your seaquake settings - does this maintain a higher bitrate under lower light conditions then your previous AQ3 only settings?

I will be testing both of these this weekend. Can't thank you enough
  • Just uploaded seAQuake, Video Bit Rate is 166M at 24H not 176M, is that correct?
  • Thanks for your wonderful work again Driftwood for releasing AQuamotion' version 2 =)
  • @wigginjs Ah, now thats a secret! ;-) At 1080p24, AQuamotion 24H mode will give an 8 gig card around 12 minutes, 16gig card 24 minutes, and 32gig card 48 mins of continuous recording. The 24L mode a bit longer ;-)
  • How is it possible that these patches span with such high bitrates?
  • @driftwood
    Thanks mate too.
    I am very glad if I have so said from you. :-)
    bk
  • @bkmcwd Thank you mate. Glad you got GOP3 working nicely. I know youve done some incredible hard work, well done. Nick
  • @Jspatz
    @TrackZillas
    The Encorder setting tuning of driftwood is amazing!
    I am testing what gave driftwood tune to my patches now, and the effect is GREATEST also in my patches.
    However, since tune of driftwood cannot be used as it is, I am changing only a few.
    Since driftwood tune has not been given yet to the patches which I exhibited until now, I apply it to my patches after this.
    On the patch which gave driftwood tune, I am going to write "with driftwood tune". :-)
    @driftwood
    Thank you for your incredibly wonderful works!

I am sorry that my strange English is unclear. :-(
  • @alcomposer couldnt get your link to work - could u post exact url mate, thanks. Would love to see it. Nick
  • @driftwood the patches page (unless its has been culled) is getting a bit large and talkative... This is why I suggested to use your same post and just update the set?

Don't worry- keep up the good work- did you get a chance to check out the dance installation work we filmed with your last intra patch? (170mb/s)
  • @Driftwood
    Thanks for these last three patches. I agree with alcomposer.

I confess my testing is dodgy.
    I fast dolly along my grey/white/speckled carpet in both low and high light.
    I wave my camera around my garden epileptic style. I can't seem to crash my camera.

Hopefully will have another video to do soon, I shall be using my GH2, and shall donate for the second time at that point.

Cheers

• LOL @alcomposer. I think the last 3 are pretty good to cover all - but who knows - you can't please everybody it seems. See the patches page for seAQuake (AQ3, AQ2), AQuamotion (AQ2, AQ2), and SPANmyBITCHup (AQ2, AQ1) ALL 3 with the new enriched encoder settings.
  • @driftwood I suggest that you create a zip file with ALL of your best settings included...
    and then simply update that... you have enough now- like a 'best of' album! :-D
  • @JDN no chance of sharing between H and L settings because of the standardised frame limits for only one overall setting. sorry.
  • *** NEW **** AQuamotion' version 2. Better quality video with spanning - shorter recording times (as the better quality increases bitrate/video quality) than the newly released minimalist patch SPANmyBITCHup.
    @JDN ver 2 dedicated to you ;-) Includes better i frames than SPANmyBITCHup and indeed spans on all settings. 720p60 is GOP3 btw ;-)
    Driftwood 'Aquamotion' ver2 AQ2 all round and spanning - great for EX TELE and 80percent recording - better 1080p24 quality with spanning than SPANmyBITCHup - setb.zip
    756B
  • @driftwood THANK YOU!!!! (for both). Now if I only hadn't rented out my entire kit for this week, I could try some of these insane patches. Can't wait!

PS: Any idea if the spanning settings would work at 24L and SeAQuake at 24h with the new Ptools?
  • *** NEW *** 'SPANmyBITCHup' INTRA Patch. This is the baby version of 'seAQuake' and lill' brother of 'AQuamotion v2', which will span and record at the lowest minimal possible settings for all modes with gopod quality video. Everything is GOP1 I frame bar 720p60 which is still GOP3.

This patch should work on just about any card, still record decent pictures, whilst giving you very long record times. Tested on all modes plus EX TELE and 1080p 80% modes. Now PLEASE stop asking for spanning INTRA! ;-) Test away.
    Driftwood - 'SPANmyBITCHup' INTRA Spanning and Any SD card in the Type 6-10 range - setf.zip
    633B
  • @driftwood @Jspatz @balazer bkmcwd did copy from your GOP1 176mb/s patch driftwood, I was reading from his post. So that clarifies the pixel peeping part.
  • @Jspatz It wont be in the macroblocking of the dark areas. seaquake goes much lower unless bk has copied my encoder settings :-) For me INTRA is more preferable to GOP3 on the movement - its slightly smoother - just got the edge - sorry to say, but thats my opinion.
  • If it looks good to you, that's all that matters. ;) Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Seriously, when you know how to look for a problem, you start seeing it everywhere. All of these high bit rate patch settings deliver excellent video quality. Practical considerations become more important than squeezing out the last ounce of video quality.
  • I have done some careful pixel peeping comparing Seaquake to bkmcwd 176 gop3 q18. The image quality is nearly identical with the ever so slightest edge to bkmcwd. I am comaparing for noise quality and detail in the shadows as well as picture detail. All kinds of motion also look fine to me. What am I missing and what should I be looking for to make a more complete comparison?
  • @driftwood seAQuake is amazing.. It even looks good at 2x! :) Seriously though, it is insanely clean - interestingly it also shows the weaknesses of the camera (and 8 bit colour) - banding becomes more apparent in some conditions. I haven't tried to work in post with such footage yet - I guess it's easier to try and avoid banding in the shoot than to fix it in post.

Leaving for Rome tomorrow morning, will shoot as much as I can with it!
  • @lenuisible That could explain why the file is roughly twice the size it should be.
  • Maybe the tool recreate P-frames between all the I-frames ...
  • @FGCU A failed recording recovered to 8.59gb using Pannys restore utility.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions