Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD maximum image quality, series 2
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • @LongJohnSilver yes still in beta test, a few improvements coming in v3 :-)
  • Nice finding piotre, so as I understand you have the new 64Gb card, turn off iso limit, and you have no probs with Quantum/seaquake?
  • Are there any reliable GOP6 or 12 patches working with the latest ptool guys? Please, everything I tried so far gives me reliability issues. Chris's 66M GOP12 was what I needed for now for the long shots but it hasn't been updated with the latest ptool and gives me card write errors. UPDATE! I've just realised what caused the problem with cbranding 66M- I was ticking the max iso limit in ptools. Since I left it untouched everything spans and the write errors are gone. Now, since I covered that for myself, it's the quest for the Driftwood's best stable GOP1 :o) Seems I am talking to myself here since everyone is so excited about the FW 1.1 now :o)
  • @driftwood
    Is this the latest Quantum V2 beta?
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/28583#Comment_28583
    I saw that L settings should be used for span & long recording.
    Wouldn't be better using directly the aquamotion or spanmyb for longer recording times?

Hummm seems like all the GOP3 patches were discontinued

Thank you Nick for your great work

LJS

• Quantum is excellent. believe. It took hundreds of tests to get to this stage. And hi, to @piotremanuel, fellow Brightonian! :-)
  • Hello everyone!
    Like LongJohnSilver I would like to ask the same: what is the de facto patch with highest quality vs stability at the moment? I am looking for an equivalent of cbranding 66m updated to the latest hack. I love Driftwood's patches but they require some fine refining I think. Don't get me wrong! They look really amazing but some of them still misbehave for me.
    I hope your programming efforts will continue rather than waiting for the new firmware 1.1 hack from Vitaliy.
  • So, at the moment what would be the patch with the best compromise quality/duration?

Thank you in advance
  • I'm using Chris patch 44/32 for production.
    Patched with previous ptool, but latest ptool did not patch it right i got card write errors ...
  • Chris's patches are excellent already, that's probably why we haven't heard much from him lately - he felt comfortable with his extremely hard endeavours (No one has worked harder than Chris apart from Vitaliy). I don't think at that size bitrate they can be beaten, but yes, newcomers should give it a go and not be afraid to. Most of the settings now have been explored enough not to brick the camera. There's room for improvement everywhere, even the GOP1 stuff, and don't forget Vitaliy hasn't finished with the GH2 yet, the new 1.1 firmware from Panny should prove an insight into where we can go next. Quite intrigued by this mp4 version of 1080p25 at 20mb/s which looks like could happen - and how it will affect the current system & encoder.
  • I think @driftwood and others have done a super job on GOP1 settings, and the area of GOP1 patches seem to be the most worked on patches to date.

It would now be great if we could go back to some of the stuff that @cbrandin was doing: trying to get a non-GOP1 maximum image quality to bitrate effeciency ratio. Chris's patch is great, but it doesn't span yet--so that would be good to do. This line of patch-making is still important I think since for many applications people will not need or want to use GOP1.

I've yet to embark on trying out my own patches / experimenting. So I present this simply as a humble suggestion to testers out there.
  • Here is the video guy's my last link was broken...
    ISO 640
    Shutter 50th
    Profile Dynamic (Love it for night shots)
    Lens 20mm f1.7
    Custom White Balance
  • I did a bunch of slow mo scenes with cbrandin's 66 settings last month, the 720 looks better and is easier to work with

edit: don't know if that holds true for bkmcwd settings, but the workflow is still easier with 720
  • Well, you need to do your own tests. With the best de-interlacers the vertical resolution of 1080i will be just about as good as 720, but theoretically the horizontal resolution will be more. I doubt that you'll see a huge difference, since the whole de-interlacing process is smearing pixels together.
  • So, for slomo, is 720p 60 or 1080i 60 better. I realize 1080i is not 1920x1080 correct? But is their more pixels than a 1280x720 frame?

I have a project requiring 50% slow motion to regular speed and need the best option.
  • @bkmcwd
    Thank you!

I will check your new patch.
  • @proaudio4
    Since the series 3 of the Low GOP thread does not stand yet, I stick here promptly.
    Since former Q15 was slightly unstable, what was improved is this patch.
    Please try this. :-)

Former version:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/22309#Comment_22309
    seti.zip
    562B
    Q15_1.3_FL1_6.55.JPG
    1294 x 631 - 190K
    q15_leaves_continues swaying.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 202K
  • I imagine it could be your cards. We've had good luck with our Transcend cards until we hit the wall with driftwood's 176 (then moved to SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 10 30MB/s).
  • Bit of a newbie here and wonder if someone can explain.... I'm reading about a card speed error: is that an actual error message that the camera reports, or is it a typical sort of artifacting in playback?

I have two class 10 Transcend cards -- 32 and 16gb. With each one, I can't seem to get reliable performance above 42mb (mpgxsvcd settings). Cards too slow, or possibly just a less than stellar GH2?

tia
  • @sohus
    If "Frame Limit" is changed into a value smaller than 7864320?
  • What setting controls the i-frame size? My i-frames are now at 1,180k, I would like to reduce them to around 1,000k. How can I achieve that?
  • @sphipps
    I've been working on 720 60P/50P and 1080 60i settings. I'll release them after a bit more testing.
  • @stray thank ya buddy. good to know. i need to hunt me down some 72060p settings.
  • @sphipps No as both 24H and 24L share too many parameters, including the GOP setting. You can however have completely independent 720p settings.
  • is it possible to use an i frame patch on 24h and a cbrandin patch on 24L as well as on 72060p?