Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD maximum image quality, series 2
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • @Nameless Great stuff, well filmed mate.
  • @Driftwood
    You made it possible fella...Thanks again and if you think this is good...wait to see what i have in store
  • Could do with your skills tomoz, we need another GH2 cameraman for Turin Brakes gig in Brighton.
  • @driftwood you serious? This weekend is bit crazy to be honest may not actually be in town, otherwise that would be a touch. Thanks for consideration and keep me posted...im only up the road lol
    let me know the details anyway in case i can swing something last minute
  • See the modified versions of @cbrandin's 44Mbps and 66Mbps settings.

Basically I removed all settings for testers only. Frankly I don't know much about all those complex settings. But I recall that @cbrandin's original intention was using only end user settings only. But the irregular cadence issue required more tweaking for hacked firmware 1.0. Now it's firmware 1.1.

The 44Mbps settings worked for all modes. The settings doubled default bitrates and have AQ4. No crash so far. This is my default settings.

The 66Mbps settings tripled default video bitrates and have AQ3 instead of AQ2. 24p and 60p modes worked fine, but HBR mode failed. See the stream parser captures. Sometimes in-camera playback didn't work. Hopefully more advanced testers can fix it.

24h stress test.PNG
    746 x 398 - 59K
    24h motion.PNG
    746 x 398 - 60K
    720p60 motion.PNG
    746 x 398 - 49K
    Chris44Mbps-Mod.ini
    476B
    Chris66Mbps-Mod.ini
    476B
  • Oops. Wrong 66Mbps settings. Use this one instead.

Chris66Mbps-Mod-Corrected.ini
    438B
  • @cbrandin 66Mbps on v1.0 firmware. I still haven't been able to achieve the matching quality with firmware v1.1. Comments welcome.

• Have you tried the 66Mbps AQ3 settings I uploaded?

• @stonebat Without the proper matrices I am getting lowered bit rate and visible macro blocking with the new ptool and firmware. I am trying to marry the Driftwood's Dark Matter with cbrandin 66 but it takes lots of testing and time. There is so much more to it than just mixing settings randomly... Besides, since 25p is inferior to 24p quality wise, I am not in a rush to jump exclusively to v1.1. And another thing, I feel AQ2 yields better results, but it's subjective.

• @piotremanuel You say AQ2 yields better results, do you mean in terms of motion rendering or the overall look ?

• @piotremanuel After using IQ=20, Q = 8 on new Orion patch, I completely agree with this idea that AQ2 which samples around the Q = 10 mark that AQ2 could be the sweetspot. I have found that the AQ processing is perhaps a bit more taxing than finding the sweetspot Q whcih will still get you where you want to be in terms of quality. In many cases using AQ3 or 4 delivers only a few lines of macroblocks at the lowest Q (2 to 6). So its best to try and get most the picture where you can around the same mean average Q.

It wouldn't suprise me if motion benefits from this.