Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @jfro I bought a Sandisk 45mb extreme pro last week hoping it would work fine with Driftwood's 176mb hack. It worked fine with normal 1080 24p but the 720 50p settings kill it. It usually dies when I shoot a dark area of shadow and then quickly move to a bright source such as a white sky. I don't know if it's a PAL thing or not, I read quite a few comments saying 60p worked fine without a problem. Tried low level format and it still doesn't help. I'm pretty sure the card is legitimate as I bought it from Amazon, but it's going back now.

Does anyone in PAL land have Driftwood's 50p settings working OK for them without errors? if so what card are you using?
  • hey, how about moving all this sd card discussion to the appropriate thread? This one is supposed to be about GOP1.
  • @RJH
    I'm using the same Sandisk card (45 MB/s extreme pro) than you, and it work fine with 720 50p settings Driftwood'Gopstoppa patch
  • Since many of us are trying to get into the low gop and the cards are a MAJOR issue, what's the big deal about talking about what cards work. Sorry if I'm out of line, but this is one thread that needs the higher performing cards.
    None the less, I still don't know what to buy. There are peeps doing ok with the UHS-1 cards and others not. Maybe it's as simple as some are getting clone crap cards.
    I may try Amazon as they have a return policy that might let me return a UHS-1 45 mb/s card if it didn't work. I already have 5 class 10 - 16gb Transend cards, so not really interested in spending more $$ on a Sandisk class 10 card.
  • I am trying some stuff out. What do you guys think of these charts? They sure look good to me.

GOP3 176M, GOP3 154M

Both are shot on a death chart with motion.
    gop3_176m_AQ0.PNG
    1182 x 433 - 51K
    gop3_154m_AQ0.PNG
    1182 x 411 - 49K
  • The same settings on AQ1 fail on my Transcend Class 10 cards. I just ordered a SanDisk Extreme Pro 30MB card to see if it makes a difference.

• I did a few tests with 176 GOP1 today. I noticed some extreme noise banding problems. I check if the hack settings are making things worst ...

noise in ETC mode:

176_GOP1_Banding.png
    1775 x 706 - 1M
  • I also did another check on Driftwood 132M (the one he linked in the patch vault). It is not good. I do not recommend using it at all, very unstable. Transcend class 10 card. His GOP1 patch will give better quality, because the i-frames are higher 800k than in the 132m patch (few seconds 1.000k than drop to 600-700k). I do not understand why this patch has been used as a reference for so long.
  • We have had extraordinary results from both the 132 and the 176 Driftwood, so, at the risk, of sounding pedantic, is it possibly you're doing something wrong?
  • We too, by the way, have had troubles with the ETC weird noise.

On the first shot, maybe try again with smooth, and make sure you're on M mode in the menu.
  • QuantmeBaby is outrageous. The image quality is just outstanding. Only problem is the large file sizes. Have to get some new cards. Seriously good. Cheers Driftwood and Vitaly. Just outstanding work. The little camera that could

• ... noise in the sky. This might be a general GH2 problem ...
  • It is a matter of sensor quality. Blue channel is the noisest, also at 160 isos, red channel comes after and green channel is really high quality channel.

... And the sky is blue :P
  • @cosimo_bullo
    Just shoot a death chart with Driftwood 132M and throw it in streamparser. The stream collapses a few seconds in. Maybe in real life, it holds up but it will still collaps in a heavy detail/motion realworld scene. The only thing that I cannot account for yet (tuesday I can) is if memory cards influence the performance (without the camera giving write speed errors).
  • @sohus GOP3 was done in my GOP3ILLA - sustained hi qiality patch - either try the P frame version or the B frame version.
  • @driftwood
    I don't see any advantage over a GOP3 patch that has the same frame sizes as a GOP1 patch.
  • motion :-) Apples / Pears top i frames with poorer prediction or great all rounder! Just take off the GOP1 and put it to a higher gop and lift the frame limit for normal higher prediction.
  • @Elenion
    And since humans can't see as sharp in blue as in green, it's a good idea to do your noise filtering in blue only and see if it's already up to your expectations before filtering all channels.
  • A few of you have emailed me directly for settings that would work sustained for Slow Motion work only. Many of the 1080p24 patches at 80% in EX TELE mode failed early so I thought I would setup a patch that in theory wouldnt fail so easily. The quality isnt on a par with the GOP1 Intra settings Ive uploaded but those and many other patches would fail in EX TELE 80% mode. This PAL or NTSC 1080p/720 patch seems good for the buffers, various death charts and outside recording. So try this out and let me know if its any good.
    Driftwood 'Aquamotion' AQ2 for Slow Motion Work in EX TELE mode - seti.zip
    645B
  • Thanks, Driftwood. I haven't had a chance to test this, but looking it over, it seems to favor the 720P modes. Do you have one that favors the 1080i modes?
  • @Elenion thanks for the noise info. I'll have to look into that more. Red I will agree with you on . . . its always the culprit for me. Once I start grading, its like an ant rave all over my video.
  • @driftwood

I tested your Aquamotion patch and sorry to report, not good. 720 60P has a badly smeared picture every 15 frames, followed by a less smeared picture, then followed by 13 good frames.
    1080 60i is a disaster - low contrast detail is obliterated on all frames.
    24P 100M GOP1 looks decent.
  • @Ralph_B Thanks Ralph, Yeah I took a look, its a donut with 720p trying to balance it with 60i/50i - just doesnt work out. The majority of the work done for this test was for 1080p24 at 80% EX tele mode where its good.
  • hey what does it look like when a file isnt working?
  • @PerryWilson
    What do you mean?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions