Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood:
    I would like to kown if you new 1 GOP pach will be ready during this weekend. Thanks
  • 187mb/s GOP1 patch. If it's true > Great news!
  • @driftwood... amazing man, any chance it will be done before sunday? Im shooting the rest of the short film that got rained out last weekend, with some great TV actors

@TrackZillas here is a link its literally the first image I ever shot on a GH2 and on my new GH2
    this guy is driving me crazy
  • @driftwood, im gonna just have to ask... my cinematorgraphy group of tattoos is getting more and more and more stuff... the LOMO logo goes on in a few weeks... but I want a GH2 powered by Driftwood tat also lol wondering if you would be against that... I put a tattoo for every cinema thing that changes my life... and your work has done so greatly
  • Hey guys, I've been following this thread closely but have yet to post. I just installed the latest from driftwood and here are some screen caps of the absolutely beautiful results.

These were shot with my old Leica Summilux 50mm 1.4 from sometime in the 60's. Again, this are frame grabs from the video signal, not stills... I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing. The color replication is absolutely brilliant, the gradients from highlight to black are smooth as hell, the detail and resolution is amazing.

ISO 200.

I work with Epic's and Alexa footage on a daily basis, and I'm rarely as taken back with the images that I see coming off those cameras than what I was able to capture with this hack and one light.

Great work, keep it coming.

My cat just got his man bits removed, that's why he's in the silly blue cone of shame.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how much I LOVE the way these files behave inside of premier when editing the .MTS files natively. SO much smoother and easier for the computer to process.
    1.png
    1917 x 1021 - 2M
    3.png
    1919 x 1080 - 2M
    2.png
    1916 x 1020 - 2M
  • LOVE IT... what is on your cats head @vanawesome silly...
    @driftwood, look how good your codec holds up in post AMAZING what it can do number 1 is raw number 2 is edited... your the king BTW this is a two room grade in apple color after 5DtoRGB covert to prores 422 these are not still exports but screen shots on my computer while playing in quicktime so the files arent full size or res, but this isnt for that its just about color... cant wait for the new patch man
    Screen shot 2011-10-14 at 2.32.11 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 742K
    Screen shot 2011-10-14 at 2.32.02 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
  • @vanawesome
    In my dream world, a minimally configured Epic might happen someday. Would the driftwood hacked GH2 work with the epic footage for b roll in your opinion when not needing 4k or 5k?

....nice collar on the gold cat. My wife (cat lover) got a kick out of that.
  • @jfro
    Without question. Some well shot, well exposed hacked GH2 would cut right in for HD finishing. In fact, I'm working on a project that was shot with Epics and Alexa's right now, and I put my kitten footage into the same DI session to see how it would hold up, as a side by side comparison, and it holds up beautifully. Aside from the noticeably more intense rolling shutter, of course.

• @ vanawesome - what particular hack were you using for your kitten footy?

edit - just noticed it was Driftwood's latest... my bad...
  • Also - without combing the threads - is there a particular hack that would lend itself to smaller files but better detail handling? Example, I shot hikers in the mountains today but needed to do some lengthy interviews following - Driftwoods hacks were just to big file size so I used the original Vitaliy 42 -

??? thoughts? Tree noise / flicker was a bit distracting.
  • @driftwood & @Vitaliy_Kiselev - just wanted to say thanks for the extraordinary effort you've put into this, and to let you know that footage shot on my GH2 using the SmoothAsFuck GOP1 settings wound up being cut into a feature shot on RED MX. It just cut right into the 2K finish...
    If I can get permission from the producers to post a frame or a clip, I will.

I've since moved on to the QuantMeBaby and couldn't be happier. Amazing work guys.
  • here yah go guys some new video.... Ok here are a few landscape test shots I did with QuantMeBaby patch designed by the amazing Driftwood. Unfortunately since I dont have a Pro account I had to compress to .H264 to stay under the 500mb limit. I wish y'all could see the prores 422 HQ file, rivals RED all day long. Believe it or not this looks like crap compared to the prores

WorkFlow: .mts to prores 422HQ via 5DtoRGB (rec.709)
    Import to Final Cut Pro, send to Color(stretch curve, sat up .2) export to .H264 via export with compressor.

Equipment: GH2, Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s 8gb, Ceicio7 Oct-18 to m4/3, LOMO prime 50mm f/2, and last 2 shots are on Jupiter 135 f/3.5 and the last shot is in ETC mode(amazing with driftwoods new patch), Cheapo monopod, poncho for rain :P

After doing many many test I find QuantMeBaby to be the best patch bar none thus far for the GH2. Vitaliy, I owe him big time for the amazing work, and Driftwood even more for the hard work on developing patches. This camera is changing my workflow and my company all in positive ways.

I will be shooting more in the upcoming months stay tuned, films and commercials to come soon... please download the original and watch it on a HDTV its great.

• @PerryWilson @Driftwood Great work this footage is amazing, you right man Driftwood GOP1 is it.. been shooting all week with it, matter of fact got a Music Video shoot on the 30th of this month gonna shoot the whole thing using GOP1 believe it ;). Still waiting for the new improve version, but if there are no more improvements the 176mbit GOP1 will still be king IMO. By the way Perry & Driftwood did some intensive test using the I-Dynamic & I-Resolution EX turn on while shooting with the 176mbit GOP1 patch, what came out of it is a cleaner picture & less noise in the dark areas don't know if it's just my camera or what.. give it a try and let me know what comes out of it for you.. that's my go to setting now I-Dynamic on, I-Resolution EX on it does something under the hood of the GH2..
  • @temsi Good work hope you get those frames, or clips. The GH2 Wow's me every time I shoot with it specially with the GOP1 patch. Keep us posted about the clips.
  • I'm giving a try for the first time with Driftwoods latest. As I'm doing this, I'd also like to shoot 720 60p for slow mo. Can anyone recommend the best 60p settings?

• Did a side by side test - love the low light improvements :)
  • @Smiley
    The difference is clear, thanks for the test
  • wow, the differences are night and day, thats insane.
  • @PerryWilson
    Very confused. I hear peeps say the 45 mb/s Sandisk (SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™ UHS-I card) cards don't work with Driftwoods 176 gop1.
    Yet, you seem to be using the card. What am I missing. Would like to buy one, but hesitant as to the peeps that say it doesn't work.
    Can you shed some light on this, like maybe sandisk fixed some issue or newer model? I'm assuming the 45 mb/s only comes in the UHS-1.

Thanks in advance.
  • @jfro
    i'm using the 45 mb/s Sandisk Extreme pro as well. No issues at all with driftwoods hack. I picked mine up at best buy so there is no way it's a fake. My guess is that some of the people having issues are using fake cards purchased on ebay.
  • @jfro After speaking extensively with SanDisk tech support , I believe the issue with UHS-1 media and problems with 176 GOP1 or other hacks is that the GH2 (and imac for that matter) doesn't read the card natively since UHS-1 cards have twice as many pins as SD and SDXC cards in order to achieve those maximum rates.

So, a "40MBps" UHS-1 card may transfer data at Significantly slower rates than the maximum rating on a SD /SDXC device, and they only guarantee a minimum Class 10 rating.

This is why now, for the SAME PRICE, Sandisk and other manufacturers are now releasing "95MBps" UHS-1 cards.

One thing is for certain, they will not tell me what the maximum transfer rate that's guaranteed using a UHS-1 card on an SDXC device, only the minimum of Class 10.

(revised with feedback from @PerryWilson and @plasmasmp)
  • no problems here
  • So, a "40MBps" UHS-1 card may only transfer at rates HALF that in reality on a SD /SDXC
    device, and they only guarantee a minimum Class 10 rating.

Wrong, at least in my case. I've tested it well over 30MBs using the GH2 as a card reader.
  • Are sdxc compatible with gh2? I don't see anyone using these cards, then i suppose it isn't. I'm using transcend class 10 and i'm getting issues sometimes. That's why i'm trying to understand what card i should buy (UHS, 30mbit, sdxc or uhs-1 90mbit)
  • @plasmasmp @Perrywilson Glad to see you having good success with the UHS-1 cards and decent transfer rates. I'll revise my comment. SanDisk tech support person I spoke with must not have accurate info.

@elenion I use the SDXC 64GB card by Transcend. Some hacks have issues with the write speed, others not. So far no errors on 176 GOP1, but I am still testing...
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions