Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @defier

The benefit to using a higher GOP is that it's drastically more efficient. The general rule is that standard long-GOP is twice as efficient as intra-frame. Accordingly, general broadcast rules in a general context require 50 Mbps long-GOP or 100 Mbps intra-frame.

So, yes, for fast action intra-frame is superior -- but -- the bit rate needs to be substantially higher (2x+).

Furthermore, everything is 8 bit, 4:2:0 on this hacked GH2 -- so -- if you want to fudge it for any kind of professional distribution you're going to want to push the bitrate even higher.

So, for every notch lower you go with the GOP, the bitrate needs to be increased to correspond with the loss of efficiency. Some of the settings out there don't do this -- resulting in inferior images to the higher bitrate Long-GOP settings like Driftwood's Cluster 12/15 GOP variations.

• NEW!!!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.2

"TYPE-ZERO1" released previously was not good in other than 24p. And, previous TYPE-ZERO2 "Candidates1-5" are sometimes not good in IQ or stability. Therefore, I further improved C1 and made Candidate1.2. setting. Probably in this C1.2, the finest noise in candidates of TYPE-ZERO2 will be reproduced. This C1.2 is the setting stabilized more from C1.1.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.2 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Seta.ini - Released 23/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/87723#Comment_87723

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• Is there a benefit to using higher GOP? Or is GOP1 always the best way to go, especially for fast action...

• @jrd: amen brother! Although i must confess i am also still eagerly waiting for the messiah in the incarnation of a hack that turns my gh2 into a 50000$ film camera :) People either see what they want to see, what they are told to see or what they bought to see.

• So far I'm seeing unbelievable images out of AN

The anthropology of the GH2 hack -- the religious attachment to one setting or another, the outrage which comparison tests provoke, the absence of evidence that anyone can reliably distinguish any given setting from the stock firmware without frame by frame examination (much less distinguish settings of comparable bit rates) -- would make for an interesting documentary.

• TEST PANASONIC GH2 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula with cbrandin/driftwood '444 Sharp2' matrix 1600 iso smooth -2-2-2-2 F 2.0-2.8 S: 1/40 2500K LEICA SUMMICRON 35MM

• Freedom and competition made america, do not drop it LP.

• @dustylense

Dusty, now that I know how you truly feel, I think we should call it off. The fact is you're just not the sort of fanboy I'm looking for at this point in my life, and now that you're here and drooling over another guy's patches, I... I really don't think I can give you the kind of technical support you need. I'm sorry it had to end this way, but we'll always have Photokina...

• Oh, and by the way. The good footage you gave me. I gave that to me. I shot it. Hack or not, the footage is what I point it at....

• Flowmotion is there dude, if I need it. But I learned that you have issues with others hacks. WHy not just make yours and leave it at that. You FM is a good hack. It's stable and that is why I used it. But man o man, give these guys a break on your hack vas. other hacks. So far I'm seeing unbelievable images out of AN and sounds like Driftwood is building on it. I've played with it for some hours now and honestly dude, I can do more with it than I can FM. It just looks more filmic and less video.
    Reading through the thread, LPowell just left a touch of distain in my head on how you handle and comment on other peoples hacks. Why? Do you have a room full of participation trophies and no 1st place ones or something? I would say to you just come in here and tell Driftwood, "Nice job. Looks great". Then maybe exchange findings and co-operate so we can get more advanced hacks in the future.
    My impression of what I like with AN? It's the smooth cinema feel I'm seeing. I could care less with trying to compete with 4k red detail. This AN and upon first look, gave me the feeling that I am holding a $30,000 quality camera with a cinema image feel. FM gives me a better bit rate, but still feels video like because you concentrate on resolution and detail. It works good dude, don't get hurt. It's stable and works. Relax man. People are gonna still check you out.

• Lol, this morning i was really in a tabloid or soap opera mood, instead i made my luck here :) these issues have long been settled dusty or at least been forgotten, no need to dig up old stuff :) Please stay on topic only, i think we will need the space for great things to come, i have an intra venus itching all over :)

• @dustylense

Dusty, baby, what happened? I'm really crushed dude, because just yesterday when we were at dvxuser you were all like... "I always have my Flowmotion 2.2 handy as it's the most stable patch I've ever used. "

I'm sorry, Dusty, but after all that sweet footage I gave you, and then to be confronted here with such an outburst, I just don't know what to believe anymore. I mean, the very thought of you drooling over that... that hack...

• @LPowell... LOL... Just visited your thread. The fact that you are trying to convince people that FM is the it thing over AN and posting comparisons is quite entertaining! No, scratch that, it shows little to zero class. Even if your patch is superior, I'm gonna stick with AN on the principle that you can't stand others taking attention from you.

@Driftwood... Great work!

• @LPowell Dude, really... Whats the deal with you? I have played with AN for only about 3 hours and I have to say that it's REALLY nice and cinematic. Are you butthurt that people are paying attention and giving AWESOME feedback on the AN series of patches??? Patches that are just going to get better and better! I'm sitting here watching footage I took in my yard and drooling over them. Why do you insist on hijacking this thread for your own glory?

@Driftwood and the rest. Way to go! Keep em coming!

• @Jim_Simon , This is what I have been using with Boom..Cheap PNY Pro Elite, Class 10, 32 gig, 35mb/s.... Take a look at Boom, Drewnet is different but equally not a problems with the same card.

• Anyone having any playback troubles? Even after turning off/on, most of my clips generate a read error after only half a second of playback.

SanDisk Extreme 64 GB 95MB/s card. Drewnet Soft patch.

• @manda Not sure. If you upload the smallest MTS that gives you that problem, one of us could take a look at it and try to see if anything is unusual.

• Hi guys! I downloaded the AN Boom patch, shot video last night: 24P, manual lens (Samyang 35), 1600ISO, smooth -2,-2,-2,-2. MTS files i can review on-camera, i can open via VLC on the MAC .As i threw them through 5DtoRGB for transcoding to ProRes422 (BT.601, full range, progressive), i get a black file. no image, just the audio. I tried converting then to Prores 444, but same result. I then used Aunsoft Video converter (Prores422) and i see them ok. I also tried coverting them via import on FCPX, and it doesnt even convert. Error message. Any hints? Thabnk a lot to you all. terrific Site here!

• Here's a short test with the Contax Carl Zeiss lenses.

Vimeo discription:

This test was done on the GH2 with the brand new Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' '444 Sharp' matrix. I am not a professional colorist, but compared to older footage I've colored like the Canis Majoris series, I saw a huge improvement.

SET-UP: Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm Profile: Smooth -2 all ISO: 160

• @Daspenberg I believe it was mentioned by PV's own photokina team in the GH3 thread. I also read it in a preview, but I've read so many previews now that I don't remember exactly which one.

• @Stray, thanks for the reply. That is pretty much what I do now, but I wish I didn't. The screenshots @Driftwood has been providing seem to be pretty clear of any green hue's, so I was hoping the apocalypse now settings would help. Yes, my workflow too usually includes grading, but I got plenty of jobs that just want the raw footage and don't know much about color grading.
    I've actually never had a hue problem with any other camera.

@mlysbakken, where have you heard that the GH3 still has a gamma shift? That would suck.

• IntraVenus

• IntraVenus!! :D

• How's that intra coming along? :)

• NEW!!!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.1

"TYPE-ZERO1" released previously was not good in other than 24p. And, previous TYPE-ZERO2 "Candidates1-5" are sometimes not good in IQ or stability. Therefore, I further improved C1 and made Candidate1.1. setting. Probably in this C1.1, the finest noise in candidates of TYPE-ZERO2 will be reproduced.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.1 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setc.ini - Released 20/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/86970#Comment_86970

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions