Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @bkmcwd many thanks for the great patch, I do more tests.

• I forgot to say that I shoot 25fps in HBR, but I tried also 1080i FSH... Both stop at 4.29GB. I didn't try 24p !

• @blaisejadoul 24p spans as well with DREWnet 444 sharp.

• @Lambo Many thanks for more feedbacks! :-)

• Done with Cluster v6 'DREWnet' 12-15GOP

• yeah well done. Those guys seem to really mean it.

• @ValentinDeluy: nice one ...he he ;-)

• @johnnym @botha Thank you guys! I always try to do more than my best :)

• @ValentinDeluy amazing footage man!! What did you use for lighting?

• @DeShonDixon Thank you ! :) And very good question ! Only one small reflector that was a bit too far away, but that did not made the lightning. In fact we used nothing, the trick isn't there !

• Exposed to the highlights, night WB and gamma +2 (Even if your screen looks terribly dark)

I made a PR preset to recover the day WB if you are interested in testing :)

• @blaisejadoul @Bkmcwd did you try Bkmcwd's Valkyrie 444 soft? In my first tests 24p and 25p HBR both spanned across several files. Worth a shot! Please try as well and report. Better safe than sorry, right?

• @Tobsen Thanks for the info. I'll certainly try and keep you posted !

• @Tobsen and @blaisejadoul thanks for info. I presume you both tested Pal on 64gb 95mbs?

• @konjow Yes indeed, that's what I did !

• @driftwood Nick, I shot some footage today with the new AN Nebula sharp 2, Smooth -2,-2,-1,-1 on a Sandisk 64. Mbs95. Love the look, however I had some problems. On several clips there were digital dropouts when importing into FCPX and using Clipwrap. When playing the MTS raw files in mplayer, it choked and stuttered.

When you got a chance, could you take a look? I uploaded the file to the shared skintones dropbox folder that you have access to. Happy trails on your travels.

Edit> Got a 5DtoRGB transcode to work, not sure what was up. I'll continue to test AN and develop a good workflow. Thanks

• @driftwood could you explain AN setting and how to get set it up to this version? sorry if this is obvious...

• @blaisejadoul second span test with Valkyrie 444 soft in HBR mode stopped recording after 3rd 4,3gb file. What did you find?

• @driftwood - "The original matrix is the Soft variation."

So the Chris Brandin matrix used in the original versions is the:Soft variant of Apocalypse Now:

6 GOP Nebula 444 - seti

6 GOP Nebula 444 soft - setd

12_15 GOP 444 sharp - setc

12_15 GOP 444 soft - setf

If we don't want soft video, it sounds like you recommend abandoning Chris' "pseudo-444" matrix in favor of the new "sharp2" matrix used in the following Apocalypse Now variants:

6 GOP Nebula 444 sharp2 - seti

12_15 GOP 444 sharp2 - setc

• @ValentinDeluy Ge-ni-al! Dites, ces ceums viennent du quel bled perdu? Les merguez=supercool!

• @Tobsen I'm afraid I won't be able to try anything before tomorrow. Sorry ! BTW how do you shoot 25p ? Just Pal and HBR ?

• @LPowell This is adding to confusion!!!! Need to clear up which patches are what!!!

• The concept behind crafting a "pseudo-444" matrix is intriguing, with a single reservation. Here's how Chris Brandin described it to me in a PM last July:

"To produce the smoothest gradations possible... we can make detail the same at all angles using a 3x3 matrix:

004 004 004 255

004 006 005 255

004 005 006 255

255 255 255 255

Detail is softened somewhat, producing a level of detail somewhere between 1080p and 720p when used with 1080p encoding... Seeing as chroma macroblocks are 1/2 the detail of luma ones in each dimension, why not keep luma at 3x3, and use this matrix for chroma:

004 004 004 004

004 006 005 005

004 005 006 005

004 005 005 006

At that time, we agreed that cutting down the resolution of the luma components would likely make the chroma components relatively more prominent. However, I suspected that using a 3x3 luma matrix would produce soft images more akin to a 3:3:0 color space than a "pseudo-444" resolution.

The new "sharp2" Apocalypse Now matrix abandons Chris' 3x3 concept in favor of a more traditional flat-style matrix, with resolution reduced only at the lower right tip of the matrix:

004 004 004 005

004 006 005 006

004 005 005 168

005 006 168 255

This should definitely produce sharper results than Chris' "pseudo-444" matrix.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions