Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @Meierhans coffee is always good ;)

• @Cbrandin As long as the display resolution is 1:1, that is fine and you need look no further. :)

Just remember to set your project properties to 32-bit Full Range Gamma 2.222 to get the closest to the original, as any non-full range ones will of course output with video levels instead (which may be an issue, depending on what you are comparing). I have uploaded a lot of videos that were edited in 8-bit mode (which in btoh Vegas Pro and Platinum uses video levels instead of full-range) instead because I was not testing dynamic range.

Personally, I just keep the 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed for the AAF support in the 32-bit version, so if the 64-bit one does not support rendering an image sequence, you can do so with the 32-bit one.

• Its not a big problem, you can send all previews with TC in 24p to your client and just speedup your final delivery. Nobody will ever notice. It takes about 1-20 minutes depending on cliplenght to do the audio timestretch. If it takes more than 5... thats the perfect moment to get some coffee. ;-)

• @Meierhans read that before. If I find the time over the weekend I will test that. Just don't like the idea of adding more steps to the workflow...

Still, thanks for the advice!

That interview made it easy to stop once in a while.

• @Tobsen I suggest to record, cut and grade everything in 24 FPS and speedup the final render to 25 FPS. To avoid pitch shifting there are free options like virtualdub.

In an interview situation I would communicate in advance that once in a while you need to adjust settings, so nobody will be upset if you call in a 5 sec break every 10 minutes.

• @thepalalias - I figured out the best way to do it (Vegas 64-bit doesn't support stills rendering). If I use the send snapshot to clipboard it sends a bitmap (uncompressed) to the clipboard. Then I can paste it into Photoshop in any format I want.

• @Blaisejadoul >37 mins in 24p or HBR? in HBR my longest recordings were always around 25-28mins before they stopped. During the interview I stopped the cam three times after around 8-10mins to be sure it wouIdn't stop recording by itself. Regarding HBR issue...just went back a couple of pages to find the "warning" from @cbrandin. Fortunately I haven't had any hard edges in the shot that could have caused that problem discussed so I didn't notice. Next week, the shoots will be more demanding so I might have to change my approach to getting 25p then...

To all PAL shooters - suggestions very welcome ;)

• [friday night quote] Thank you guys very much for pushing further and further. Your effort is pulling all kinds of talented people in here that turned this place from a specialized platform about hacking panasonic cams into something that goes much further. This makes me very, very happy. Rock on!!! [/friday night quote]

• @cbrandin You could always use Render As in Vegas (as mentioned above) and output to any number of uncompressed formats.

Best of luck with whichever program you use. :)

• @jrd - good points... One of the goals for the "soft" matrices was to provide better latitude in post. There is a metric which is a pretty reliable indicator of how well footage will do in post. If you decode a clip using the JM-SP decoder in StreamParser it will show you something called "DC" value. The lower that number is, the better (below a value of 5, however, isn't necessary). The DC value is the lowest effective quantization parameter in the frame, and therefore an indicator of how well detail is rendered from a gradation standpoint (a value of 5 means that detail is rendered with 255 levels in the frequency domain - the maximum 8-bits can produce). Also the "Range" value is significant. Ranges of 5 or lower are fairly ideal. The lower the range, the better.

• Since nobody who goes to the trouble of installing new settings is likely to use the footage out of the camera without color correction and other processing, maybe the issue is less what the footage looks like unprocessed, than what can be done with it.

This would leave us with different questions: does one setting produce images with more obvious and uncorrectable defects than another, beyond which data rate are you encoding nothing useful on the GH2, and do certain settings produce footage which can endure more post processing than others?

If the past is any guide, none of these question will ever be answered.

• In Vegas, the PNG files are compressed. I'll look at other options and try to find something that produces uncompressed versions (or, some other uncompressed format). I have the Adobe stuff too, so I'll look at that as well.

Thanks guys!

• @mozes @cbrandin Glad you guys already cleared that up. But let us not go back to the old way of talking about color bit depths. :)

In the mid-90s, we talked about color depth in terms of the aggregate bits from all the channels (for instance RGB= 8+8+8=24-bit or RGBA= 8+8+8+8 = 32-bit) but in the project properties for Vegas (and the discussions on this site) the standardized usage is bits per channel. So both the RGB and RGBA examples I wrote out would be 8-bit, as would be the PNG files I mentioned. :)

• @cbrandin I don't know what you're using to play the video Chris, but http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/ lets you grab a frame in png during play.

• @cbrandin, if i am not wrong it is PNG is lossless and 32-bit (includes an 8-bit alpha) in vegas.
    When you take a screen-capture, make sure preview is set to best, and the timeline is set to the correct frame format.
    Source: https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/711/kw/snapshot

But you can "render as"
    Available options have been expanded beyond JPG and PNG to also include TIFF, BMP, DPX, EXR, and WMPhoto
    Source: http://www.videouniversity.com/articles/vegas-pro-9/

• @Tobsen It's not just a question of spanning. It's also the fact that @cbrandin warned us that the soft matrices have been developed for 1080p !

• @thepalalias - On my Vegas Pro the only options shown are PNG and JPG - they're both compressed and there are no save options (quality, etc....). Is there some option I have to set to get the other formats?

• @Tobsen How much time did you record ? And did it span ? I shot several tests with AN 6GOP soft in 24H and I stopped recording after 37 min and 48 min. Of course it spanned without any problem. I think that I'll stick to that for the moment...

• @blaisejadoul I shot the interview using two cams and the Valkyrie 444 soft settings in HBR mode. I stopped the recording twice to be sure it wouldn't stop by itself. It turned out well!

• @bkmcwd thans for the clarification :) I will test a bit more this weekend and most probably use it on the shoots next week ;)

• @MisterBink

"the Valkyrie patches will have more to work with in shadow areas yes?"

Although I am not sure on the basis of what you judge that it is "more", I consider yes. However, we need feedback more. :-)

• So in theory, the Valkyrie patches will have more to work with in shadow areas yes? Or am I over-thinking again?

• @Ian_T I didn't shoot too much in low light, but from what I did I didn't have any noise issues at all.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions