Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @minsat

For now I do not work on encryption anymore (but return to it after first patches will be ready and body will be in my hands).
    As soon as I'll have time I'll start moving all reversing to latest available firmware (from 1.0C that I used).
    It'll become main database (as was 1.22 for GH1).
  • Name of the hack is outstanding, like GH2 itself
  • @Vitaliy - thank you - your outline of the process makes perfect sense!

Good luck - and yes, good name for the hack!
  • Hi

does the encryption algorithm used for the GH2 firmware is the same (or similar) to the last GH1 firmware?
    thanks!
  • Sounds like you are making excellent progress Vitaliy.
    This is not a surprise but wonderful and impressive none the less.

As I'm in Australia where the GH2 is completely non existent and may be for quite awhile still, I'm forced to either wait... or try to buy now from Hong Kong or Japan... I raise this as I'm just a little concerned Panasonic may seek to change the next batch of cameras like they did with the second wave so to speak of GH1's... Fearful speculation on my behalf I realise, but a reasonable concern perhaps you think? I'd value your opinion.

Best
    LW
  • > does the encryption algorithm used for the GH2 firmware is the same (or similar) to the last GH1 firmware?

GH1 firmware is not encrypted.
  • >GH1 firmware is not encrypted.>

thats amazing, thanks for the good news vitaly
  • >GH1 firmware is not encrypted.>

Sorry, you are right! I was just thinking about this scenario: we know that the last GH1 firmware does not allow any update with the old firmware (even cheating on firmware vesion). So I suppose that maybe the last GH1 firmware expects a new firmware to be signed and encrypted in a similar way as the GH2 firmware. The GH2 routine in charge of acknowledge the new firmware could be, hopefully, the same.
  • >So I suppose that maybe the last GH1 firmware expects a new firmware to be signed and encrypted in a similar way as the GH2 firmware.

I do not think so :-)
    Until we'll have dump for GH1 it is pure specialations.
    With same approach I could declare that it is alien form of life injected in each of new GH1 bosy that prevents update :-)
  • Vitaliy!!!!

I donated...
    Can't wait to see what you do with the GH2!!!
    Thank you for what you are doing!
  • I just sent money your way. I'm eagerly waiting for a GH2 firmware so that the 30 min recording limitation on my European model would be removed. You think that's a possibility?
  • >You think that's a possibility?

Yes.

Thanks for donation.
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    hope the donation helps!
    We're all with you!!
  • hi Vitaliy,
    can you see any possibility for a 4:3 aspect by now (and will it ever be possible for AVCHD)?
    thanks.
  • Hi Vitaly,
    thank you for all your job. I just made a report with my (EN)GH2. It's about 3D printers, Fab Labs in France and the coming revolution of open source objects. It's called "Fabuleux Labos", lasts 3', has english subtittle and I really should like you to watch it http://www.youtube.com/user/PlaneteReporter , in the playlist "Finalistes..." or/and in the thumb-index «Voter» if you like it.
    As many Europans, I wish 25p for avchd and hdmi, and 70% zebra.
    Thanks again,
    Olivier
  • In upcoming days I'll be doing various boring things, like rewriting few IDA scripts, addign some code to utilities so thay could be used for GH2, etc.
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    are you already able to load any new (modified) firmware on GH2?
  • >are you already able to load any new (modified) firmware on GH2?

Right now I do not have a body, some software is not ready anyway, and we need proper patches also (they are in half baked, and, of course, completely untested state).
  • >of course, completely untested state
    Of course! But I guess that to test it should be loaded on a GH2 ... I doubt you'll have some kind of software emulator.. Right?
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    can you say closer when your firmware for gh2 will see the light of the world?
    This week? or next month?

Thanks for your work...
    mk
  • >This week? or next month?

It is too early to tell. Please read my previous replies why exactly.
    Definitely not this or next week :-)
  • Hi Vitaliy

Thanks for all your hard work. I know it's not easy. How possible will it be to change the Japanese GH2 menus into English?

• FIY V., my UK stock GH2 uses 1.0E (January '11 serial no).

(found the temporary service mode : )

So 'E' is probably the recording-limited PAL firmware?
  • >So 'E' is probably the recording-limited PAL firmware?

No.
    1.0E is latest known firmware version.
    Firmware is all the same for all regions, etc.
  • Will it be possible for European models to have 30 frames @ 1080i and 60 frames @ 720p?