Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @shian : This is like Facebook, if you right click the time of post (April 12 in that case) you get a direct link to the post: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/55553#Comment_55553 ;)

• One request, when posting videos on vimeo or youtube that have been graded in ColorGHear, please mention CGT in the description or credits. Help perpetuate the movement, as it were. I will be eternally grateful.

• @Fontee http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/55553#Comment_55553

...is the workflow laid out. Or watch the working with sequences/automatic duck tutorial, it's all in there.

• Hey Shian,

Having alot of success with CGT so far. After a lot of bouncing the footage around different programs I thought to ask you what the best workflow is using these programs to preserve quality.

1. 5D 2 RGB
    2. Final Cut Pro
    3. After Effects

Final Output would be to Vimeo.

Just wondering how to deal with the outputting from each program, to best preserve quality the whole way through - and lose the least amount of quality or original picture through compression.

Best,

Matt

• Was wondering if anyone could help with a quick question regarding AE 5.5. Is there a setting to achieve the same as using the CAPS LOCK button? I use VNC to connect to my computer when I'm not at home and sometimes I need to render a project but cannot send the "CAPS LOCK" button to my host computer. So I was wondering if there was a setting I could change to achieve the same thing.

• Cloud is very good option, especially for indie guys, as most of our members. As I remember it'll work since 11 May.

• Yeap. The trial first. Things are changing only faster.

• @stonebat

Just get cloud subscription and try :-) Or try trial.

• @shian Was CS6 worth the upgrade from CS5?

• @Shian I ported them a few days ago as well with no problems. Also, I recently finished a reel of projects I've worked on in various roles usually as DP, editor, and colorist (heh if you can call it that yet). There is a grading section where I show the before and after of shots I graded almost all exclusively with ColorGhears.

• I've already ported them into CS6 with no problems. No need for new GHears, they are totally forward compatible. I will be adding some new GHears thanks to some new functionality in CS6, but everything that you have now works just fine in 6

• Will there be a new Ghears for CS6? I'm wondering if install works the same for CS6?

• You still haven't told us which filters you are using. They might have a big impact.

• Just little better performance sounds disappointing where it's taking me 1 hour to render one minute composition.

• It seems a little better to me - or at least the memory management seems better. There is a "switching to foreground" message that pops up under your current frame count to let you know you're now writing to the disk cache, I believe.

AE multiframe render settings could use a tutorial of their own, I think. I'm running 14gb of RAM but I find if I give AE more than 8gb there's eventually a bottleneck. Plus you have to figure out how much RAM to give each instance, etc, with some plugins working better with 2gb and so on.

• The Capital key trick doesn't work sometimes. So I kill the composition window just before rendering.

BTW did AE CS6 improve the rendering performance?

• Part of it might be the H264 part. In my experience it takes forever if hyper threading not enabled, or if not on a hyper threading capable machine. Also, H264 might not support simultaneous frames to be rendered. I only do ProRes and DnxHD out of AE cuz QT Pro does a so much better job with H264 encoding than AFX. Also, remember RAM is king, the more processors and RAM you throw at it the better, and yeah.... GHrain Killer is awesome but it will drag your system down quite a bit. It's very render intensive. Not as intensive as Neat Video, but still pretty intense.

My old iMac duo core took 17 hours to process Singularity and it was 10 minutes, no GHrain Killer, lots of layers 7 and sometimes 10. My new iMac i7, 16GB, with hyper threading is 4 times as fast. It just screams through my renders on everything. But I've noticed that render times in Davinci on the same machine are comparable to CGT in AFX. Any time you do this type of grading will sometimes be a render hit.

• I never had that kind of render times i7 870 @ 2.93Ghz 16GB unless I threw in some heavy processing filters like warp stabiliser with synthesize edges or noise reduction (like GHrain killer).

Simple color adjustment layers are mostly instant.

Now that multiprocessing disabled is most likely the culprit.

• @tonalt, from my experience that seems about right. I guess it just depends on how much you are pushing the footage. I know the other day I exported a 1min clip and it took 5-6hours(that was the longest render I've had thus far for a 1min clip, but I was testing something and had ghrain killer a little high). Then again, I also rendered a 2min clip last week that only took about an hour. Some GHears require a longer render time, I know GHrain killer adds quite a bit of render time.

• Is it normal that 3,5min video rendering takes 7 hours? I have 5-6 adjustment layers, mostly those that are used in tutorial videos all the time. I'm rendering simple H.264 20Mbit/s video so I could just upload it straight to youtube.

AE CS 5.5, Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-920, 15GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB... multiprocessing didn't work for rendering (gave mysterious error).

• After one evening, I was able to do this. Thanks shian!

You can use Sony Vegas as NLE. Just save project as "Edit Protocol Compliant AAF File (*.aff)" and install Automatic Duck plugin (needed for AE CS 5.5) http://www.automaticduck.com/products/download/ for *.aaf importing.

Using AE is completely new to me so I guess I still need to watch many of Shian's videos :)

cat_original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 442K
    cat_graded2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 522K
  • Get dat cash money, @shian ! Thanks for all your hard work. Tried to fiddle with Resolve but keep coming back to the CF/CGT workflow.

• OK, got hired to shoot some stuff this week, so The film School Tutorials will be delayed a bit. :( Sorry.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions