Personal View site logo
35mm F1.4 Samyang or Rokinon Prime Lens
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry for my poor English but I am interested in a Samyang 35mm Nikon mount for my GH2 and I think I understood that there are problems using it with a matte-box. Someone could give me an explanation? Another question I want to do is, with Samyang etc and I use the zoom to focus on the area? thanks

• One of my favorite lenses. What kind of problem?

• @Jspatz or anybody, which adaptor would you recommend to use this lens with the GH2? thanks in advance

• I love this lens as well. Can't be more happier with it. I use it with Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS EF Lens to MFT Micro 4/3.

• Here is color graded snapshot from my short documentary using the 35mm lens.

Jan-Majcher1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • I prefer Nikon versions.

• Is there any difference between the canon or nikon versions? =) Thanks @tommyboy for the info on the adapter

• Yes, the Nikon version is focusing to the opposite direction.

So, it depends on what you are used to, since it can be very annoying to always try to correct the wrong way when shooting…

• Thanks @Nomad Think I will go with the canon, 35mm video lens. =)

• Nikon/Pentax versions have focus confirmation chip.

• Does barrel extend when focusing, breathing ?

• I assume Nikon/Pentax versions focus confirmation chip doesn't work with GH2

• @apix: No electrical connections work on anything that is not: micro 4/3 rd's- 4/3 rd's

• Thanks @alcomposer for the info Think I will go with a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter for canon and samyang 35mm video lens. Thanks for all the advice and review.

• I've been using the Samyang 35mm on a few of the DSLR's lately. I would say it suits the Canon 5D, the best in terms of usable focal length range. However it breathes very noticeably when racking focus making it unusable for large focus pulls. On APS-C sized sensor its the equivalent of 56mm so you get a standard FoV.

I have yet to try it on M4/3 which may be the most interesting of the lot due to it's crop factor. The more the image is cropped from the center, the better it will be for those focus pulls as the 'breathing' becomes less noticeable.

Eye-lash sharp :)

• Anyone use the Nikkor 35mm AI-S? How's the breathing on this lens compared to the Samyang 35mm?

• With the Nikkor 35mm f2 I tested the breathing on a vertical pillar about 3m away from me pulling from minimum focus to infinity. I left empty space of about 10cm at the side of the pillar, after the pull the pillar filled the frame. I would say if you want to do focus pulls, do them very slowly as to blend in with the image shift and/or plan your framing so it doesn't become an issue.

I will test both lenses on AF-100 when I can and post the results.

• Thanks for doing the test. It will be interesting.

• May be it'll be good idea to make special topic for breathing tests?
    What do you think, guys?

• Isn't this already discussed on "Video Friendly Lenses" topic? But possibly crowd sourcing could give a definitive Yes-No.

• I found this test ...

• @joeevento

I moved both videos to http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2834/breathing-tests-of-various-lenses

So, I removed one test here as it is not related to Samyang 35mm