Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
35mm F1.4 Samyang or Rokinon Prime Lens
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • I have the same thing, small rattle of something moving like few mm's. It doesn't affect the lens' performance as far as I'm concerned and you can only hear it if you shake it which you don't during videoing.

• The lens has heavy lens breathing. So it's not common to see focus pulling on this lens. The biggest advantage of this lens is corner to corner sharpness at 1.4.

• Mine feels like the entire inside lens casing is moving. Not something small but it does work. The breathing seems to be a bit worse than the Canon mount I have.

• can we assume that the cine version of this lens would have no breathing issues?

• To me it looks like this is the exact same lens only with built-in gears. My prediction is it will have the exact same chracteristics.

• @jules I think a 35mm cine version would probably require a total redesign to prevent it breathing. The 85mm version seems to have very little in the way of breathing.

• strange though - it clearly has built in FF gear. what's the point if it breathes so much?

• @jules I think these were all originally designed at still camera lenses. As it turned at they are fast, sharp wide open, inexpensive and have become popular for shooting video. As stated my Rokinon 85mm breathes very little compared to most of my other still lenses.

It's a shame that the 35mm seems to breathe quite a bit. However I think Samyang could do well if they designed and released a full range of proper (no breathing etc) cinema prime lenses in the style of the Zeiss compact cinema primes.

I reckon a set of Samyang cinema prime lenses that could sell for about $1k each would go like hotcakes!

• So you can't control the aperture on this lens if you're using a canon ef adapter to micro 4/3?

• @ryanpw aperture ring is on the lens. so yes you can control, just not from within the camera.

• ^ Thanks. Might have to start pinching my pennies to get this one...

• @ryanpw sorry, typo in my comment - i missed out the NOT! you can't control it electronically from within the camera, instead you just set it on the lens itself...

• I have asked Samyang about the breathing issue on the new Cine lens 35mm T1.5 and it remains unresolved. They did not see it as an issue to fix :(

I guess making it not breathe would skyrocket the cost so I'm still thankful of having such a great lens but will need to plan shots / avoid large focus pulls.

• It's so weird that the 35 has such a bad breathing problem but the 85 is fantastic and the 24 is supposed to be much better as well. I don't get it?

• @vicharris

It is not weird. It is pretty normal. 35mm was designed as extremely good still lens. If you want to remove breathing it'll mean new problems in other areas. Design always mean some compromises.

• Does anyone know if it would work to put an anamorphic lens on this, or is it simply too big? I have an Iscomorphot 16 2x and I'm looking for lenses to use with it, you see. My generally most used lens last year was a borrowed Samyang 35 mm, but I never used it for anamorphic shooting. Great lens!

• @mlysbakken

+1

Until someone can try this lens with an LA7200 I'll be on tenterhooks to hear how good the combo is as a candidate for my wish-list prime for interviews and narratives where there's time to light, set focus & aperture once, and shoot lots.

• @goanna, I'm absolutely 100% sure the LA7200 will work on the Samyang 35/1.4. But, I don't think it's a good combination, as the LA7200 can only be used from f4 onwards depending on the subject distance (even worse if close). Even with diopters it will be a pain in the arse to use with the LA7200.

• Hi,

I have just bought this lens (under Walimex brand) (Nikon mount) and I am not being able to put the adapter in the lens. I am being quite cautious but I have used the adapter with a couple of Nikon lenses without problems before.

Am I doing something wrong? can you recommend some nikon-m4/3 adapter (cheap if possible) that works perfect with this lens?

Thanks!

Adapter1p.jpg
    1168 x 876 - 94K
    Adapter2p.jpg
    1168 x 876 - 88K
    Lens1p.jpg
    1168 x 876 - 96K
    Lens2p.jpg
    1168 x 876 - 76K
  • At the film school I went to last year we used the Samyang 35 in combination with AG-AF100 cameras. The version we had was with 4/3-mount, and we used Panasonic's own 4/3-to-m43 adapter to fit it to the camera. I haven't tried any other version of the lens, but I can inform you that I noticed very little breathing when racking focus on it. I see some people here complaining about too much breathing, so maybe it varies between the different versions? In that case the 4/3 version is highly recommended :)

• get a nikon G to m4/3 adaptor. The same one you would use on the Carl Zeiss ZFs v1. i use one and it works like a charm

• @mlysbakken Nope, all the same glass inside.

• Thanks, i finally order the one that is recommended at the beginin of this tread with the tripod mount... eager to try it...

• @Pedro_ES I changed all my glass to Nikon mount and use this adapter when I'm not using MFT lenses and love it. Everything is locked down nice and tight, it's sturdy and with just one mount, changes glass is easy on shoots, espicially with the advanced MB that's sold in the deals section here. It's nice to have a prime selection of all the same mount that looks good for the people cutting the checks and performs amazing as well! My collection, Tokina 11-16mm, Rokinon 35mm (the one in this thread) and 85mm, Nikon 105mm AIS and Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8(The old Japanese Version. Not the new, crappy one) The Rokinon 24mm might be next!