Personal View site logo
Another GF2 stable settings
  • This patch is inspired by two GH2 patches: LPowell's Flow Motion and Balazer's Cake.

The key features are:

1) All I/P/B frames are the same quality. You know, Panasonic uses worse quality for P and B frames.

2) Use GOP tables to control max average bitrate, much better than frame limit and fallback etc., for optimal quality and stability.

3) GOP 6, I-B-B-P-B-B-I. I always feel 15/12 is way too long but 3 is too short and cannot take the advantage of B frames.

4) Reliable 4GB file spanning.

5) Video plays fine in camera.

6) No compatibility issues with video editing software.

Fully tested, no crash yet even under the extreme conditions such as fast panning from very dark to very detailed, very bright areas. Average bitrate is about 45Mbps, Class-4 works fine, but class-10 is recommended for reliable 4GB spanning.

Attached setc.ini has been fully tested, not a single failure; sete.ini has some small changes for more standard 90/72 GOP length, should be even more stable.

Image quality and motion smoothness are simply superb, incredible for a $200 camera, I've never seen such sharp video from any GF2. I'm so extremely happy that I donated to VK right after I watched this:

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @pvdog I think that I will try instantly thanks!

• @pvdog I'll check it out as well.

• Check your original file, the 1080 on youtube has huge macroblocks (1/8") where the shadows should be under the gable roofs of the houses and the dog fur even when in focus is a just a muddy mess. Everything else appears to be sharpened leaves. It might only be youtube encode but i suspect something major is wrong. Obviously you see different, so maybe post some screen grabs so we can see something of the original file, otherwise nothing i see here will convince me to change from the CBrandin patch that stonebat posted in the other thread.

BTW, Shouldn't this be in the GF2 stable settings thread?

• @pvdog This setup thinks at present that it is the best until now in GF2. If manual focus is shot, I will think that it was better!

• 1080 fsh seems to work well in a test situation. I don't understand what you mean by:
    "1) All I/P/B frames are the same quality. You know, Panasonic uses worse quality for P and B frames."

here are results:

Settings Tested:
    @pvdog setc 1080/FSH
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/1c/fbd2ad3b0ff7366519b8a40eed9f88.ini

Environment:
    GF2 with kit 14-42 lens and PNY 16GB class 10 20MB pointing at 1366-768 laptop playing 3 second slideshow of stress images AFC

Results:
    Does the file span successfully at 4GB? Yes
    Can the file be played back on the camera? Yes
    Were there any errors? None Observed

Streamparser:

pvdog-setc-1080fsh.jpg
    1291 x 678 - 225K
  • There are two facts about my comment on "same quality for I/P/B..."

1) If you look at the ini file or PTool, you can see: Scaling for I/P/B and fallback all have the same value. Stock values are worse for P, B and fallback. So my patch ensures constant good frame quality for all GOP frames and always - no fallback. I learned this trick from LPowell's very new Flow Motion patch.

This is also why I'm not interested in the AQ4 patch (All to detail), because it is long GOP with lots of P and B frames and I don''t know if it still uses the stock coarser scaling for P/B frames and fallback.

2) If you look at the GOP tables (under GOP Related), you can see: the stock values for I is much lower than P and B, putting a lot more weight on the coarser P and B frames. For example, 1 for I, 4 for P and 10 for B, i.e., P gets 4 times of weight over I and B 10 times. My patch lowers those ratios to 2 and 1.5. This trick is recently discovered by Balazer in his Cake patch.

We all know, I frames are the most important and they should take up more part into a GOP. More I frames mean larger file size and faster cards, but 32GB class-10 cards are extremely cheap now for only $17, can still give you 2 hours non-interrupted recording even after this patch!

Basically my patch combines all the latest great discoveries by LPowell and Balazer together with my own tweaks, it should be the very best by far, for both GF2 and GH2.

• Took a quick video outdoors using this ini with a minolta 50mm f1.4 lens with nd8 filter and cpl filter, shutter locked at 1/30.

Original MTS

edit @pvdog thanks for explaining, not sure I totally get it, but I'm a little closer now :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions