Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • So, the 1080 is key in AVCHD mode in terms of detail than in the 720p? Interesting.

• In 720 mode 50% of the bitrate is wasted on the duplicate frames which get discarded when you render the final video. So in fact you are better off shooting 1080i and deinterlacing. 720 mode is not real 50/60 frames, each frame is a duplicate. Yes there is a noticeable image quality difference between hacked and unhacked, the hacked version has more detail in less exposed areas and subjects in motion.

• OK...understood. How did using stock 1080i compared to your hacked double bitrate 1080i? :)

I must be a little confused. I use 720 because if the bitrate is the same as 1080, 720 should be sharper and contain more information per pixel than 1080? I just shoot slow panning shots and interviewing people so I was thinking 720p was better for that panning motion. Does it take MUCH MORE fast movement to make 1080i look wobbly? Maybe this new hack that you're using makes 1080i just as stable as 720p? I use Final Cut Pro to edit the files after.

• Frankly I used only 1080 mode in GF2. At least 720p mode didn't crash.

About the 1/2 shutter speed, that's a good point. Let's talk about it again when PTool supports full manual control.

• @stonebat I'm new to this hacking of my GF2. It was nice to see that we have a chance at getting better quality video than stock. Your AVCHD settings in post #2, did you compare it to stock? Is this 32Mbps a lot better than stock 17Mbps @ 720p?

I guess the time-lapse function you added can't be as smooth as using a GH because we cannot set our shutter speed to 1/2 second?

• Nereo, holmes6, I created a specific thread for discussion on this, can you use that thread please. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2628/gf2-flicker-reduction-behavior#Item_2

• @rambo In P mode, shutter 1/50 locked, with manual lens for manual aperture, you can modify the ISO/GAIN in video mode: before shooting push the wheel button on the right, the exposure indicator became yellow. Now you can change the exposition. The gf2, when you start rec, begin to compensate the ISO, but not completly. If you use all the regulation range you can appreciate well ...

• I was just messing around with manual lens @f1.4 and flicker red (1/50, 1/60, 1/120, etc) outside in bright sun.. All the settings returned blown out overexposed images.

Switched to the kit 14-42 Panasonic, Aperture mode, wide open @f3.5 14mm 1/120 flicker red set.. start video capture and can see the aperture close down (if i turn the camera around and look in the lens) until the video is properly exposed.

So how do we dupe the "fake" shutter speed unlock? (edit: read above about adjusting manual aperture, will try this)

• I need more tests before I feel comfortable to release the ini. But so far very promising, file size varies from 45M to over 90M, can still be played in camera, no crash yet. If a card is too slow (class-4), it'll post an error message but no crash.

• @pvdog can you attach the ini/zip file?

• Back to topic: I have got stable 70M GOP 3 1080 30 fps. I-B-B-I, average iframe size 656,578. Passed stress test for 13 min with the 4 images posted in this thread, spanning at 4 GB. Need a sunny day to test more on stability.

GF2GOP3.png
    1278 x 683 - 121K
  • @pvdog and @rambo 'It's probably the shutter that is changing at f8 and then again at f22, but that is a large aperture range f2.8>f8 in which to use a ND or variND and have manual control. Who shoots video at f8, not many people?.'

I actually thought perhaps ISO was changing .. at f16 rather than shutter speed .. I haven't looked that close @pvdog .. Film some fast motion or some flourescent to see if it's shutter that's being adjusted

• Pvdog, i agree with you that the camera appears to unlock the shutter at a trigger point. If you read above post by kavadni, kavadni 11:08AM @rambo.. """""my observation with Minolta manual lens is: Shutter stays locked Changing ISO had no effect on exposure'. The ISO appears to stay locked from f2.8 to f8 .. at both f11 and f22 the ISO changes .. it's attempting to give me the f8 exposure .. I think""

It's probably the shutter that is changing at f8 and then again at f22, but that is a large aperture range f2.8>f8 in which to use a ND or variND and have manual control. Who shoots video at f8> f22 not many people?.

I'm still running some test to see what is really happening here and post the results.

What i can tell you at this stage in M mode, if you set aperture, on a manual lens and then change shutter red from 1/50 to 1/120 the expected exposure change happens in video footage consistent with a doubling of the shutter speed. Try it.

R

• No I don't know how to or where to learn how to shoot 1/50 in a sunny day without a ND filter. Let's put it this way: even if the shutter is indeed locked to 1/50 but mostly aperture is 22, do you really want it?

@Keith: I knew that, see my initial post. I assumed all my talks so far is based on without a ND filter. If Rambo has been using a ND filter, then he and I were talking two different things.

My whole point is: if you set flicker reduction to 1/50 or 1/60 and the day is too bright, GF2 will unlock the shutter automatically and immediately and use whatever shutter speed it thinks it should use to achieve a proper exposure.

• @pvdog: ND filters are a videographer's best friend. :)

• @pvdog, mate if you don't know how to shoot 1/50 in ANY lighting conditions then i suggest you` read up on both basic video and photo exposure. 99% of people on this site shoot 1/50 or 1/60 almost exclusively.

• It does not matter what lens, how can any lens be able to use shutter speed 1/50 in a bright day?

• @pvdog, yep just did that, still and video where exposed exactly the same. Now here's something for you to try, put a manual lens on the camera and do the same test again.

• What evidence do you have other than the fake # on the LCD screen, to prove that shutter is really locked ? Go outside in a bright day and take a photo in M mode with iso100, f22 and 1/50, and see how's your photo look like. This is my evidence.

• @kavadni, yes I noticed those two little "jumps" as i adjusted the canon aperture, it seems to move then recover. Still that is a very usable range where you know shutter and Iso is locked. Maybe of interest to Vitaliy when working on the gf2 manual controls.

I wonder if this is connected to the extended iso patch?

• @rambo.. my observation with Minolta manual lens is:

Shutter stays locked Changing ISO had no effect on exposure

The ISO appears to stay locked from f2.8 to f8 .. at both f11 and f22 the ISO changes .. it's attempting to give me the f8 exposure .. I think

• @stonebat, you have some manual lens, can you confirm Iso is disabled in manual mode, shutter locked with flicker red. ISo appears to be locked at 100 and only the canon aperture ring can change exposure.

• @Rambo, quite interesting. I can't wait to get a EF to m43 adapter for my Canon EF 50mm, and see what it's like. I like to know what you come up with.

• @pvdog what evidence do you have of the shutter unlocking, all my daylight footage is definatley 1/50 ? There is no strobing on any subject moving across the frame.

I'll tell you what I have found, with a manual lens (Canon FD 50) on the gf2, the ISo is disabled when the camera is in rec manual mode (m). The shutter is definately locked, changing flicker red from 1/50 to 1/120 lowers the exposure of the recorded video. Changing ISo has absolutely no effect. Interesting. More test coming.

• Is there any settings for GF2 allows 24p1080 or not? At my experience I would like buy GF2 as camera B for long shots for GH2@24p (or for timelapses) I've read the topic but after all I don't clearly understand about preferred resolution for film at pair with GH2.