Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • @fesem 1.6Mb is kinda low end for I-frame size. That's only 0.2MB.

@seanpj I don't know anything about 480p. I just followed the instruction from the timelapser.net. It worked for 720p.

• @seanpj - Select VGA, not WVGA... The ptool settings for 480p affect that setting and not the WVGA one.

• @videohq Good analysis. The size of I frame is important.

You’d want taller I-frame on detailed static scene. GOP3 would require much higher bitrate to get tall I-frames. 55Mbps? 66? 77? I don't know.

On a fast moving scene, more motion blur would give fewer details. Shorter I-frame would do it. If you can stabilize the motion with a rig or a steadicam or whatever, you’d capture more details. Motion stabilization is critical for capturing good details.

About your test, I presume it was a hand-held. Then the tall P-frames look assuring. They are as tall as I-frames. The B-frames are shorter but only by half the height of I-frames. All I can say is that the newly hacked firmware’s AVCHD codec seems working beautifully with default GOP.

The 32Mbps settings give about 1 hour recording time on 16GB memory card. That’s good enough for me. I’m not saying it’s the best settings though. There gotta be some magical settings. But the final result is as good as the weakest link. The bitrate is no longer the weakest link ;)

• gf2 + driftwood quantum x v5b sandisk 8gb 30mb/s kit lens 14-42 unedited footage:

all in all, it worked fine... there was 1 total system freeze though (after stopping recording, with file saving symbol on screen). i had to put out the battery to restart the camera... on-camera replay worked. replay on computer worked perfectly fine, but i was confronted with minor problems in editing process, which i haven't had before (kdenlive). spanning not tested. not analyzed by stream parser.

• @holmes6 Thanks, will try. How many times have I run into these kinds of problems by not checking things exhaustively.

• Which setup do you use regularly after all? Although many things were tried, I am not decided easily.

• I try Quantum X v5b 'Pictoris' VBR of @driftwood for a while.

• Got a GF2 today... Very exciting... Will donate asap... BTW, there's so many patches around it's hard to figure them all out... I'm after 720p PAL GOP1 AVCHD. Are any of the patches preferable over others, for my intended settings? Thanks!

• @videohq can you attach the ini/zip file? Thanks I am very interested in your setup.

• @videohq thanks a lot I try this one soon really thanks

• Driftwood 'Cluster' v1 With Orion (AVC Intra adapted) Matrix VBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 9th March 2012 1am

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras. Stats: Upto 72M 24p, Upto 36M HBR, Upto 36M 720p modes. (*All REC MODES include B frames)

INFO: Very simple Long GOP cluster of i/p/b frames principle, Low Bitrate, conservative settings for all round use with a nice matrix for Type 6 card users. After so many requests from non GOP1'ers to provide the Orion Matrix in a Long GOP configuration I settled on this one to hopefully satisfy the need. I like 12 GOP / 15 GOP for Long GOP - as far as editing goes and converters out there, the Ibbpbbpbbpbb (12 GOP PAL) and ibbpbbpbbpbbpbb (15 GOP NTSC) is the most universally supported GOP structure outside of Intra. A nice cluster of i/p and b frames and appropriately titled methinks. Hopefully, this will keep long duration seekers, type 6 card users, and HBR peeps happy.

Driftwood 'Cluster' v1 - Long GOP 12 for PAL users - 15 for NTSC - sete.zip
    HBR 30p Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 14.26.38.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    720p60 Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 14.08.55.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 13.28.36.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • @driftwood could you give us some more info on Cluster V1 patch?

Thanksssssssssssss

• Here's my testing of the hack so far. In Cinema/iA mode. Seems okay at 30+Mbps. Wish in low light conditions it could be more clearer -- maybe it's just me for a first timer.

PanGf2TestVid1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 71K
    PanGf2TestVid2.jpg
    699 x 391 - 55K
  • i need some clarification here: gf2 iso and aperture settings are automated in any mode, aren't they? a work-around is a manual lens with aperture ring. at least, until vk integrates a full manual mode...

• Hi all... one question. If you could choose between canon 50d magic lantern and Lumix GF2, wich one would you prefer for shooting video? Thanks!

• Franco, even with a manual lens the iso will still change, hopefully Vk will have a fix for this soon. Also would be good if Vk could also reintroduce the 720p59.94fps->29.97fps" patch, as the 50/60fps is just doubled frames on the GF2 720 mode. Would allow more bitrate like in LPowells Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch for GH1. For some reason, this setting was not ported over to the latest pools.

• @videohq, thanks for the suggestion. I always assume that ISO lower than 100 would be less noise (probably for pictures), as I tried both the raising of ISO, adjust aperture. I will take your suggestions to heart. I'm quite new to the whole photo/video thing in DSLR, and I'm learning through here. I too second Rambo for advanced features in PTools, it's a valuable program. So glad I came here.

• I have noticed that GF2 has the best animation photography in iA mode under the present circumstances.

• I wait calmly now which will not have a big change until manual control is attained by the next ptool GF2.

• Actually apart from the lack of shutter control, My Color mode can dial up a nice flat palette to keep the red channel under control. That car is a very bright red normally. Only filter was a Marumi ND4. Lens was 14mm pancake. CBrandin 44hack

• @videohq Is it a new setup? very good . your setup is always good Please attach the ini file. thanks always!

• @Rambo Nice footage, you're using a GF2 right? lol And what hack did you use? Can you post the file or the link where you got it.

• Yes it's GF2 in ""My Color Mode"" . It allows you to dial down the color profile. No CC in post.

Hack is same one Stonebat is using. The vimeo file i uploaded is only 720p 10Mbps, but this was shot in 1080.

seta.ini
    551B
  • @videohq Great! Good Job!