Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH6, final m43 camera, again with bad AF
  • 402 Replies sorted by
  • @EspenB

We perfectly saw this trend since GH3.

Note that lot of Panasonic camera related departments, especially management consume same amount of money as they did at the times of 10x more sales.

• I wonder how the GH6 will perform in low light vis-a-vis the GH5s?

• A short film made in South-Africa with the GH6:

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I wonder who produces the sensor.

• https://www.cined.com/panasonic-lumix-gh6-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-latitude/

without “dynamic range boost mode” the LUMIX GH6 at ISO800 performs worse than the Lumix GH5 II – showing about 6 stops of exposure latitude. With DR boost mode “ON” it is on a similar level with 7 stops in our standard CineD studio scene.

• @Eno and @EspenB

Double yikes! So... tell me the compelling reason(s) to purchase this camera over other offerings?

• Looks like a great wildlife cam, otherwise hoping a few things from this make it into the next iteration of the S series...if there is one!

• I'm bummed about the fan which can only go as low as "normal" in 5.7K.
    OTOH, my ZCam S6 is real 6K and it is completely silent.
    Was hoping that Panasonic would figure out the heat issues as they have in the past. Maybe a firmware update to allow "low" on 5.7K.
    I film music videos. I don't want fan noise on my audio, seriously.

• It seems like every camera influencer with more than 100 subscribes on YouTube have received a review unit of the GH6.

The must have shipped more than 100 pcs of GH6 cameras out to the sales force. Simply mind-boggling.

Rule #1: Do not talk about DFD autofocus.

Rule #2: Do not talk about DFD autofocus.

Rule #3: If someone yells "autofocus" or full frame pricing your career in influencer marketing is revoked.

• They Say what they get paid for ... there is this old saying " fallow the money to find out the truth"

• @EspenB

One thing I am proud of is that PV is in stop list :-)

Despite few good guys in Panasonic helped us with Japanese expo coverage. But it is not review and marketing.

• The first part of this video provides official reason for using DFD.

• Let's give a hand for @AndrewReid_EOSHD.

• For some reason @AndrewReid_EOSHD intial review video of the GH6 has been taken down.

In fact the whole story has been removed from the EOSHD web page.

I guess the DFD AF intro was to strong. :-p

"Andrew Reid @EOSHD Horrified at news today. I am removing the previous YouTube video. Although joke was at Putin's expense, I don't think it fits well even as satire given the crazy escalation today."

• The GH6 CDAF is unfortunately as expected: poor and unreliable!

If they don't want to sell, they don't want to sell!

• Sony A1 vs GH6 auto focus.

• @EspenB

It's painful to watch Death from Defocus in action, it stirs painful pulsing and defocused memories!

For what it's worth, the GH6 is a nice low ISO and manual focus camera.

• @Eno Your summation is compelling. So, codecs and bitrates (that most people don't really require) aside, why upgrade to the GH6? If you're going to manually focus, Gh5s is better in low light with more than adequate bitrates. As some have said, a lower price point, say around $1500-$1700 USD, could shift the demand curve for this camera, but Panasonic have painted themselves into an awkward corner vis-a-vis pricing on their existing cams. At $2200, Panasonic are tempting consumers to consider other compelling video alternatives in a similar price ballpark.

It will be interesting to watch initial sales. We all know that the camera will require some firmware updates based on early camera testing to address some problems already witnessed (@AndrewReid_EOSHD).

It's plausible that they may have to sweeten the deal with add-ons and discounted packages to gain a critical mass of early adopters. We've seen that before.

Time will tell...

• Are my eyes deceiving me or is there something nicer about the image coming from this sensor than what we've seen from the previous m43 and from mirrorless cameras in general? Andrew's used the word "thicker", or something like that, in reference to the image/codec. But it just appears a step up from the typical camera to me on my monitor. Maybe halfway between the normal camera and a raw camera. Am I off base here?