Personal View site logo
Chinese invasion: TP-Link
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • > So, if instead of 60km/h you run at 80km/h, your fancy Mercedes could look much worse then cheapest car.

If Mercedes from '90 crash with Trabant from '90, which driver has higher chance to go home on his own legs?

>Most manufacturers make cars locally now :-)

I'm sorry for being ignorant, but I can't really recall any car brand from post Soviet countries which would be massively exported to non-post Soviet countries. Are these made just in small quantities for locals?

>It is not stealing.

I do believe in Intellectual property. I'm not sure about whole patent and copyright question in this case, but I believe, that stealing and idea/design is theft. And making illegal duplicates is in that case stealing.

>Any primers of such companies? What kind of parts?

Some major Japanese companies. For instance solar panels.

>Good factories with very good conditions for workers exists.

I'm not saying they don't. I'm talking about my experiences and they were surely shocking. One of the companies I was working for had factories both in EU and China. With same machines. With only one exception. Those in China didn't have any safety equipment. Why? Because it was a few bucks cheaper and it was not needed...in China. Minimum protection against chemicals. Super-small flats with common toilet and showers. I wouldn't really call that normal apartments.

>If you want to find cheap and bad you could do it in any country.

Not exactly true. It's in fact very difficult to find something cheap produced in my country anymore. All these companies bankrupted and all these things are imported from China nowadays. It has one positive ironic effect though. Things produced in my country are starting to have a "stamp of quality" :) At least for locals...
  • >The whole "safety" argument is something I think is overrated.

It is not overrated, mostly it is bullshit.
    Read my remark about kinetic energy.
    It is made to sell you new car.
    And emission standards to force for to buy new car (if you did not lake safety lecture :-) ).
    Same with service parts costs (this is huge business, much more profitable then cars themselfs).
    If they wanted to build really safe cars tey'll make them as proper cars - with steel tubes skeleton, proper seats and proper belts. Look at any rally car. This things are safe.
    Normal cars... they are less dangerous :-)
  • The whole "safety" argument is something I think is overrated. Even if a car can't pass current crash test standards....what's the alternative to poor or low income people? Buy a used cheap car....a car that also wouldn't pass current safety standards most likely.

Safety and emissions standards could freeze at year 2000 levels and we'd be fine. That would also allow car makers to make cheaper cars instead of having to keep building up to the new standards and making cars more expensive because of engineering and build costs to meet new standards.

A car like the Smart, shouldn't cost over $10k....it should be $6-7k.
  • >http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118651314364590719.html

This is not facts.
    It is made by AutoReview journal (advertisement only yellow press).
    Sold 100% to major manufacturers.
    Locally they fight Chinese cars with all they can.
    I do not want to say that China make best cars (I don't care about it, really).
    But all this shit is ignoring simple fact that kinetic energy is proportional to mv^2.
    So, if instead of 60km/h you run at 80km/h, your fancy Mercedes could look much worse then cheapest car.

>To my knowledge, old Toyotas are still heavily exported to post Soviet countries

It's false. Not anymore :-)
    Most manufacturers make cars locally now :-)

>stealing is still stealing

It is not stealing.
    People are just lazy to read definition of "stealing".
    You can't steal something that resides with its owner.
    Its just some perverted logic.
    You can call it "illegal duplication". But this sounds not so nice as stealing, isn't it?
    People can start to suspect that something is fucked up here.

>I used to work for various Japanese companies which were using Chinese parts for its production. I also visited those Chinese factories. The quality was horrible, but it was cheap.

Any primers of such companies? What kind of parts?
    You make big generalizations, and that's bad.
    Good factories with very good conditions for workers exists.
    Salary is constantly increasing among all manufacturers.
    Most workers now live in normal apartments inside large houses.
    If you want to find cheap and bad you could do it in any country.
    Same for reverse.
  • >Suppy us facts.

I would be happy to find some charts. But I don't think there are many yet. You wouldn't find any Chinese cars on streets in my country. There are just tests. It's questionable, if they're really independent, but those results are always the same. e.g. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118651314364590719.html

>Middle class is all the same across many countries. Same motherfuckers.

I'm happy to be part of the middle class. It allows me to buy expensive things sometimes, but will not have heart attack in my 50s from stress about my business ;)

>This motherfuckrs could sell their mom to get this fancy old Toyota. Any logical reason?

To my knowledge, old Toyotas are still heavily exported to post Soviet countries. There was some news few years ago, when that Russian government wanted to prohibit cars with steering wheel on the right side and there was big protest from Russian taxi drivers claiming that these imported cars are very reliable.

>This motherfuckrs could sell their mom to get this fancy old Toyota. Any logical reason?...

Even if I put copyright and patent laws aside, stealing is still stealing and I can't agree that it's fine to do in order to get some real progress. But that's just about point of view I guess.

>Having contact with guys who constantly inspect Chinese factories and make orders I can say that it is complete bullshit. Utterly bullshit.

I used to work for various Japanese companies which were using Chinese parts for its production. I also visited those Chinese factories. The quality was horrible, but it was cheap. About 25% of those parts were bad and needed to be threw away. But still it was cheaper, that to produce them in some country, where you have to actually care about workers protection, insurance, pension etc.
  • >As well as Chinese don't believe in safety rules in general. No one believes nowadays Chinese cars. Even Chinese don't.

This is fucking propaganda.
    Suppy us facts.
    Like statistics of injures and deaths per 1000 cars for each manufacturer.
    So we could check if Chinese cars are in fact coffins on wheels.
    I want just to make slight warning, in our country such statistic proves that you are badly wrong.

> Our local automobile company is making big business selling cars in China, they are very popular among middle class.

Middle class is all the same across many countries. Same motherfuckers.
    I like how Ken told about this.
    If you own something fancy and costly it do not make you rich, quite the contrary, it tells that you dumped fucking load of money to other people.
    Same in USSR in late 80s.
    This motherfuckrs could sell their mom to get this fancy old Toyota. Any logical reason?
    It's fucking dandy.
    Well, it continued to be dandy for a while, but after this someone closed their factory or other place they worked and they were fucked.
    It happens that this had been same people who told motherfuckers via TV and press that old Toyotas are dandy.
    How strange is that?

>Well it's illegal to start with. It's like copying fashion brands, software, electronics etc.

And that so bad about all this?
    Generally, only one thing. Western countries developer soficticated copyrigh and patent laws to survive.
    Both laws must be dismanted for real progress and replaced by something totally different (and they will be dismanted by other countries during upcoming crysis period).
    As for illegal - it becomes illegal if original owner have international patent (and you can't patent "look" in many countries, you also can't patent algorithms in many countries :-) ) and he uses this patent to prevent making copies that are supplied to his market. Building something according to patent is not illegal, patent gives you right to stop someone and you must prove violation also (this is hard part), it is not automatic.

>But Chinese will not go the same way. The situation in China is very different

Having contact with guys who constantly inspect Chinese factories and make orders I can say that it is complete bullshit. Utterly bullshit.
  • What's wrong with that? Well it's illegal to start with. It's like copying fashion brands, software, electronics etc. Yes, manufacturers are worried they will be doomed. But not by Chinese inventions (at least not right now). But because they copy the product, steal its patents and produce it for much smaller budget (for obvious reasons).

Also I don't believe in independent car safety tests. As well as Chinese don't believe in safety rules in general. About a year ago I read about new Chinese cars which didn't even have airbags. No one believes nowadays Chinese cars. Even Chinese don't. Our local automobile company is making big business selling cars in China, they are very popular among middle class.

Yes, Japanese products had the same stamp. But Chinese will not go the same way. The situation in China is very different. The mentality is different. And the time is different. Instead of Chinese products getting better and better, more and more "used to be" quality companies are outsourcing in China and their product's quality went low. I believe that "Made in China" will never have a stamp of quality product.

PS: I do care where products I use were built. I don't mind using cheap Chinese products, but I buy them, because they are cheap. Because I wouldn't care much to throw them away if they don't suit me.
  • >It's not about shitty design, it's about copied design.

And that is wrong with it?
    This is a way to learn fast. You copy, then improve, then doing something original.
    As simple as that.

>And most Chinese cars are still not able to pass safety controls of EU.

As far as I understand the only reason is that EU is afraid that their car manufacturers will be doomed.
    I hope that you do not think that "independent car safety tests" ever existed.

>In general, the "Chinese quality" still has a stamp of shitty products.

Same had been true for Japan.
    All this stamps had been made by rich people for dumb motherfuckers.
    If you are not dumb, you don't give a fuck about them.
  • It's not about shitty design, it's about copied design. And most Chinese cars are still not able to pass safety controls of EU. Yes they will get better eventually...I wouldn't compare them to Korean cars, but to Japanese ones. They also copied design and patents from all around the World and their cars were bad. In general, the "Chinese quality" still has a stamp of shitty products.
  • All this "look" is very subjective thing.
    I don't give a shit about car looks.
    I don't want to be like motherfuckers who get out of pricey sports car with awful looking and dumb girl :-)
    I prefer reverse situation.
  • When I talk about cars I don't mean quality, I mean looks. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years, since I stopped paying attention to automotive news, but when I kept up...the Chinese made cars that made Daewoos look like BMWs.
  • Chinese already make very good cars, in fact they made much more cars then USA companies :-)
    As for routers and modems. They win competition hands down.
    Same will happen with smartphones.
  • Cars. But based on how long it took Korea to make good cars....it will be a while. :P
  • chinese reputable ebay sellers, chinese reputable e-commerce sites, chinese reputable brands... what's next?