Personal View site logo
Lanparte Gimbal for Smartphones and Gopro
  • Hi

I recently bought the Lanparte gimbal HHG (present at our deal) .

It is very well made and looks and feels well worth the money.

For a smartphone it works really well. You can balance the smartphone well to a hiorizontal position and then switch the gimbal on and it works great. Smooth flying.

Filmed with the Iphone 6 First time I used the gimbal, so there is room for improvement while handling it. But it is really smooth.

I ordered the gopro case and attached the gopro to it. But when putting a gopro on it you cannot balance it. It has too much weight to the right front, depending on which version of the gopro your use. The Hero 4 silver silver has different balance as the Hero 4 black due to the screen for example. The Hero 3 is different again..

This is a gopro hero 4. image

You see it is out of balance. So I attached some weights to balance it otherwise the gimbal has to work too much just to have it horizontal and in balance.

image image

Then I contacted the retailer and told him about the problems. I send some pictures what I did and how I did and he said he would contact Lanparte. A few days later he already got feedback. He has received another load of gimbals which have now an adjustable weight attached.

image image

The old version only had the weight adjustable forward or backwards and now you can also adjusted sidewise. They send me a new gimbal and I can send the old one back. It will arrive tomorrow probably. This is great customer service.

• 36 Replies sorted by
  • Ah, the HHG-01 just keeps giving! Of course there are now the GoPro Hero6/7 cameras which have a different form factor and weight to the 3/4/5 series. Not only will they not fit the old HHG-01, but they need a different position and more ballast to balance.

So I set about designing and 3D printing a new camera/ballast carrier, and whilst I was there, I realised that being able to see what the GoPro was taking was a real advantage in terms of framing and cinematic use. I designed a mobile phone carrier to clamp onto the HHG-01 handle.

I also like to use a gimbal with a pole, for high and low level shots as well as a poles ability to removing some of the stepping action as you walk with a gimbal. I designed a mirror image clamp and another mobile phone carrier for the pole, so that you can see what the GoPro is doing even at a distance.

Here's a results/design/construction overview:

• I'd completely forgotten that I'd done this with the HHG-01 --- it's still going well and always goes on holiday with us, and if you start wondering about some shots -- I use a long pole with a bracket and rubber bands to hold the gimbal like a massive selfie stick.

• For those who are asking if it works with the Xiaomi Yi camera, yes it does, here is a short clip I did with these two together recently:

• @lanparte. Is it possible to mount a Sony WX350 using the smartphone adapter to the gimbal. The Sony is certainly light enough and the video quality is decent.

• @lanparte - for which gimbal? The LA3D? Thanks

• Lanparte also supplies the action camera frame for either gopro session and xiaoyi camera.

• @vk - good news!

• @mrbill

We can arrange this :-)

• I emailed Kath at Lanparte to check out compatibility with other GoPro type cameras, specifically the Xiaomi Yi cam. She said this one should work - any chance of seeing this on a PV deal at some point?

http://www.lanparte.com/html/Accessories_354.html

• Anybody tried a Xiaomi Yi cam in one of these lanparte gimbals?

• Used the HHG-01 on a job about 'Shoulder Surfing', Really easy to use when you're not throwing it around!

Actually the subject matter is quite important these days.

• Finally got some nicer weather so I was able to go out and shoot some more with the gopro and the Lanparte Gimble. First off, this thing is great. The setup is super easy. Also, this was an extremely windy day and it didn't seem to have much of an effect, if at all, on the lanparte. Very solid and stable, and there were several shots where I was running very fast. This was only my second time using this gimble and I have to say I'm very happy with how smooth this thing is. I can only imagine that the more I use it the better I'll get at getting smooth shots. Also, the battery on this thing is great. You'll probably be switching batteries out of your gopro several times before you even have to thing about recharging the gimle battery. So, super easy setup, very solid and stable, very long battery life. It's every think I hoped it would be and more. It completely exceeded my expectations. Now, I just need to find the sweet spot for render settings for better quality youtube videos, haha. Not happy with youtube compression. If anyone has any tips or secrets on that, let me know. Here is my video.

• The weather here in Northern Indiana has been a little crazy so I haven't been able to get out and get the test footage I want. So for now I wanted to share this short video which is my first time using the Lanparte Gimbal with my gopro hero 3+ black edition. Keep in mind this is my first time using it. I have learned some tricks on how to use the gimbal more effectively and I hope that within the next week I will be able to get some better test footage to share on here. But for now, here is my first test using the Lanparte Gimbal with gopro hero 3+ black edition.

• More testing at running speed; still very pleased with the quality of the stabilisation and the grab-and-go convenience factor, in between quad shots/changing batteries

• More extreme HHG-01 gimbal testing. I did not expect this to work!

• Righto! many excitings, The LanParte dev team have responded to my email by sending me the gyro set-up and calibration software. I can see that it has invert functions for all directions. The software is for PC's so I'll have to do a little messing about to get it to work properly on my Mac using vmware Fusion.

• I've had a few emails, messages and chats with friends about the review and of course more of a chance to use the Gimbal under the conditions that it was meant for. Some say I drove the HHG-01 too hard.

So for the record, given the state of current technology the HHG-01 is well worth the money and functions well.

I have emailed the support at LanParte about getting the software to recognise inverted operation -- hoping for a positive reply!

• Here's my review of the HHG-01:

After a quick trip to the workshop I've got it working well, certainly to a standard that justifies the asking price. However I did find a number of odd design issues.

In these tests I took the gimbal to higher and higher speeds until it started to lose lock.

I hope people find the tests useful!