Personal View site logo
New Panasonic firmware update for...the GH2?
  • http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh2.html

Version 1.2, adding "Improve the compatibility of Panasonic battery". Hope it is compatible with the 1.1 hacks.

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • We want the latest an greatest but forgot what can be done with a gh2 and not so great lens. Maybe this coronavirus wake us to a bit more "reality".

• Thanks so much!

• I reuploaded file.

• Hi Guys,

Can someone post the original firmware? None of the links work anymore.

Panasonic only host the new firmware

• ambisonic plugin for GH2?

• I just updated 1.2 as well. I haven't updated my GH2 for awhile now, is the HighBitrate setting new? Anyone tested that setting, results? Over the years I've used the GH2 hacked for all my projects, and realize clients and i hardly see any difference with all the hacks. So now I'm trying a job with the original 1.2 firmware and to shoot in all modes, 1080, 720p for slow motion, 24p, to see if it pulls it off. The advantage of the original firmware? I don't have to change SD card of 64gb card that can shoot over 8 hours.

• You are going to be ok. I just got a GH2 as well. Let me know what hack you install. I am running Cake 2.3 and it seems to be working just fine.

• Sorry for the triple posts - was able to go back to 1.1 and then hack. I will update if anything weird happens.

• Is it possible to downgrade back to 1.1? Does anyone know? I can't believe i screwed this up night 1. Ugh.

• I just bought a GH2 last night - installed firmware 1.2...and now I don't know if i can use ptool. Did i make a mistake and can i still hack my GH2 from firmware 1.2? OOPS!

• funny you say its noise for stills, i find it very good, ( as long as you dont bump up the ISO too much ) i use old canon FD lenses mostly so maybe theres something in that.. im not into the modern plastic, not so fantastic lenses. i dont use a speedbooster so they they are a bit longer focal length than stated, i like my nifty fifty canon 1:1.4 and my sigma 24mm .. cheers rob.

• Hi Rob, yes, that's me! The GH2 is amazing although it crapped out on me and I had to recover the files afterwards. That's why this video ends with a still - the file just stopped near the end. First time that's happened to me.

If you're into sound, the ambisonic plugin is really good - I've tried others but this one works extremely well (and it's free - what more can you ask!) and really useful for me as a musician since mic placement isn't easy when you're also playing and don't have ideal monitoring conditions on-site.

I find the GH2 a bit noisy and not so great for stills, but they are lovely little cameras (I use the Cake setting and have two cameras) and for the occasional jobs I do, they are great.

• Hi CFreak yes i am in a PAL country, Scotland UK, yeah i know the GH2 is a little old but still a good performer and TBH i just like to mess about making little home movies and a bit of photography so i dont need anything fancy, I will, of course experiment with HBR etc etc and see what i prefer re: bitrate but you have given me some useful info many thanks pal.

Mark_the_harp, you have demonstrated my point, although an older model, the GH2 will do nicely for my needs, and yes on the Ambisonic plugin, very interesting... BTW i dont know if that was you playing, im no harp expert but that sounded fantastic !

many thanks guys..Rob :O)

• I still love my gh2. This done last Friday. Mic was homemade b-format ambisonic recorded on Zoom h6 and decoded with new Rode ambisonic plugin (allows you to steer the mic after recording).

• @rob12770 At the time I did not have the fastest cards, I think mine were like 30 Mb/s and I needed reliability and spanning for shooting events. I found Sanity 5.1 (I think) with the PPA audio hack (built into Sanity 5.1 I think) worked great. I used an dummy battery to a larger external battery suppling 9.0 volts and I could turn it on & forget about it, getting 3 hour recording (until the card was full or the event ended).

I tried Sanity X when it came out but it wouldn't span reliably on my cards.

There is a topic on here about which hacks to use for which purposes.

IQ vs. reliability & spanning is generally what the different flavors offer.

You won't see many replies because most here have moved onto other cameras and the golden days of the GH2 are over, although most of us still have 1 or 2 in a drawer somewhere.

Are you in a PAL country? I think in 1080 only 23.976 & 29.97 were available. I think 50 and 60 fps were only available in 720P on the GH2 hardware and the hack can't change that.

http://personal-view.com/talks/categories/hack-top-settings

Out-of-date, but a starting point: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-settings-vault-most-popular-settings-in-one-place-quite-old#Item_45

• yes brudney i thought so thanks.. where do i get the settings ? it seems a bit random ? also what would you recommend for general use but with better video quality than stock ? i have a 64gb card at 95mbps cheers rob
    ps is 1080P @ 50FPS available ? like my old GH3 ( it was stolen )

• Use A-J letters at the bottom of ptool to load the settings, save the firmware and update your GH2 with it. You won't see any changes in the camera's menus or anything as it's all internal.

• guess not lol

• Hi, a bit OT but .. i just got a GH2 i used to have a GH3 but some rotten bastard stole it .. anyway i never used the hacks before, i think ive sussed out how to used the ptool and V1.1 FW ( not actually updated FW yet ) my question is.. this Driftwood for example thing etc etc.. are these just settings that i somehow load into the GH2 ? sorry im a bit clueless.. as you can tell. :O) edit.. ok i " sort of " have it.. i use the lettered buttons at the bottom of ptool for settings / changes.. so is this the driftwood etc thing ? cheers

..anyone ever read these posts ?.. i like to stick my finger up my arse while whistling Danny boy on the bus home.. lets see... :O)

• Tested and doesn't work. Well, Now we know a little more about why a new firmware. Thanks anyway

• @Kiklin

Well, if it works without update - it works.

At worst it can tell you that you have non compatible battery.

• Hello, I just bought a Panasonic DMW-BLC12 battery and it comes with a notification inside the box that says: update the firmware of the DMC-GH2 to the latest version if you are going to use this battery.

What could happen if I don't update? Is it any risk? because it says that it improve compatibility of panasonic battery. nothing else.

Can someone shed a bit of light on this matter? Thanks.

• its that a joke? I'm still got mine , and I will never sell , also If i got two GH5 anyone tested this new firmware?

• Does anyone have old(1.1) patch? And when will be the port of 1.2?