Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave It appears that the GX85 had this behavior too (But there was not too much buzz about it) and not anymore if you see the comparisons video with g85.

At 3.10 you see this exact same kind of stickiness. There is also in the same site a comparison with the Pen F where it is even more obvious.

The panasonic gx85 received a 1.1 update in september, so maybe this explains that. Time will tell.

• Amazing in all the 100 reviews I'd watched and read, before plunking down my hard earned money… no one had mentioned it. It's the same story here. These reviewers are usually in the pocket of the camera manufacturer (one way or another) and don't want to upset that (potential) relationship

Problem here is not relationship, it is about having set testing method and also not to have economic interests in always produce positive reviews. Most of reviews lack both.

• When the 5D mk2 and then the 7D came out everyone was raving about the video quality. I bought the 7D a few weeks after it was released and found the moire was terrible and the images weren't suitable for a professional shoot, if there was going to be any hard edge in the frame. I actually couldn't use it for a planned shoot, due to this. Amazing in all the 100 reviews I'd watched and read, before plunking down my hard earned money… no one had mentioned it. It's the same story here. These reviewers are usually in the pocket of the camera manufacturer (one way or another) and don't want to upset that (potential) relationship, since they are just 1 person in a darkroom trying to get paid for their mouse clicks in an editing program of a video they star in. So they design their shots or their edit to not include or show the problem (if they even know at all).

• Btw, Panasonic again made quite bad matting of viewfinder (it has some internal reflections). It is common for their cheap cameras. Allows to save from $0.5 to $1.

• Stab sound

• @kritzresn I have a GX85 and haven't seen anything that gives me any concerns about moire. I should say I shoot in 4K almost exclusively and deliver in 1080.

• So pretty much explains the "oddness" iv been seeing in early review video's, indeed when you compare it to gx80/85 stuff its so much worse.

Another thing for those of you out there who have some experience with both the G7 and GX80/85 or G80/85, how do you like the removal of the AA filter on the 8 series ? did anyone do a side by side test for aliasing and moire perhaps ? in theory the G7 should have some less moire and aliasing.. just really wondering how big the difference is. anyone ?

• It's unknown at this point whether the issue can be fixed, but you can bet that Panasonic will look into it, or fix it on the next camera.

Even worse thing is that Panasonic communications are broken.

For example, I look at UK office where Nick is star now - except small local presentations and big exhibitions they cut all communications in last 2 years. They keep few people around who tell pleasing things.

• @Gaspard one of the nice things about the GX85 (not the G85, yikes, the naming convention is stupid) is that it has been shown at this point, in side by side tests, to behave normally on pans compared to the G85. It's unknown at this point whether the issue can be fixed, but you can bet that Panasonic will look into it, or fix it on the next camera.

• Yesterday I had an answer from a G80/85 owner through 'Panasonic Customer Community', he told me that when asked for the IBIS problem to be solved, Panasonic answered that in 48/72h he should have news regarding this issue, so probably expect some kind of Panasonic Communication for Tuesday...

• @aldolega

Does the G85 have the option to downscale 4K to 1080 for the HDMI output? Like the GH4 can?

Must have. As I know all 4K cameras have 1080p output option, as you just can have no 4K TV or monitor around.

• About this "sticky pans" thing

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/05/18/panasonic-gx85-gx80-review/#Video_review

At around 3.10, the pan looks awfully similar to those i've seen from the g80. It seems that the gx80 can do it too if asked nicely! Has this camera received a firmware update since release?

• Does the G85 have the option to downscale 4K to 1080 for the HDMI output? Like the GH4 can?

• @Skomer a highly experienced person who uses the cams for video will pick up a camera like this and spot the problem right away. They will shoot some video, and they will see the problem. Most of the reviewers, nothing personal, are from the photo background. The fact that a lot of people missed it is just the way it is.

• @hanriverprod In fact I do believe all the users reporting the issue, and @Vitaliy_Kiselev is right: for instance Matt from Artoftheimage.com is uploading lots of videos of the G80/85 and not a word about this IBIS problem, just keeps saying that the camera is great, feels great, etc (of course it is!), but it has a big major issue/problem. All he does is finishing his clips telling us to follow the links below if we buy, not the best way to act if you want to help your followers. I do ask him to comment the issue through twitter and youtube but nothing, the only thing he answered to another user's question about this is 'nothing so far'.... By the way, Marcin made another video analizing the situation and he says Panasonic contacted him, so there's still hope:

• @hanriverprod

One thing is for certain - Panasonic missed it during quality control.
    They now know about this, but only from us.

Current situation with cameras also played big role. All review sites now try to publish previews and reviews as fast as they can, usually posting them within minutes after NDA lift. It is capitalism, so they try to win at all cost and get most views and income. And during such run for money real quality slowly deteriorates.

• I know you want to believe but after testing three bodies and extensively analyzing all the uploaded videos, I believe this is not a bad production run but a feature/bug of the camera. But if you are skeptical of other users' findings then you should go to your local camera store and test it yourself if they have a display model.

Just be sure to vary your speed or change direction whether you are shooting handheld or using a tripod. If you find that the footage is acceptable then please share it with us.

• Not a word about the IBIS issue on the 'Field Test' from Imaging Resource... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g85/panasonic-g85A.HTM?utm_content=bufferc0a12&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#shooting

This is really confusing. Could it be that just the first unities delivered were bad? I really don't think so, but a Field Test shoud cover panning & tilting handheld video...

• What about the noise? Sureley it can't be that bad:

• I think Panasonic leaves some issues so that people will want to buy their next model too. It is brilliant marketing. I have a stabilization issue with my GH4 and 14-140mm lens and I want to buy a better lens like 12-60mm or a body with IBIS. This issue strategy works.

• People are trying to work or edit around the problem. I filmed a lot with it over the weekend as well as seeing two other G85s at the store behaving the same way. It does not matter if it is a diagonal move, a tilt or a pan, any change in speed or direction during the movement will result in this drag/rush/snapping.

• @jules

Did not see any big rotation on samples first presented here.

• Interesting comments at the 43rumours.com link above re IBIS issue: This IBIS pan 'issue' is due to rotating the camera about its z axis and the IBIS trying to correct the movement. If you pan in a smooth arc with the camera a little away from your body the pan is very smooth (gyro doesn't pick up a rotation of the camera).