Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • @aldolega

Does the G85 have the option to downscale 4K to 1080 for the HDMI output? Like the GH4 can?

Must have. As I know all 4K cameras have 1080p output option, as you just can have no 4K TV or monitor around.

• Yesterday I had an answer from a G80/85 owner through 'Panasonic Customer Community', he told me that when asked for the IBIS problem to be solved, Panasonic answered that in 48/72h he should have news regarding this issue, so probably expect some kind of Panasonic Communication for Tuesday...

• @Gaspard one of the nice things about the GX85 (not the G85, yikes, the naming convention is stupid) is that it has been shown at this point, in side by side tests, to behave normally on pans compared to the G85. It's unknown at this point whether the issue can be fixed, but you can bet that Panasonic will look into it, or fix it on the next camera.

• It's unknown at this point whether the issue can be fixed, but you can bet that Panasonic will look into it, or fix it on the next camera.

Even worse thing is that Panasonic communications are broken.

For example, I look at UK office where Nick is star now - except small local presentations and big exhibitions they cut all communications in last 2 years. They keep few people around who tell pleasing things.

• So pretty much explains the "oddness" iv been seeing in early review video's, indeed when you compare it to gx80/85 stuff its so much worse.

Another thing for those of you out there who have some experience with both the G7 and GX80/85 or G80/85, how do you like the removal of the AA filter on the 8 series ? did anyone do a side by side test for aliasing and moire perhaps ? in theory the G7 should have some less moire and aliasing.. just really wondering how big the difference is. anyone ?

• @kritzresn I have a GX85 and haven't seen anything that gives me any concerns about moire. I should say I shoot in 4K almost exclusively and deliver in 1080.

• Stab sound

• Btw, Panasonic again made quite bad matting of viewfinder (it has some internal reflections). It is common for their cheap cameras. Allows to save from $0.5 to $1.

• When the 5D mk2 and then the 7D came out everyone was raving about the video quality. I bought the 7D a few weeks after it was released and found the moire was terrible and the images weren't suitable for a professional shoot, if there was going to be any hard edge in the frame. I actually couldn't use it for a planned shoot, due to this. Amazing in all the 100 reviews I'd watched and read, before plunking down my hard earned money… no one had mentioned it. It's the same story here. These reviewers are usually in the pocket of the camera manufacturer (one way or another) and don't want to upset that (potential) relationship, since they are just 1 person in a darkroom trying to get paid for their mouse clicks in an editing program of a video they star in. So they design their shots or their edit to not include or show the problem (if they even know at all).

• Amazing in all the 100 reviews I'd watched and read, before plunking down my hard earned money… no one had mentioned it. It's the same story here. These reviewers are usually in the pocket of the camera manufacturer (one way or another) and don't want to upset that (potential) relationship

Problem here is not relationship, it is about having set testing method and also not to have economic interests in always produce positive reviews. Most of reviews lack both.

• @DrDave It appears that the GX85 had this behavior too (But there was not too much buzz about it) and not anymore if you see the comparisons video with g85.

At 3.10 you see this exact same kind of stickiness. There is also in the same site a comparison with the Pen F where it is even more obvious.

The panasonic gx85 received a 1.1 update in september, so maybe this explains that. Time will tell.

• @Gaspard the GX85 is way better as the vid shows with the two cams on the same mount.

• @kritzresn I have not seen significant moiree of stair stepping on either the GX85 or the G7. After grading a ton of side by side LOG footy and regular footy of the same scene, the GX85 is maybe one percent sharper but the LOG+leeming LUT gives at least a stop of extra DR which makes the image really pop on the screen.

• Re stab sound--this is only an issue if you are using the in cam sound, but you can hear some faint noise from any IS system both in lens and in cam.
    Let me just say that this is an illusion--the compression doesn't find anything to compress, so it keeps jacking up the volume to normalize the sound. In other words, testing the the compression system in a quiet room is exactly the wrong way to test the noise. If it didn't boost the signal, it would not be doing its job. If you quietly farted, it would also boost the signal into the roar of a jet engine.

• @DrDave No doubt about that. That wasn't my point, but again, time will tell. I hope/bet it will be enhanced by firmware. This is an interesting cam for sure!

• For video, compare to GX85 is there a better image quality, better color, skin tone, any noticeable improvements (besides hardware)? I know G85 has 4:2:2 8bit. But if you are not using a green screen, is there a noticeable difference?

• Internal codec is 4:2:0 8bit. 4:2:2 8bit only via hdmi.

• A quick but interesting update on the IBIS problem during video capture. Dan Bracaglia, G80/85 reviewer for DPReview, wrote this today on the comments section below his review:

'Dan Bracaglia

A quick update on the issue surrounding 'jerkiness' or 'stickiness' when panning during video capture with IBIS engage: Panasonic engineers are aware of the issue. I've been in touch with Panasonic USA and they've conveyed your/our concerns to the factory. I'll update when I hear anything more.

In the mean time, you can use E-stablization (with IBIS switched off) for panned shots, without having to worry about any 'stickiness.' Just note that there is a slight crop factor (you can see an example of it on the Video & Features page of the review).'

Would be better to have a firmware compromise but at least seems like Panasonic will try to fix it.

• A quick update on the issue surrounding 'jerkiness' or 'stickiness' when panning during video capture with IBIS engage: Panasonic engineers are aware of the issue. I've been in touch with Panasonic USA and they've conveyed your/our concerns to the factory.

Panasonic had been aware about issue much sooner than US guys think :-)

Fact that we still do not have official PR can also mean that issue is hardware and they consult with legal team.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You mean that perhaps they are evaluating consequences of assuming they've put a product (and lots of commercial stuff) on sale with an unfixable issue?? What do you mean PR? (Product replacement)? Thanks

• Pretty sure PR means press release.

• We are aware hahahahahahaha
    Losers. Take your crap camera back and make a new one that works as good as the old one.

• I'm a little bemused by the crazed hysteria. The stablization issue seemed to come to light just over a week ago. They've acknowledged it and said they're working on it. Fair enough.

An official PR announcement at this stage would be highly irregular. I think it's a little uncharitable (and completely speculative) to suggest it's due to legal consultations.

• They've acknowledged it and said they're working on it. Fair enough.

No, they did not. While they know about issue nothing about actual "work" is known.

They must had release information on Monday but postponed it, and it can mean that issue is more serious.

• Ok so how long do you think a reasonable duration would be for them to identify the cause, implement a fix, and test sufficiently before releasing it out into the wild?

And again, no competent manufacturer is going to release an official PR statement outlining a product defect when it could potentially be addressed by firmware. It would be an act of self destruction. Ideal situation for them is for it to appear as though there never was an issue to begin with.