Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • I agree, but it is simple enough to use the wireless app as a work around. I have to say, I prefer it the way it is. When I'm in a hurry, I just want to see the Aperture in Aperture mode instantly without wondering which is which. On my Olympus, it always takes me a fraction of a second to grab the right number and the right wheel--a side effect of having lots of different cameras.

When I want to look at both settings, I use M mode, and if I want to keep an eye on S & A while in one of the modes I can see it on the wireless app. It would be nice if you could customize it.

95 percent of the time I'm in M mode, but for Theatre work you have to have exposure compensation of some kind, but then of course I don't care what the camera does as long as it quickly adjusts to lighting effects.

• I think this is a true bargain that has been over looked as well. If you feel your missing the GH4 VLog hype go to the "GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail" thread about page 42. Balaser created some LUTS to bring CineD into a log space for the GH4. It seems to work great for the G7 as well. The opinion is the GH4 and G7 UHD are almost identical with some saying G7 is a little better. I don't have a GH4 to compare but these LUTS seem to work perfectly with the G7 CineD and are worth checking out. Make sure to follow his instructions for setting up CineD to use his LUTS correctly.

• @Scot How do the Zebras work with exposure? Can you recommend a target exposure for the G7 when using the CineD and the LUTS?

• Hi Everyone, I'm seriously considering grabbing a G7, as they're obtainable NEW for $600-ish, which is very attractive to me right now.

On the subject of it's 30 Minute Recording Limit, I'm seeing Confusing Information on Panasonics's Site (which I was directed to after asking a Seller about this, as he was showing 100 Minutes of Continuous Recording on his Listing.

Here is the info from Panasonic...

NOTE- Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] in [4K] is 29 minutes 59 seconds.

NOTE- You can continuously record a motion picture with its size set to [4K] in [MP4] or [4K PHOTO] without a pause even if the motion picture exceeds 4GB. However, the recorded content has to be played back as multiple files. (Isn't this what ALL HD cams do... Multiple Files that play back as one on the timeline???)

NOTE- Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] in [FHD] [HD] [VGA] is 29 minutes 59 seconds or up to 4 GB.

NOTE- Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [AVCHD] is 29 minutes 59 seconds in Europe.

Can someone confirm...does this camera SPAN 4gb files like most cams out there, or does it literally STOP after 4gb/30 mins?

I could use this cam with or without, but I'd LOVE IT if it WOULD keep recording.

Thanks so much, Erik

• I had the same questions prior to purchasing. See my post on September 29: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/12408/panasonic-g7-topic-4k-castrate-monster-or-gh4-for-poor/p14

tldr: mp4 doesn't span 4gb files- hard 30 minute limit. avchd is unlimited.

• @quadrabay

It stops at 30 min. One on our deals don't/

• Thanks John and Vitaliy!

I just got off a chat with Panasonic, and I was told that this camera SPANS...Period. (4K too!) And the note from Panasonic's Site makes that same promise - Multiple Files - 4gb / 29 Mins each.

Is there a specific VERSION of this cam I should be looking for to get the Spanning???

The eBay listing that got me going with this claimed 100 Minutes of CONTINUOUS MOVIE recording (assuming that is the Kit Battery endurance)

Am I way off here? I'd LOVE to grab one of these puppies, and I'd use it even WITH the limit for film work, but I do LOTS of Play Recording, and I'd LOVE to get the improved batteries John is talking about and be in G7 HEAVEN if possible...ya know?

Thanks again for the VERY kind help with this!!!

Erik

• @quadrabay

People who replied actually made tests :-) Panasonic girls did not.

• @quadrabay From the comments here there appears to be a number of different versions of the G7 out there all with differing capabilities and restrictions.

My non-European PAL version happily spans files regardless of time limitations. When recording MP4 there is a restriction of 30 mins duration. There is no time limit on AVCHD however 4K is not available in this format.

• Thanks Fahrenheit!

I'm hoping someone out there knows which one "might" have the capabilities we're discussing in 4K-Land as well. If I'm only getting an AVCHD cam, I'll snag yet another AMAZING GH-1 for $200, as those babies are MUCH more amazing than folks realize...ESPECIALLY for Stills. My GH-2 is sitting in a bag somewhere because its inner focusing was NOT satisfactory for me, and it has some sort of AWFUL ISO noise in the upper left corner that makes the cam un-useable for me. I'm actually afraid to sell it because I don't know if that's a standard issue with the GH-2, or if mine is defective somehow.

Thanks again, Erik

• Does the G7 that is offered HERE have 4K spanning, and which one is it?

Thanks, Erik

• This has to be one of the most cryptic threads ever here on P-V. So if I need 4K 25p and 1080 50p without any time limits in a good codec, is the camera deal here on the forum the one to choose? A couple of years before one could get Panasonic bodies (i.e G6) from Hong Kong (PAL 50Hz country) with no time limits.

• So if I need 4K 25p and 1080 50p without any time limits in a good codec, is the camera deal here on the forum the one to choose? A couple of years before one could get Panasonic bodies (i.e G6) from Hong Kong (PAL 50Hz country) with no time limits.

Yep. Panasonic made one step further with G7, yes.

• You have two choices, you can buy the one from Vitaliy that works, or you can buy the other ones that don't work, although they might work, except probably not, then sell those on eBay and buy the one that does work. It's really a question of time and money.

You can also call up Panasonic or a camera store, and get a random answer from someone making $2/hour, or you can flip a coin, or you can read the confusing and contradictory stuff in the press releases, then flip the coin, the buy the wrong camera, then sell it on eBay.

I figure my time is worth something, so I skipped all the BS part. Just sayin'.

You could also wait for the GM7 or the GH5

• I was told this by Panasonic just now...

Trion R Okay. 6:40:17 PM Thank you for your patience. 6:44:44 PM In regards to my checks spanning is capable with 4K contents on the unit.

I will probably take a chance on this cam, for the price/quality ratio, and I can still use it even if it does not span in 4k as I would LOVE it to, and as Panny is claiming it does.

Erik

• @quadrabay

Have no idea that this means.

• Yes it does span I own one. It has the standard limit but it does span. Panasonic even has an application that will reconnect the files into one. Though it seems to make them 30 fps even if you shoot 24 fps. I see no way to control that but now just combine them in resolve. As to the deal on the site it seems great but the first firmware update will probably put that limit back in there seems to be no guarantee it won't. Gives hope that there will be a future hack to take away the limit. As for me the 29 minute limit is not a major issue so I kept with a US unit and got the 3 year warranty. I figure it is satisfactory to hold me over to the release of a GH5. I miss headphone out, and HDMI out while recording more but I can live with it.

• Thanks Scot!

Did you buy it HERE, or elsewhere? Is the one you own a US Unit, but still spans? But you're saying yours is the original Firmware?

Thanks, Erik

• @quadrabay

Sorry, but all this added such a mess here, please read the topic before your posts.

US or PAL versions both have 30 min limit in 4K and high bitrate 1080p.
    Deal version is NTSC and does not have this limit.
    And it has nothing to do with spanning.

• Also...is there an application out there (PC) that will conveniently Downconvert the 4K files to 1080P? I can always simply do this in my editor (Edius) but it would be GREAT to have a convenient way to simply tell some software where the 4K files are, and automagically make them 1080p while I'm "doing many other things" and waiting. (like sleeping, for instance...)

Erik

• @quadrabay

Use another topic for this question, please.

• @DrDave Sorry missed your post. The 2 available zebras can be set from 50% to 105% and work great. I have done some crude tests inside and out and am thrilled with the Luts so far. As far as exposure set normally. Using CineD vs say a GH4 vlog it is more of a what you see is what you get. I use them with Resolve which is such a Breeze to use these Luts with. I apply the CineD to Log in the media bin. Than the Log to 709 to a node with or without light roll off as needed in the timeline or group the G7 clips together and apply them to the group as Resolve permits. I than create a node in each clip and do my log corrections as needed.

• There is a post on PhotoFunStudio that comes with camera and it will down convert. I suggest putting any questions there :)

• @Scot thanks that is very helpful. Have you tried the curve adjustment feature? I'm very curious about that, it looks like a very powerful feature.

@quadrabay and the rest of you spanners lurking about. I think it's important to separate out spanning from time limit. Spanning traditionally means that when you get up to whatever the file size limit is, you start a new file. AVCHD "spanning" has its own set of annoying problems, and usually with MP4 clips, you just select them all and dump them on the timeline. On the GH2 (and the GH1) the camera would sometimes "choke" on a high bit rate or complex scene right when it was supposed to span, i.e., create a new file seamlessly after the previous one. So "spanning" in a hacked cam meant that it could record longer, even though there was no actual time limit. It recorded longer because it did not grind to a shuddering halt.

However, spanning does not mean a thing if the camera stops at its hard-coded time limit. When the camera stops after 30 minutes, there is no recording, and, therefore, no spanning. It's nailed to the perch.

Lastly, though Panasonic cameras use spanning, this is seriously stupid. A camera need not span at all; it can just make a really big file like the Sony ax100. Up to a point. Some cameras can also "span" two cards.

However, Vitaliy's magic cam just keeps on truckin'.