Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • Now Im have occurred a stupid idea, try if can job in the GX7 (some say the same sensor GH4), but now isnt free.

• Opened in Davinci Resolve. Applied an S-Curve and nothing else.

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 18.19.56.png
    719 x 379 - 429K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 18.19.27.png
    717 x 376 - 524K
  • Any downloadable files using v-log to test grading?

• @joethepro it's the Cineon grade. Here is the darkest shot with the Varicam LUT which is brighter.

Varicam.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 651K
  • Not seeing any banding or noise. I see some subtle Halation bands when pointed into the light, but no banding elsewhere.

Did an extreme DR test where the range would exceed the 12 stops, and highlights would blow but just barely.

• ISO400, WB 4300, one key light, and the house lights which left the walls metering out between 3-8 stops under 0.

• The bounce off the wall + the ambient light hitting my shadow side hovers around 3 stops under. And I just turned the camera around held it at arms length and turned in a circle.

• In the 4th image my skin highlights are 5 stops over and the shadows behind me in the doorway are 8 stops under.

When the highlights go, it's ugly. But It was important for me to study the curves...and it's not as gentle on the high side as it is on the shadow side. You get 4 stops above, and then at 5 they're blown (Actually they're probably blown at 4 1/3 but I'll do fractional tests later). On the shadow side, it just keeps going down nice and smooth.

Probably should have shaved, cuz the detail is insane, and I look a bit disheveled. [it had been a long day]

I'm using a custom interpretation LUT that is still in development.

Opinion so far: It's not what I had hoped for, but it does offer some new possibilities. Techniques will have to change a bit. Those hoping the 12DR would mean not having to use ND on windows, or fill lights ever again, will likely be disappointed. But those who employ sound lighting techniques will really enjoy it more than the current options. Grading is fun though.

More testing to come.

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 3.00.17 AM.jpg
    2482 x 1281 - 1021K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 3.00.40 AM.jpg
    2479 x 1278 - 925K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 3.01.08 AM.jpg
    2482 x 1280 - 954K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 3.02.01 AM.jpg
    2478 x 1278 - 958K
  • thank you !

• @aaronchicago - Since the Cineon converter in Premiere is quite old, you notice there is no "32" symbol next to it, hence it's not using 32 bit fp processing. Film a shot of a blue sky with v-log, as you adjust exposure. Drop it into Premiere timeline, add Cineon and watch the banding in the sky as the exposure in the clip is adjusted. Now try Lumetri Color, which utilizes 32 bit fp, and youll notice no banding (or at least significantly less). *Edit - another way to visualize this, is to open your RGB parade as you do these corrections, and watch the gaps that form when using non-32-bit color adjustments.

I must say, I am really liking this V-log profile. Exposure can be a little tricky, though when you nail it, the images come out super clean! While I was originally most in love with the highlight retention, @Shian is right, the shadows are nice and smooth, granted you don't underexpose.

Already feel that it is worth the $99 to have this flexibility when you need it - and of course, it will only be better when recording externally :)

*Edit#2 - not sure if this only applies to AE or also PP, though here it talks about Cineon supporting 32-bit color: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/utility-effects.html#cineon_converter_effect

• @sam_rides_a_mtb interesting! I will try that. Yep you're right. Is there a 32 bit Cineon converter available anywhere?

• vlog with internal recording: worth the price and going down that road?

• Many thanks to those who have recently purchased the LUMIX GH4 V-Log L upgrade. We are aware of an oversight in our Panasonic Image App which allows enabling of V-Log L as a “custom” setting without purchase. This was not our intent, and our apologies for the oversight.

We appreciate the many messages of support for the continuing development of innovative new products and features, and Panasonic intends to stand behind your investment in V-Log L and the LUMIX GH4. Therefore, it’s important to know that future LUMIX GH4 firmware upgrades, including mobile app upgrade pushes, will disable unlicensed activations of V-Log L. In addition, it’s Panasonic’s service policy to upgrade firmware during warranty claims, thereby eliminating unlicensed features. Thank you again for your continued support of Panasonic and the LUMIX G camera system and innovations yet to come.

A new firmware V2.4 will be available starting Sept 17th. Use of the V-Log L workaround associated with firmware Version 2.3 runs the risk of the Zebra Function not working and the Histogram reading improperly.

http://lumixlounge.com/2015/09/vloglactivationissue/

Firmware v2.4 Tomorrow

• @sam_rides_a_mtb I was under the impression Premiere was 32 bit float. But you're right. I took off Cineon and added the Varicam LUT - no more banding.

• 200 deluts from James Miller with a bit of help from me. http://deluts.businesscatalyst.com/deluts-gh4r-vlog-l.html

• @driftwood

it’s Panasonic’s service policy to upgrade firmware during warranty claims, thereby eliminating unlicensed features

Sometimes I wonder about people writing such PRs.

Instead of taking chance and jump on the train they act like Anna Karenina (with same courage on the face).

• 200 deluts from James Miller with a bit of help from me. http://deluts.businesscatalyst.com/deluts-gh4r-vlog-l.html

This one is commercial proposal, as I see.

And why 200? Why not 2000?

• So what could be a possible adverse effect on this mishap by Panasonic on this epic fail deployment?

Panasonic tries to recoup money lost on this upgrade by adding the cost of this lost to the next GHxx and passing that to consumers.

Panasonic decides not to do any more useful firmware upgrade on the GH4

Panasonic GH line is canned lol

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev He lives up the road from me, I'm not making anything on it at all. Its there if people want to try out some of James' stuff without making their own. He's gone thru a whole range of day/night/scenarios. He gives some away to try if I remember.

• @driftwood

It is also amazing chance really make VLOG to use whole available values range.

• So what could be a possible adverse effect on this mishap by Panasonic on this epic fail deployment?

One big drunk party for Panasonic DSC division management in upcoming weekend.

• further study: underexposing midtones in v-log by a 2/3-1 1/3; not a terrible idea. The highlight rolloff....isn't much of a rolloff, it's a pretty linear slope. But the shadows rolloff like crazy - how much of that is usable rolloff remains to be seen, but so far, the internal footage is very pliable.

• @driftwood I bought the 200 LUTs...AA...BB...CC...is there a pattern or a description which is which and does what?

• I bought the 200 LUTs...AA...BB...CC...is there a pattern or a description which is which and does what?

It is like quest. One of this 200 LUTs will make best picture from your footage, you just need to find which one.

• 2.3 firmware downloads: > 1,000,000

2.4 firmware downloads: < 10 (and 8 of the 10 work for Panasonic!)